Random ranting about anything that pissed you off

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
SweetCatastrophe
Director
Director

#4151 Post by SweetCatastrophe » 13 Dec 2005, 07:55

Everyone talking about their Christmas bonuses and time off for the holidays, and I get neither. In fact, just found out yesterday that managers are not allowed to have another day off until after New Year's (except Christmas). And we're not allowed to do half-days, either. No...we have to work 8-10 hour shifts each day until Christmas, the full day on Christmas Eve (I think we're open reduced hours, 9-7, I think), and then I think we're open reduced hours again on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. That's ridiculous. They didn't do this to us last year!
Jake will be here until I feel more creative again.

Free iPod

meandmymeatcleaver
Producer
Producer

#4152 Post by meandmymeatcleaver » 13 Dec 2005, 09:01

Isn't it against the law to not get a day off per week? Xmas is two weeks to go
Fire Walk with Me.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#4153 Post by knarf » 13 Dec 2005, 09:04

meandmymeatcleaver wrote:Isn't it against the law to not get a day off per week? Xmas is two weeks to go
Nope. Basically the only laws are minimum wage and overtime pay for hourly people.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#4154 Post by Gren » 13 Dec 2005, 15:20

knarf wrote:
meandmymeatcleaver wrote:Isn't it against the law to not get a day off per week? Xmas is two weeks to go
Nope. Basically the only laws are minimum wage and overtime pay for hourly people.
We have a law that says you cannot work more than 48 hours a week, unless you want to. Although "want" is often more like "the company tells you to". Really useful law :roll:
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#4155 Post by JJ » 13 Dec 2005, 15:58

Gren wrote:
knarf wrote:
We have a law that says you cannot work more than 48 hours a week, unless you want to. Although "want" is often more like "the company tells you to". Really useful law :roll:
We call that being "salaried".
La la la la la.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#4156 Post by Agrajag » 13 Dec 2005, 18:46

a few days late... but being eaten by those damn wolves.... :balrog:

KM~
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie

#4157 Post by Sheila1313 » 14 Dec 2005, 06:51

What the fuck is wrong with Lillo Brancato?

Dumbass. :evil:
ImageImageImage

We have such sights to show you!

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4158 Post by Caulfield » 14 Dec 2005, 06:57

knarf wrote:
That's for sure. I find that people are shocked to discover how few of the employment "laws" they feel protect them actually exist.
SweetC: That's retail isn't it? If so, I think that's just how it goes in that business. Maybe it's time for a change since that doesn't seem to be your passion anyway?

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4159 Post by Caulfield » 14 Dec 2005, 08:24

Just found out that my "Christmas bonus" was only $250 and the rest of that check might have been some kind of mistake with my regular holiday pay (we get a paid holiday from 12/26-12/30). Hopefully, I'll still get the holiday pay. This wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't ending my job here after this pay check. I needed that last normal sized paycheck since it's my last and unable to get another regular job for a while. I suppose it is normal still, but I just spent the last 24 hours totally thrilled about my luck! Assholes!!

That and... I only get a $250 bonus for putting up with the biggest micromanaging, in-the-red loving, wrongfully terminating, dumbass I've ever known for almost a year!!!!!!!

Fudamnasssmotherfushicrap!!
:rant: :soapbox: :finger_mad: :butthead: :bash: :balrog: :argue: :bsod: :gun3: :iws: :cry1: :cry1:

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4160 Post by DrG » 14 Dec 2005, 15:49

Caulfield wrote:Just found out that my "Christmas bonus" was only $250 and the rest of that check might have been some kind of mistake with my regular holiday pay (we get a paid holiday from 12/26-12/30). Hopefully, I'll still get the holiday pay. This wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't ending my job here after this pay check. I needed that last normal sized paycheck since it's my last and unable to get another regular job for a while. I suppose it is normal still, but I just spent the last 24 hours totally thrilled about my luck! Assholes!!

That and... I only get a $250 bonus for putting up with the biggest micromanaging, in-the-red loving, wrongfully terminating, dumbass I've ever known for almost a year!!!!!!!

:rant: :soapbox: :finger_mad: :butthead: :bash: :balrog: :argue: :bsod: :gun3: :iws: :cry1: :cry1:
Sue 'em! At least you'll be out of that hell hole very, very soon.

All the people in my department are having to do overtime this week, and next. I'm having to go to work on Saturday to cover the fact that the guy who has just handed his notice in is a lazy git and won't pull his weight. And we only get paid the normal rate for overtime - no time and a half or anything. I don't mind doing a bit extra, but after the taxman has taken his ample share, it really doesn't make doing lots of extra hours worth it. I'd rather have an extra hour in bed and have my weekends free.
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

SweetCatastrophe
Director
Director

#4161 Post by SweetCatastrophe » 14 Dec 2005, 18:17

Caulfield wrote:
knarf wrote:
That's for sure. I find that people are shocked to discover how few of the employment "laws" they feel protect them actually exist.
SweetC: That's retail isn't it? If so, I think that's just how it goes in that business. Maybe it's time for a change since that doesn't seem to be your passion anyway?
I've been looking for a change...I simply can't find a job that will pay me what I'm making with no experience in the field...I check the ads in the newspaper every week, but I still haven't come up with anything. I think I may end up being a night manager (the overnight shift) at a gas station soon, though...I don't know how much of this I can take anymore.

