Do we need all the extra's
Yes as many as possible 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
No just have the film 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Yes but only a few 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 04:09 
Key Grip
Key Grip

Twin Pack DVD's, DVD's with more feature time, than the films themselves, alternative endings, deleted scenes, games, pictures. They all add to the packing of a DVD film, but are they really wanted? Do people really want to hear a directors comments all through the film? Do we really want a different ending from the cinematic release, that could ruin are conception of the original film?

Granted I do watch a few of the extra's like the out-takes, and some of the making of featurettes, indeed some of them can be more entertaining than the film itself.

But do the enormous range of extra's on a DVD reduce the quality of the film, that the customer has bought? If so why bother having them on the DVD in the first place.

Discuss!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 06:23 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I like the behind the scenes stuff and out-takes. Deleted scenes are interesting more for why they were left out as for what they are about. I would rather not have the storyboard concepts or concept drawings, and what is up with the stuff that justs shows a whole screen of text? If I wanted to read, I would have bought the book. And what is up with talent files? I can get all of that through IMDb.

When I got the Lord of the Rings extended editions, I sat and watched all four dvds. So to answer your question, it depends on what the extras are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 06:28 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Since you can pick and chose which ones to watch, I say the more the betterer. I watched just about every minute of the Lord of the Rings extras (well, i skipped the weta or weeta guy on the third disk - he was getting on my nerves), and often find myself disappointed at some movies for not having enough. But I have never complained that a movie had too many extras. And I have no idea how it would reduce the quality of the film......

When we're living our dream

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 07:31 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

I never have time to watch all of my DVDs, let alone the extras. However, some films which have distinct 'worlds'or brilliant effects tend to be worth finding out about. Oh, and Oliver Sone commentaries are brilliant, normally as good as the film!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 07:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

F.N.G. wrote:
I never have time to watch all of my DVDs, let alone the extras. However, some films which have distinct 'worlds'or brilliant effects tend to be worth finding out about. Oh, and Oliver Sone commentaries are brilliant, normally as good as the film!

As are Kevin Smith commentaries.

I also like alternate endings, and sometimes outakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 09:03 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

As a film student, I love watching behind-the-scenes featurettes to see how each directer acheieves his vision. I also love commentaries. You can learn a whole lot about a given film by listening to the stories of what went on during filming. Plus, sometimes they provide great comic relief (or added comedy). I remember watching Boogie Nights with the commentary and hearing PT Anderson say, several times, "I think Luis Guzman is high." Classic stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 09:51 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Yes. Yes we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 10:15 
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

i always love the gag reel and deleted/bloopers. the commentary is really cool sometimes and pants other times. i hate when a producer is on the com. talking about how this and that cost such and such. who cares really. or when the commentary is a total stroke fest, it bores me to death. "remember joe smockatoli? he brought us coffee on day 37."
"Yeah, he was great! he put real creamer in mine." :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 12:39 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

bratzks wrote:
i always love the gag reel and deleted/bloopers. the commentary is really cool sometimes and pants other times. i hate when a producer is on the com. talking about how this and that cost such and such. who cares really. or when the commentary is a total stroke fest, it bores me to death. "remember joe smockatoli? he brought us coffee on day 37."
"Yeah, he was great! he put real creamer in mine." :roll:

Now that would make for an interesting commentary :mishchief:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 16:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'm usually not a huge fan of commentaries as I too find them to be, for the most part, strokefests. Some commentaries like with Futurama and Red vs Blue I really liked, but usually I would just rather watch a behind the scenes thing. Though I'm not going to complain that they're there even though I tend to watch very few of the extra feautres on my dvds. It's better than having something like the original Fifth Element dvd that doesn't have a damn thing (and is one I would like to see behind the scenes stuff of).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 15:40 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Just wish they'd get all the features right the first time. I own 2 Donnie Darkos, 2 Ferris Buellers, and several other double dips I can't think of right now :rant:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 21:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Your talking to a guy who owns 3 copies of Evil Dead 2... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 07:43 

on an almost totally unrelated topic... i just listened to the novelized king kong on cd last month. one of the commentaters (i don't remember which) talked about how much he didn't like the story. he went on to talk about how much he hated the movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 07:52 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

bratzks wrote:
on an almost totally unrelated topic... i just listened to the novelized king kong on cd last month. one of the commentaters (i don't remember which) talked about how much he didn't like the story. he went on to talk about how much he hated the movie!

"I'd like a pass to swim with Mushu, please."

"Well then you came to the right place, I'm the whale biologist. Though personally I hate whales, especially Mushu."