Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Season 6 is out?

It won't be released here for another 3 weeks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 06:56 
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Yeah, season 7s out too, been out for amonth, if i remember right, the UK get buffy in widescreen and the US get it full screen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 06:57 

Why do we get no widescreen option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 07:18 
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

A2 wrote:
Why do we get no widescreen option?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=629

While running a weekly series on a day-to-day basis, Joss Whedon doesn't have much time to get involved with DVDs. However, when DVD producers ask for something he doesn't like, he will put his foot down.

He kiboshed plans to release "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" in widescreen, because it was never shot widescreen. However, for the Sept. 2 release of Angel Season Two, Whedon approved widescreen presentations.

"'Angel' is a widescreen show, starting with the second season," Whedon said. "So that is presented widescreen."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 07:54 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Widescreen on television is retarded...There just going for that movie quality look.

The whole reason you have a widescreen movie is because the dimensions of your Television set is different then the dimensions of a movie theater screen.

SO if your shooting something FOR television then there is no reason for widescreen other than asthetic value. You couldn't miss out on anything on TV that is Full screen because its shot to fit the dimensions of a TV screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 09:29 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

fivestyle wrote:
Widescreen on television is retarded...There just going for that movie quality look.

The whole reason you have a widescreen movie is because the dimensions of your Television set is different then the dimensions of a movie theater screen.

SO if your shooting something FOR television then there is no reason for widescreen other than asthetic value. You couldn't miss out on anything on TV that is Full screen because its shot to fit the dimensions of a TV screen.
Actually... the reason shows are going widescreen is because if the show is considered good enough that they imagine it will go into syndication... they want it widescreen... because they know that future of TV is a widescreen format and shows that are filmed widescreen will have a syndication appeal for a much longer time.

True that! Um... well I read it somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 09:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

here is the message joss left in the buffy season 4 dvds:

Gentle Viewer:

No doubt you are looking over this scrumptious BUFFY package and exclaiming "No @#$%ing letterboxing? Whutzat? GYPPED!" Possibly you are breaking things. Please calm down. The fabulous episodes of BUFFY (and that one crappy one, sorry about that, seemed really cool when we wrote it...) were not shot in a widescreen format. They were shot in the TV 4 by 3 ratio. Now I’m a letterbox fanatic, but not just because I crave th’ wide. I want to see the whole screen, as framed by the director. The BUFFY’s I (and others) shot were framed for traditional TVs. Adding space to the sides simply for the sake of trying to look more cinematic would betray the very exact mise-en-scene I was trying to create. I am a purist, and this is the purest way to watch BUFFY. I have resisted the effort to letterbox BUFFY from the start and always will, because that is not the show we shot. This is. So enjoy! Stop breaking things. You’re getting the best presentation of -- let’s face it -- the best Television Drama since MATCHGAME ’79. Bye for now!

Sincerely,

Joss Whedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 10:24 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

SEE!!!!! and anren't you supposed to be working TODD?

Actually I see your point but the thing is people who have wide screen televisions will still be seeing these shows in letterbox format so now they got this HUGE tv and then the Show producers shrink the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2004, 14:50 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

fivestyle wrote:
SEE!!!!! and anren't you supposed to be working TODD?
Joss... he is the exception to every rule. :roll:

And I was working... just on break at the time... and at a computer in a training room so no one would care. :tongue:

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 11:31 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

those looking for Buffy DVDs might enjoy this post