Free iPod

SweetCatastrophe
Director
Director

#4162 Post by SweetCatastrophe » 14 Dec 2005, 19:55

On another, more fun note...my wisdom teeth are coming in and hurting like a mofo...called to make a dentist's appointment today for the earliest time possible, and the woman says it'll be in March...tell her that I'm in excruciating pain and ask if it can be any sooner and she says January 6, then. In the mean time, I guess I'll have to refrain from chewing and swallowing as much as possible.

Free iPod

Mr.StayPuft
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4163 Post by Mr.StayPuft » 14 Dec 2005, 21:19

SweetCatastrophe wrote:On another, more fun note...my wisdom teeth are coming in and hurting like a mofo...called to make a dentist's appointment today for the earliest time possible, and the woman says it'll be in March...tell her that I'm in excruciating pain and ask if it can be any sooner and she says January 6, then. In the mean time, I guess I'll have to refrain from chewing and swallowing as much as possible.

sucks, getting them taken out isn't too terrible though. i had to get all 4 of mine out at once a couple years ago. mine never actually hurt though, they were just impacted.

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4164 Post by You Know, for Kids » 15 Dec 2005, 06:33

Sheila1313 wrote:What the fuck is wrong with Lillo Brancato?

Dumbass. :evil:
The thing that pissed me off was the network news teasers that day that showed footage of Robert DeNiro and the voiceover of "The tragic event that led to the fall of a film star - details at 11!"
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4165 Post by Coco » 15 Dec 2005, 06:38

SweetCatastrophe wrote:On another, more fun note...my wisdom teeth are coming in and hurting like a mofo...called to make a dentist's appointment today for the earliest time possible, and the woman says it'll be in March...tell her that I'm in excruciating pain and ask if it can be any sooner and she says January 6, then. In the mean time, I guess I'll have to refrain from chewing and swallowing as much as possible.
Mine have been pushing through a bit in the past couple of weeks, it just plain sucks. A friend of mine told me to brush my gums where the wisdom teeth were coming through. It hurt like hell when I was doing it but it did actually alleviate the pain afterwards though. This naturally won't work if your teeth are impacted.

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4166 Post by Caulfield » 15 Dec 2005, 06:44

DrG wrote:
Caulfield wrote:Just found out that my "Christmas bonus" was only $250 and the rest of that check might have been some kind of mistake with my regular holiday pay (we get a paid holiday from 12/26-12/30). Hopefully, I'll still get the holiday pay. This wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't ending my job here after this pay check. I needed that last normal sized paycheck since it's my last and unable to get another regular job for a while. I suppose it is normal still, but I just spent the last 24 hours totally thrilled about my luck! Assholes!!

Sue 'em! At least you'll be out of that hell hole very, very soon.

All the people in my department are having to do overtime this week, and next. I'm having to go to work on Saturday to cover the fact that the guy who has just handed his notice in is a lazy git and won't pull his weight. And we only get paid the normal rate for overtime - no time and a half or anything. I don't mind doing a bit extra, but after the taxman has taken his ample share, it really doesn't make doing lots of extra hours worth it. I'd rather have an extra hour in bed and have my weekends free.
That's horrible! Whenever you talk about your job I can't help but imagine that there must be a manager there who looks just like this guy Image
SweetCatastrophe wrote:
Caulfield wrote:That's for sure. I find that people are shocked to discover how few of the employment "laws" they feel protect them actually exist.
I've been looking for a change...I simply can't find a job that will pay me what I'm making with no experience in the field...I check the ads in the newspaper every week, but I still haven't come up with anything. I think I may end up being a night manager (the overnight shift) at a gas station soon, though...I don't know how much of this I can take anymore.
I know how you feel. Ever since I was told that I would have to leave by December due to my bosses morally questionable preferences, I've been looking, but GO FIGURE, I'm not having any luck either. It sucks. In my experience, the best way to find a job is through personal recommendation... like a friend talking you up to his/her boss or you parent's work maybe. Keep at it though, you'll find something!
Mr.StayPuft wrote:
sucks, getting them taken out isn't too terrible though. i had to get all 4 of mine out at once a couple years ago. mine never actually hurt though, they were just impacted.
Ummmmm. Actually, my wisdom teeth removal story is kind of horrific, so I won't go into too much detail. I'll just say that I was 110% conscious during the entire procedure. :o :scared: The moral of the story: GET THE GAS!!

