FilmWise Forums
It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 00:52

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 11:44 
the best part of the dvd is the audio commetaries track because you can out many different thing about your favorite movies.
i think one of my dvd audio commtaries IS THE TRUE ROMANCE.
SOme people do not like the commtaries because they think it take the out of watching a movie.
i disagree it inform you more about the movie.
do you agree or disagree.
also tell your favorite commtaries and less commtaries.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 12:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

dvd2479 wrote:
the best part of the dvd is the audio commetaries track because you can out many different thing about your favorite movies.
SOme people do not like the commtaries because they think it take the out of watching a movie.

I've never listened to the commentaries. I'm sure you're right, I'm sure they're great, but I just cant do it.
I started watching Fight Club with the commentary on, but after 10 minutes I just couldnt any more, and just watched the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 12:59 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

If it's a movie I like I always listen to the commentaries when available. It's a way to wring just a little bit more out of a movie you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 13:51 
Meh
Meh

MP Holy Grail's is great! They're always quoting the movie and laughing...like me :D It feels like you're watching the movie with them. And there are also very interesting and funy stories along the way....

I always try to listen to audio commentaries

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 14:49 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

luke_os wrote:
dvd2479 wrote:

I've never listened to the commentaries. I'm sure you're right, I'm sure they're great, but I just cant do it.
I started watching Fight Club with the commentary on, but after 10 minutes I just couldnt any more, and just watched the movie.

1. Doesn't anyone proofread anymore?
2. I love the commentary on Fight Club. Norton comes off a little "trying to sound smart," bur Pitt is hilarious.
3. I love any commentary on a Kevin Smith movie.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 15:35 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Kfink wrote:

I'm with you, Kfink! I'm pretty anal about checking the spelling and grammar of my emails and posts.

Back to the subject at hand....I just recently got a DVD player, so I haven't listened to that many commentary tracks yet. My favorite so far is "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." Cameron Crowe and Amy Heckerling had interesting anecdotes about the film. (My favorite: Cameron Crowe says that every Led Zeppelin fan thinks that he's the first to point out that Kashmir is not on Led Zeppelin 4.) I think that's what makes a good commentary track -- when the participants have interesting stories about the making of the film. The worst commentary tracks are the ones that get too philosophical and/or self-congratulatory. The Onion had a couple of great features about when commentary tracks go bad:

Commentary Tracks Of The Damned (http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3832/avfeature_3832.html)

Curse of the Commentary Tracks Of The Damned (http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3928/avfeature_3928.html)

The articles are hilarious! I'm actually considering renting some of these horrible movies just to see how bad the commentary tracks really are.

Last edited by Sugarpuss O'Shea on 12 Sep 2003, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 15:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I watched the commentary for ghostbusters, which is pretty good, like ze said for holy grail, they're their making fun of their own work and quoting it and telling stories and it's fun to watch and listen too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2003, 20:38 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

I usually listen to them (if I have time in the case of a rental). Sometimes I'll just listen to them for certain scenes. I've also just listened to the commentary for a movie I know well while I'm on the computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2003, 03:37 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Yeha I try to watch them too, they're usually pretty interesting. I've seen a few though which have been awful and if that's the case I turn it off. But if it has director/cast members I like, I usually enjoy them and I learn more interesting bits about the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2003, 05:13 
Producer
Producer

I listen to Commentary tracks all the time. One of my favorite parts of the whole DVD experience. :wink:

As a result, of course, I've had to sit through some really dull ones. :D

My all-time favorite is John Carpenter/Kurt Russell on The Thing. Entertaining and informative..just a couple of old friends swapping memories. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2003, 06:04 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

All time favourite is The Scorpion King. The Rock is really funny and basically tells a funny little story around each scene, based on what happened, his mum even phones up and you hear him having a conversation to her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2003, 09:53 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Off the top of my head, these excellent movies have my least favorite and favorite commentaries:

Airplane! commentary: Image
Ferris Bueller's Day Off commentary: Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2003, 05:10 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

AD2112 wrote:
My all-time favorite is John Carpenter/Kurt Russell on The Thing. Entertaining and informative..just a couple of old friends swapping memories. 8)

then try John Carpenter/Kurt Russel on Big Trouble in Little China. Not very informative but very entertaining! :D

I also like the commentarys, best thing on a DVD (apart..from the movie itself...)
I can highly recommend the "Alien" commentary from Ridley Scott. Very informative stuff about the movie.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2003, 05:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Kfink wrote:
2. I love the commentary on Fight Club. Norton comes off a little "trying to sound smart," bur Pitt is hilarious.

