FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 May 2018, 09:31

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 16:19 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Plasma vs. LCD?

HDMI cable brand...does it matter?

For older films, is there any real difference between a BR version and an upconverted regular one?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 02:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

TK421 wrote:
Plasma vs. LCD?

For older films, is there any real difference between a BR version and an upconverted regular one?

From what I've heard about HDMI cables: they're digital cables. The signal either gets there, or they don't. So no need for golden plugs or platinum lined cables or anything; the cheap ass ones at the cash register should be just as good as the ones with 'Denon' or something else expensive on them.
Unless of course I'm full of shit, and someone can give me a good explanation why I'm full of it.

Common bias in Plasma vs. LCD:
- LCD is more energy efficient: While LCD uses the same amount of energy all the time, Plasma energy output is variable. It all depends on the amount of brightness on screen. Hence, when watching a dark movie the screen will use less energy. When watching something really bright, the screen will use more energy then LCD.
When adding this together, they use up about the same amounts.
- Plasma screens have the tendency to burn in when paused (or on a steady logo): this seems to have been resolved in the current screens.

I've read a lot of tests lately, and appartently Panasonic plasma screens are the best to look at overall. It all does depend on personal taste, though. Do take a look yourself, and ask for some different types of showings on the same screen (I saw some screens that had razor sharp stills, but really sucked on some sports showings).

Other than that, the Full HD screens seem like the best option, but only when the screen is large enough to profit from it. You won't need Full HD on a 20" screen, for instance. Again, this comes down to personal taste.

Oh, and the best option for a BluRay player is probably still the Playstation 3. It now costs a little more than a stand alone player, but it comes with a whole lot more too.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 02:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Gizmondo Cable war

More Cable information

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 03:29 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Middle wrote:
TK421 wrote:

From what I've heard about HDMI cables: they're digital cables. The signal either gets there, or they don't. So no need for golden plugs or platinum lined cables or anything; the cheap ass ones at the cash register should be just as good as the ones with 'Denon' or something else expensive on them.
Unless of course I'm full of shit, and someone can give me a good explanation why I'm full of it.

You are not full of shit. HDMI cable brand doesn't matter one bit.

TK421 wrote:

It depends. I've not found a whole lot of difference. Some movies look shit regardless. Some movies look better on Blu-ray. I have Die Hard on BR, for instance, and while it looks very good, I don't know if it was worth the money. But in my experience it really depends on the quality of the release in the first place. You're not going to get an Ed Wood film to look sharp, it doesn't matter how much they upconvert it.

As for LCD v Plasma, it really is a matter of preference. I certainly didn't care when I got my 42" TV. I say just look at them playing back whatever you'll be using it for, and pick one in your pricerange which works. I have a Samsung and I'm very happy with it.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 06:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Thanks all.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 07:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

np

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 08:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Nunis wrote:
TK421 wrote:

It depends. I've not found a whole lot of difference. Some movies look shit regardless. Some movies look better on Blu-ray. I have Die Hard on BR, for instance, and while it looks very good, I don't know if it was worth the money. But in my experience it really depends on the quality of the release in the first place. You're not going to get an Ed Wood film to look sharp, it doesn't matter how much they upconvert it.

Thinking on this more...

It sounds to me as if my thoughts on this were true, but does anyone have a good idea of when the distinction would be?

I mean, something like the old Superman would probably not see a drastic improvement by playing a BR version versus playing the normal one via upconvert. The new one, however, as it was filmed newer technology would probably improve greatly (visually).

So is there a general guidline? IE...movies made after 200X/199X should be purchased in BR format, but anything before that is going to be about the same.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 08:47 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I think it really depends on how much work the studio is willing to do to a movie. Are they willing to go back to the master and make a digital copy? Or are they just gonna use the original version from the DVD? Are they going to go in and restore it? I have seen several DVDs of older movies (think 40's/50's) that they have gone in and restored to they look pristine on my Blu Ray, yet I just saw Time Bandits and there were a lot of artifacts in the dack regions of the movie. As for recent releases, maybe back to 2000 or even into the 90s. When did they make the switch to promenantly DVD over VHS?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 10:12 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

sldawgs wrote:
I think it really depends on how much work the studio is willing to do to a movie. Are they willing to go back to the master and make a digital copy? Or are they just gonna use the original version from the DVD? Are they going to go in and restore it? I have seen several DVDs of older movies (think 40's/50's) that they have gone in and restored to they look pristine on my Blu Ray, yet I just saw Time Bandits and there were a lot of artifacts in the dack regions of the movie. As for recent releases, maybe back to 2000 or even into the 90s. When did they make the switch to promenantly DVD over VHS?

I saw the first dvd's around 1997, so for it to become mainstream it was probably around 2000.
It also really depends what the source is where they pull it from. I hear some Blurays are converted from Imax recordings to get better quality (this is from older movies, of course). But I guess like some dvd's really phoning it in, you can probably get some garbage (or at least there will be in the near future).

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2008, 05:43 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I have got a Blu Ray Player and got two blu ray discs, with excellent quality ofcourse.

I wanted to view my dvd's upscaled on my Blu Ray, only I found out about 60% of my dvd's have a different region code than my Blu Ray player. And apparently you cant make those Blu Ray players region free. So now I have a nice blu ray player which I never use.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 08:56 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Nunis wrote:
I have a Samsung and I'm very happy with it.

I'd buy Samsung again in a heartbeat. I also would consider their DLP screens if you want to save a few bucks (though both LCD and Plasma have come down quite a lot since I bought).

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 12:56 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

By the way, if you were one of those poor unfortunate souls (and I include myself in this group) who went with HD-DVD when it came out, Warner has a great offer to upgrade your discs to Blu-Ray for $4.95 each. And you get to keep your HD-DVD copies.

http://www.red2blu.com

Now I can just hope that Universal and Paramount follow suit....