Buying the wrong DVDs...

If you have information or questions about any available or future DVD release, this is the place to post it.
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Buying the wrong DVDs...

#1 Post by Agrajag » 05 May 2004, 14:51

Is this a problem anyone else has? Just a few months ago (when I first found DVDProfiler), as I was going through all of my DVDs I realized that I had several FULL FRAME DVDs!!! FULL FRAME?!?!? I couldn't believe it. When I go to buy a DVD, I usually buy more than one at a time, and I never even think about checking whether or not it's a FF only disc. It's 2004, shouldn't all DVDs be either Widescreen or have the option for both on them? Who are these people that ONLY want FF versions?

Working at Blockbuster Video, I get a lot of complaints from customers that rented a movie thinking it was Full Frame and want to exchange it for the VHS copy (since for the most part we only carry WS or optional DVDs). Don't people realize that FF might look like a complete picture, but the Wide Screen is the complete version that the director and cinematographer wanted! The black bars aren't missing areas of the movie people!!!

So anyway, when I found out, I was able to exchange some of the DVDs, but I'm still stuck with four Full Frame movies: About a Boy, Spiderman, A Christmas Story, and worst of all-The Back to the Future box set! The first three movies I could possibly buy again and sell the FF versions I own, but the BTTF set is still around $50! Am I the only one stupid enough to do something like this?? Or do other people make these mistakes too?

KM~
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Re: Buying the wrong DVDs...

#2 Post by alan smithee » 05 May 2004, 15:06

Agrajag wrote:Is this a problem anyone else has? Just a few months ago (when I first found DVDProfiler), as I was going through all of my DVDs I realized that I had several FULL FRAME DVDs!!! FULL FRAME?!?!? I couldn't believe it. When I go to buy a DVD, I usually buy more than one at a time, and I never even think about checking whether or not it's a FF only disc. It's 2004, shouldn't all DVDs be either Widescreen or have the option for both on them? Who are these people that ONLY want FF versions?

Working at Blockbuster Video, I get a lot of complaints from customers that rented a movie thinking it was Full Frame and want to exchange it for the VHS copy (since for the most part we only carry WS or optional DVDs). Don't people realize that FF might look like a complete picture, but the Wide Screen is the complete version that the director and cinematographer wanted! The black bars aren't missing areas of the movie people!!!

So anyway, when I found out, I was able to exchange some of the DVDs, but I'm still stuck with four Full Frame movies: About a Boy, Spiderman, A Christmas Story, and worst of all-The Back to the Future box set! The first three movies I could possibly buy again and sell the FF versions I own, but the BTTF set is still around $50! Am I the only one stupid enough to do something like this?? Or do other people make these mistakes too?

KM~
FWIW, most older movies were 4:3, so you are getting the full picture.

And full-frame Finding Nemo actually has more than the original movie -- instead of chopping the left and/or right sides, they added to the top and bottom. (The disc has a behind-the-scenes thing about making the full-frame version. (Kind of) interesting.)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

spikyone
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Re: Buying the wrong DVDs...

#3 Post by spikyone » 05 May 2004, 23:56

Agrajag wrote:Is this a problem anyone else has? Just a few months ago (when I first found DVDProfiler), as I was going through all of my DVDs I realized that I had several FULL FRAME DVDs!!! FULL FRAME?!?!? I couldn't believe it. When I go to buy a DVD, I usually buy more than one at a time, and I never even think about checking whether or not it's a FF only disc. It's 2004, shouldn't all DVDs be either Widescreen or have the option for both on them? Who are these people that ONLY want FF versions?

KM~

US$50? Damn I picked it up for £17(bout $30).
I always check when I'm buying as alot of DVDs seem to come out in both. Some you don't expect to come out in both come out in both, like Buffy, it's widescreen in the UK.
It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They don't have a rock this big
You know, its understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself.
Could you blow me where the pampers is?

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#4 Post by Agrajag » 06 May 2004, 05:49

Oh yeah... the older ones all had smaller aspect ratios, and most TV shows are shown in 1.33:1 (I read about you Brits getting Buffy on Widescreen...