I think you answered yourself here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2003, 06:50 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Don't get me started on proofreading. :o

My fav "real" commentary: American Beauty OR Magnolia

My fav "other" commentary: Spinal Tap. :D

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2003, 07:59 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

I always tend to purchase DVD'S when I think they will contain interesting and informative commentary tracks. Sometimes that is the case and sometimes it is not. For instance:

This is Spinal Tap.....The best I heard so far. The 4 guys from Spinal Tap doing this in character is hilarious. Especially when throughout they try to guess who is dead or still alive.

Pink Floyd's The Wall.....Being a huge Floyd fan I purchased this to get some more insight into the classic album since I saw that Roger Waters supplies the commentary. Instead, I never even finished listening to it because he pissed me off with his talking about things that had nothing to do with the movie. A lot of the stuff he couldn't even remember why it was done that way. And he was so damn boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2004, 13:43 
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

The commentaries is the reason I bought a DVD player. My wife bought me the Usual Suspects VHS 3-pack that had one tape dedicated to commentary and I thought that was the great thing ever. Then I find out DVD's incorporate this when ever they can.

Best:
Old School - I believe it is funnier than the movie.

Worst:
Lord of the Rings - The one where they use the stars, nobody is in the same room, they tooks pieces from indiviual commentaries. Just terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2004, 13:59 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Skerley wrote:
Worst:
Lord of the Rings - The one where they use the stars, nobody is in the same room, they tooks pieces from indiviual commentaries. Just terrible.

One of my favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2004, 15:43 
Producer
Producer

Yes of course I listen 'em. That is if the commentator is any good or the movie is just that good. They are one of my favorite extras on dvd's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2004, 19:06 
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Best commentary i've listened to was from This is Spinal Tap. The band members talk about the entire movie IN character... hilarious.... and i enjoyed listening to the Ghostbusters commentary... good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2004, 14:54 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

It depends on who the director is and what movie.

I don't like it when directors get technical about some prop or special effect. That's why I haven't watched any of the Lucas or Peter Jackson commentaries. I'm just not interested.

I'm more interested in some insight into the story or why a director did something the way he did, or maybe some backstory behind the filming of that scene, or maybe where something was filmed. That's why I love commentaries for movies that I've seen 100 or so times.

John Hughes is the best I've heard. Unfortunately, he has only done a commentary track for one of his movies. Cameron Crowe is good, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2004, 15:27 

Ace Decade wrote:
Cameron Crowe is good, too.

He could leave his mom at home from now on though. She wasn't very entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2004, 15:40 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Ace Decade wrote:
I don't like it when directors get technical about some prop or special effect. That's why I haven't watched any of the Lucas or Peter Jackson commentaries. I'm just not interested.

Actually, you'd probably like Peter Jackson's commentary then. It's not really technical. He goes into where things were shot and cool stuff like "Look! This is where Viggo breaks his toe! We left it in the movie!"

It's really entertaining. (well... I thought so anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2004, 17:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

kinggrl wrote:
Ace Decade wrote:

Actually, you'd probably like Peter Jackson's commentary then. It's not really technical. He goes into where things were shot and cool stuff like "Look! This is where Viggo breaks his toe! We left it in the movie!"

It's really entertaining. (well... I thought so anyway)

Agree with kinggrl. The PJ commentaries are not technical at all. If your a fan of the books you get a lot of info to on why certain things where changed for the movie and its really interesting. Fran Walsh and Phillipa boyens who co-adapted the screenplay with him are on there too.

The George Lucas commentaries are also great as he doesnt get technical at all either. He simply tells all kinds of stuff about the Star Wars universe. Really interesting stuff.

The only commentaries to stay away from (because it is total technical) are the like production designers, special effects teams or sound editors ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2004, 08:18 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A2 wrote:
Ace Decade wrote:
Cameron Crowe is good, too.

He could leave his mom at home from now on though. She wasn't very entertaining.

No, but I didn't notice her very much. One thing I liked about the Almost Famous/Untitled commentary is there weren't any other actors around to annoy us and overshadow Cameron Cuba Good, Jr. and Renee Zellweger on the Jerry Maguire commentary.
The Say Anything commentary is really good. Ione Skye is just sort of there.