How long has DVD got?

If you have information or questions about any available or future DVD release, this is the place to post it.

How Long has DVD got in it's current form

A Lifetime
15%
10 - 15 years
27%
5 - 9 years
58%
less than 5 years
No votes

Total votes: 26

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#51 Post by » 02 Mar 2008, 17:34

DaLinkWent wrote:I just think it is funny that Microsoft banked on HD DVD winning the fight and made a HD DVD player for thier Xbox 360. I look forward to the day where they admit defeat and release a blu-ray player instead. :) Microsoft needs to be put in check.

I don't think its funny. I have a 360.
The :) means it's all ok.

DaLinkWent
Key Grip
Key Grip
Location: At home with a beer staring at the computer screen.

#52 Post by DaLinkWent » 03 Mar 2008, 08:48

I have a 360 also. But I still think its funny. Especially because Microsoft has been having all kinda problems with Xbox live lately and they don't seem to want to fix it. It is really cutting into my gaming time.

Gamertag: "SkamArtist" :mishchief:
I am #8462, nice to meet you.

About Me: Http://Excellentquizzes.blogspot.com

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Re:

#53 Post by Ruddy016 » 21 Sep 2009, 11:46

DaLinkWent wrote:I have a 360 also. But I still think its funny. Especially because Microsoft has been having all kinda problems with Xbox live lately and they don't seem to want to fix it. It is really cutting into my gaming time.

Gamertag: "SkamArtist" :mishchief:
ie

I went for the PS3 but it had nothing to do with Blu-Ray. Since I got a dedicated Blu-Ray player (old DVD player died a horrible death) I have enjoyed it but I have to admit this was a bit of a mistake. The best movie I got on Blu (so far) was The Dark Knight. The worst had to be Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan. Old effects laden movies don't always make a good transfer over.

My point is Blu-Ray is not cheap and doesn't really deliver a hell of a lot more than an up scaled DVD. It works for big effects movies (Transformers, Indiana Jones, I am Legend etc) but the cost of a disc is pretty high. It's just another exercise in selling stuff to the proles that we don't really need. As long as you've got a decent flat screen panel TV and a good DVD player then Blu-Ray isn't totally essential.

More movies need to come out on Blu-Ray before we know exactly where this will lead.
Gunga Na Gunga

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Re: How long has DVD got?

#54 Post by Ruddy016 » 21 Sep 2009, 11:48

By the way, if anyone has a solid recommendation on a good Blu-Ray disc then please let me know.
Gunga Na Gunga

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#55 Post by Agrajag » 21 Sep 2009, 13:42

Ruddy016 wrote:By the way, if anyone has a solid recommendation on a good Blu-Ray disc then please let me know.

I'm a fan of this
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#56 Post by Ruddy016 » 22 Sep 2009, 10:18

Agrajag wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:By the way, if anyone has a solid recommendation on a good Blu-Ray disc then please let me know.

I'm a fan of this

LOL, I saw this a few years ago. It's better than the transfer to Blu-Ray :D
Gunga Na Gunga

Andybone
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#57 Post by Andybone » 05 Jan 2011, 06:17

I don’t think DVD has that long left, but I also don’t think Blu-Ray has long left either. I think the future is going to be internet downloads and streaming. Most people are not going to need to spend much to buy into it as you can do this on both X-Box 360 and PS3 right now, as well as most new internet enabled TV’s. The only thing holding people back at the moment is there connection speeds. For the UK most houses should be able to get 40MB broadband by the end of the year.

I think DVD’s and Blu-Ray’s will go the same way as CD’s thanks to things like iTunes. Give it five or so years and I think people will just not bother to buy disks, and just rent them to watch online.
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

Image Image

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#58 Post by sldawgs » 05 Jan 2011, 06:53

Andybone wrote:I don’t think DVD has that long left, but I also don’t think Blu-Ray has long left either. I think the future is going to be internet downloads and streaming. Most people are not going to need to spend much to buy into it as you can do this on both X-Box 360 and PS3 right now, as well as most new internet enabled TV’s. The only thing holding people back at the moment is there connection speeds. For the UK most houses should be able to get 40MB broadband by the end of the year.

I think DVD’s and Blu-Ray’s will go the same way as CD’s thanks to things like iTunes. Give it five or so years and I think people will just not bother to buy disks, and just rent them to watch online.

I agree that this is the most likely scenario but it is nice to actually have it in your hand and not have to rent it everytime you want to watch it, even through something like Netflix where there is just a monthly fee. Considering how extensive some of our personal libraries are it would take a lot of space to convert it to digital media. I can see the advantage of it in a family setting where the kids watch the same movies over and over and over again and quite frankly don't take very good care of the DVDs when they take them out.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#59 Post by Dawson » 05 Jan 2011, 06:56

Got to stick with the dawgs. You gotta have the actual DVD there, just looks cool, especially alphabetized!

I'll always prefer having the actual DVDs, plus my mates think it looks awesome when they come round as it's like having a blockbusters they can borrow (and never return) from
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Andybone
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#60 Post by Andybone » 05 Jan 2011, 07:19

Don't get me wrong, I love my DVD's. I have hundreds at home (500+), but I have copied them to my PC so they are easier to get to (1.5Tb). But at the same time I used to love my CD’s and records, but now my entire collection in on iTunes, and I have probably only bought 5 or so CD’s in the last year. The rest are iTunes downloads.
Given that with things like apple TV you can rent or buy for much less that you can buy for in the shops, I think that as people start to embrace this technology we will start to see a decline in DVD’s. There a lot of DVD’s in my collection that I have only ever watched once, and will probably never watch again. But there are plenty that I can watch over and over again.
I think that it is inevitable that eventually DVD’s will disappear as internet speeds increase, and storage becomes better. Also, I think the film companies will also eventually embrace it, if nothing else to stop illegal downloads.
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

Image Image

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#61 Post by knarf » 05 Jan 2011, 07:25

I agree that they'll eventually go away, but I wouldn't say that it will be real soon. The last big VHS manufacturer only stopped a year or two ago (movies that is, not blank tapes).
"Hold on to your butts."

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#62 Post by Mazer » 06 Jan 2011, 17:41

I bought my first Blu-Ray today (Scott Pilgrim). But that was because I really wanted it, couldn't find it in straight DVD, and the case informed me it was either a Blu-Ray or a DVD. So I splurged. But if it's really not that long for this world, maybe I should just hold off. :)

tedder
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#63 Post by tedder » 16 Jan 2011, 22:40

Very similiar sentiment here. I have over 1000 DVD's and a handful of Blue-Rays but I do not purchase anymore. I stream most movies with netflix. Actually hate having to wait for the DVD's to come in the mail. Soon enough I should be able to turn on the tv andjust tell it to show me a new release comedy with a runtime of 90 minutes and it will load something up with a skip button like pandora.
Say hello to the Scream Extractor.