FilmWise Forums
It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 20:21

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Titanic Alternate Ending
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 09:45 
Producer
Producer

The new DVD just came out and there is nine minutes of alternate ending. I already own two copies on VHS (gifts) and am not planning on purchasing another version. Has anyone seen this?

Syrinx

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 13:30 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Doug and Tony are not pulled out on time and drown with the ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 21:53 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2005, 05:49 
Key Grip
Key Grip

one of teh version is the ship doesn't sink :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2005, 10:03 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2005, 14:14 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

knarf wrote:

Forgive me if you've heard this one before, but bears repeating:

Raise the Titanic was a disaster in many ways, including script, box office, reviews, budget (why is it ocean films are always way over budget?). In fact, the filming on this thing became so expensive that its producer, Lord Lew Grade, observed, "It would have been cheaper to lower the ocean."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2005, 06:45 
Producer
Producer

I had heard through various grapevines that it had to do with the romance between Rose's grandmother and the head of the crew (Brock is it?). I work in a movie store as a second job and have been waiting for the frequent customer who comes in every week, (and who I know bought it) to tell me what it is. Wouldn't you know, she's on vacation. hrumph.

Syrinx

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2005, 12:12 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

I was never wild about the symbolism of the diamond in this film. It's called "Heart of the Ocean" and, perhaps, represents Rose's eternal love for Jack (and thus belongs at the bottom of the Atlantic with him).

However, she admits she didn't like the thing and only wore it the one time. And at that, it was more a vehicle to get her naked than to express a more profound love for Jack (or am I reading that wrong?). In any case, it made for a great "what happened to the diamond?" movie plot device and resolution -- audible gasps in the theater when I first saw it -- but a convenient distraction from the fact that the diamond was a much better metaphor for Cal Hockley's wealth, and Rose's inability to completely shun it regardless of her feelings for Jack.

If you're gonna make a new ending, let's see how she treated the diamond all those years she owned it surreptitiously.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2006, 19:28 
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

Syrinx wrote:
The new DVD just came out and there is nine minutes of alternate ending. I already own two copies on VHS (gifts) and am not planning on purchasing another version. Has anyone seen this?

Syrinx

Yes I have seen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2006, 15:25 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

I'll try to put dialogue as best as I can remember it...
Spoiler of the Alternate Ending wrote:
It starts off overlapping with Old Rose explaining they'd have no record of Jack and how she doesn't even have a picture of him and he only exists in her memory. Then after the subs come up from the Titanic we get an added scene of the crew partying/dancing/drinking, happy they're finally leaving "this God-forsaken stretch of water." We then see Rose's granddaughter walk through the party and down to Paxton and flirts saying "I like to get drunk and have been known to dance occasionally" Then we get the same scene of Paxton "saving this cigar for when [he] found the diamond" and then throwing it into the ocean after which we see Old Rose's feet shuffling to the stern. She gets to the edge and steps up on the railing. Then her granddaughter sees her and (presumably, like the audience) thinks she came back to this spot to join Jack and yells to stop her. Paxton and G-daughter try to get her not to jump, but Rose reveals the necklace saying she'll drop it if they get any closer. Paxton says (a great line) "I don't know exactly how to reason with a woman who tried to jump off the Titanic when it wasn't sinking and jumped back on when it was. We're not dealing with logic here, but please don't drop that necklace." She explains the "worst thing about being so poor, was being so rich" and she even "thought about selling it a few times, but each time thought about Cal" and that helped her pull thru. Then some more blah blah blah about how the true way to be rich in life is not material wealth, but love and shit and she really came back here to put the Heart of the Ocean back where it belongs. Paxton asks her to just hold it in his hand, just once which she lets him do and then makes him decide whether or not he wants to keep it or let it go over the edge. He grips onto it for a short time but after a look from Rose he lets it go and she just flings it over her shoulder. Bearded-fat guy curses and runs to the edge to watch it sink down and asks her if she's crazy. On cue, Paxton starts this kind of maniacal laugh as the camera pulls up overhead and he points and laughs at bearded-fat guy. Then he finally "sees" sexy G-daughter and asks if she wants to dance. Rose smiles, happy she shared the lesson of the movie with someone and got her granddaughter some nookie. She looks heavenward and there goes a shooting star (per commentary-supposed to be a theme happening 3x in the film representing a soul getting into heaven I think?). Then, we're back to the ending of Rose's pictures and dream going down into the Titanic, morphing into a new ship, and the entire cast watching her make out with Arnie Grape.