RE: Finding Nemo, I thought that the FF was a re-animated version with things moved around. I guess what I always prefer is the theatrical version, because that is what the cinematographer wanted audiences to see. I heard that Finding Nemo would have different positions of the fish so they might be closer in the FF than they were in the WS. I'll have to get it out to watch the special feature!

On a related note, I just rented Gus Van Sant's ELEPHANT which had both options on it, but the Fullscreen version was actually the theatrical version, with strips cut off the top and the bottom to produce a WS version! I was shocked when I saw this! I want to know why van Sant did this, it's so weird!

KM~
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

#5 Post by Guest » 06 May 2004, 07:28

Agrajag wrote:Oh yeah... the older ones all had smaller aspect ratios, and most TV shows are shown in 1.33:1 (I read about you Brits getting Buffy on Widescreen...

RE: Finding Nemo, I thought that the FF was a re-animated version with things moved around. I guess what I always prefer is the theatrical version, because that is what the cinematographer wanted audiences to see. I heard that Finding Nemo would have different positions of the fish so they might be closer in the FF than they were in the WS. I'll have to get it out to watch the special feature!

On a related note, I just rented Gus Van Sant's ELEPHANT which had both options on it, but the Fullscreen version was actually the theatrical version, with strips cut off the top and the bottom to produce a WS version! I was shocked when I saw this! I want to know why van Sant did this, it's so weird!

KM~

Wasn't it originally supposed to be made for TV? Maybe thats why?

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#6 Post by Agrajag » 06 May 2004, 10:15

ELEPHANT??? Originally made for TV? That would be an explanation, but I never heard that. (not that my ignorance makes it untrue). I know it won an award at the Cannes Festival (Best Director I believe) so I think it must have been shown at 4:3 aspect ratio since that was the complete picture. It might have been a stylistic choice to mimic news reports of the Columbine story since it was "inspired" by that.... I would love to hear Van Sant's explanation...

KM~

alan smithee

#7 Post by alan smithee » 06 May 2004, 10:33

Elephant won best dir and the Palm d'Or
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8 Post by DrG » 10 May 2004, 17:42

Just gone through my DVD collection in a bit of a panic, and (phew), I only have two full-frame DVDs - Monty Python's Life of Brian and the Ripping Yarns boxset. The version of Life of Brian I have is the older one, as there is a newer widescreen version out (which I must get).

Most DVDs in the UK are released as widescreen only. I can only think of one biggy that was released as both - the first Harry Potter film. Most people went for widescreen, and FF didn't sell as well, so Chamber of Secrets was released as widescreen only.

When I worked at HMV I got so many ridiculously stupid people bringing back DVDs as they "didn't have a widescreen TV". I got sick of explaining that the widescreen version is the version seen in the cinema, and they weren't missing any action by having black bars on the screen. They would then complain that they only had a small picture as their TV was small. God, I would have loved to say "fuck off and buy a bigger TV then". I don't have a widescreen TV, and as most things on Sky Digital are now broadcast in widescreen, I get tiny pictures. My dad is always complaining that he can't see the football scores, so I'm cajolling my folks into buying a lovey widescreen TV. And Sky+!
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#9 Post by Agrajag » 10 May 2004, 20:09

Well, just one other thing that makes the UK better than America. Here almost all movies are released with either both versions on the disc (what I prefer so you CAN'T buy the wrong one), or two different versions. Working at Blockbuster, I get too see how many FF and WS versions get sold, and it always seems that the FF flies off the shelves while some WSs get sold. It's so ridiculous! People are stupid! Stupid, stupid STUPID!

KM~

T
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by T » 12 May 2004, 21:02

:o Are you ok?

Maybe just shop a little slower.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#11 Post by Agrajag » 12 May 2004, 22:05

shop slower eh? Well, that might be a solution for some people, but for me, there are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way, and the Agrajag way
someone else wrote:isn't that just the wrong way?
Yeah, but faster!

KM~