FilmWise Forums
It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 00:51

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2005, 03:19 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Release date: 29 August 2005

So it's been 30 years (wow) since Jaws became the first major summer blockbuster. Apparently they're releasing two versions of this set; one Special Edition and one Collector's Edition. This is for Europe (Region 2), but I'm sure they'll be doing something similar in America.

I love this film. I might just get the deluxe collector's edition. The regular edition has been unavailable for ages; it's about time.

Play.com have them both available for pre-order, and special features are listed as follows.

Jaws: 30th Anniversary Special Edition (2 Discs)

- From the set 1974: Steven Spielberg interview
- Shark facts - interactive
- 2 hour behind the scenes documentary
- Story boards
- Stills gallery
- Deleted scenes
- Outtakes

Price: £14.99

Jaws: 30th Anniversary Collectors Edition (Limited Edition)

Unique to the CE:
- Soundtrack CD
- Limited edition senitype
- Commemorative booklet
- 8 Lobby cards
- 6 Publicity stills
- US theatrical poster

Also on the SE:
- From the set 1974: Steven Spielberg interview
- Shark facts - interactive
- 2 hour behind the scenes documentary
- Story boards
- Stills gallery
- Deleted scenes
- Outtakes

Price: £32.99

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2005, 07:31 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

yeah, that will be good until they release the 31st Anniversary :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2005, 12:12 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

EW wrote:
Jaws: 30th Anniversary Edition

Reviewed by Mandi Bierly

SHARK TALE Jaws still thrills, but its 30th Anniverary Edition boasts little more than leftover chum

''Courage and stupidity.'' That's what Steven Spielberg says he was full of when he filmed Jaws. At 27, he was brave enough to take on Peter Benchley's killer-shark megaseller, but he was too naive to realize that his mechanical man-eater would malfunction to the point where he'd dub it ''the Great White Turd.''

Seriously large cojones. (And we're not talking about young Spielberg here.) That's what you — who purchased the 25th Anniversary Edition — will think it takes for Universal to release, Jaws: 30th Anniversary Edition this new two-disc set. The movie is still without a commentary or trivia track. The deleted scenes, outtakes, storyboards, and production pics haven't been sweetened. And worse, we already own 48 minutes of the two-hour making-of (now cleverly Cliff's-Noted in a commemorative photo journal).

The definitive doc will, of course, be worth the money for forgiving diehards, thanks to bonus bits like this one: Spielberg wanted to introduce Quint (Shaw) by having his hysterical laughter empty out a crowded Amity movie theater playing John Huston's Moby Dick. The problem? Dick star Gregory Peck wouldn't give him the film rights because it wasn't his finest performance. Fans who can, however, survive without the extra dish should pass on this collection. The ''never-before-available'' set interview with Spielberg is notable only for his optimism that he'll wrap the movie in two months (instead of the actual five and a half). The one worthwhile addition to the repackaged ''Jaws Phenomenon'' featurette is just a better look at the note Spielberg sent George Lucas when Star Wars took over Jaws' spot as the top-grossing film of all time — the letterhead depicts R2-D2 reeling the great white in on a fishing line.

We're all for celebrating milestones, but rather than the next Anniversary Edition, we'd prefer the Ultimate one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2005, 13:26 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Well, I pre-ordered it, and it's only because it's unavailable on Region 2 DVD. If I had another copy, I wouldn't bother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2005, 13:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Yeah, I bought it because I didn't yet have a copy, and it wasn't too expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2005, 15:47 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

yeah, it's definitely worth getting if you don't have it already, but seeing as how i have the 25th anniversary i can't really justify getting it. despite its attempts to seduce me with its extra disc.