SweetCatastrophe
Director
Director

#4167 Post by SweetCatastrophe » 15 Dec 2005, 08:38

Caulfield wrote: I know how you feel. Ever since I was told that I would have to leave by December due to my bosses morally questionable preferences, I've been looking, but GO FIGURE, I'm not having any luck either. It sucks. In my experience, the best way to find a job is through personal recommendation... like a friend talking you up to his/her boss or you parent's work maybe. Keep at it though, you'll find something!
Well, I'll never get a job throught personal recommendation...all of my friends I know through work. One friend now works at the gas station I previously mentioned...and so that's how I may end up with the job there. But I have no friends with decent jobs. Most of them still have the benefit of living at home with their parents and not needing money as badly as I do.
Caulfield wrote:
Mr.StayPuft wrote:
Ummmmm. Actually, my wisdom teeth removal story is kind of horrific, so I won't go into too much detail. I'll just say that I was 110% conscious during the entire procedure. :o :scared: The moral of the story: GET THE GAS!!
:yikes: That's horrible! I'm already a little bit nervous because I hate dentists and doctors and the like. It seems like I always end up with incompetent newbies that end up screwing something up. I'm gonna definitely be put out for the process, though. Hopefully my experience will be like StayPuft's though...

Free iPod

Mr.StayPuft
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4168 Post by Mr.StayPuft » 15 Dec 2005, 09:03

ahhh i was completely put under. pretty much the worst thing in my experience was removing the blood-soaked gauze from my mouth, it was just this nasty gag reflex each time. bleh.

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#4169 Post by McT » 15 Dec 2005, 09:12

My wisdom teeth forced their way in, but they were angled about 45 degrees from my other teeth so I kept biting my cheek. Plus, they knocked my other teeth out of alignment. Just had valium from an IV. Works great, doens't really knock you out, but felt no pain, just some preasure. Afterwards you feel like you are drunk for about 20 minutes, then you're fine.
Squirrel!

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4170 Post by Caulfield » 15 Dec 2005, 10:40

McT wrote:My wisdom teeth forced their way in, but they were angled about 45 degrees from my other teeth so I kept biting my cheek. Plus, they knocked my other teeth out of alignment. Just had valium from an IV. Works great, doens't really knock you out, but felt no pain, just some preasure. Afterwards you feel like you are drunk for about 20 minutes, then you're fine.
I must have a sh*t dentist.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#4171 Post by knarf » 15 Dec 2005, 11:55

Reduced vacation/sick time starting next year :balrog:

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4172 Post by DrG » 15 Dec 2005, 13:23

knarf wrote:Reduced vacation/sick time starting next year :balrog:
That's just plain evil. Bastards :balrog:

Caulfield - all my immediate bosses are female, but the big big boss of our company has a name not unlike that of a ruthless Cambodian dictator :roll: And he's an arsehole.

No real horror wisdom teeth stories to tell - mine started coming through when I was about 13, which is apparently quite young. Got some bits of soda bread stuck between the bottom back ones and my jaw bone - very, very painful. The emergency dentist decided it would be "fine" to flush all the gunk out without any anaesthetic. Hmmmm ... I nearly jumped ten feet in the air. But I did nip his finger :badgrin:

Image Image Image

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4173 Post by Caulfield » 15 Dec 2005, 14:30

...plus reduced pay and extra work hours?!! Woohoo!

WHAT THE HELL?! Talk about hitting your employees where it hurts. I'd take a pay cut over a time-off cut anyday. Bastards.

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4174 Post by Will » 16 Dec 2005, 00:44

Caulfield wrote:
...plus reduced pay and extra work hours?!! Woohoo!

WHAT THE HELL?! Talk about hitting your employees where it hurts. I'd take a pay cut over a time-off cut anyday. Bastards.
Let's all vote Republican again next time!!
At least the gay couple that lives next door can't get married. Thank God for that.

Just got my last paycheck for the year, the rumors of a Christmas bonus were greatly exaggerated.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4175 Post by DrG » 18 Dec 2005, 06:23

So Sky screwed up. We were meant to be getting super spiffy Sky+ boxes installed last Sunday. Except the engineer called to say he had been ordered to hospital by his bosses. Seems he was drilling a hole in a wall and got brick dust in his eye (he's in bother for not wearing safety goggles). He said we were scheduled for a visit today. Yeah, right :roll:

The engineer is supposed to call at 9am on the day to give you a rough time of arrival. We'd had no call, so contacted Sky - and guess what - we weren't booked in. Cue a fair bit of ranting down the phone to some poor guy. He said he would get the coordinating engineer to call us to see if they could fit us in. That chap called back to say that none of the engineers were answering their phones.

Sodding bastard bloody well fucking typical. To say I am pissed off would be an understatement. We were guaranteed installation before Christmas (that was why we decided to go for it), and now they just mess us about. C***s. :balrog: :balrog: :balrog: :balrog: :balrog: :balrog: :balrog: :balrog: :balrog: :balrog:

Image Image Image