FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 16:31

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 09:43 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 29159
Location: Gotham's seedier side
I've never really had a problem with insomnia, so this method might not work for you guys, but the last three times I've tried to watch Moonstruck to knock it off my resolutions list, I've fallen asleep within 5 minutes.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 09:51 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33003
Batman wrote:
I've never really had a problem with insomnia, so this method might not work for you guys, but the last three times I've tried to watch Moonstruck to knock it off my resolutions list, I've fallen asleep within 5 minutes.

Another ouch!

I positively love that movie, but, clearly, it ain't for all.

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 09:55 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 29159
Location: Gotham's seedier side
Steel Frog wrote:
Batman wrote:
I've never really had a problem with insomnia, so this method might not work for you guys, but the last three times I've tried to watch Moonstruck to knock it off my resolutions list, I've fallen asleep within 5 minutes.

Another ouch!

I positively love that movie, but, clearly, it ain't for all.

I can't claim that it's a bad movie, it just clearly doesn't grab me from the beginning. Maybe once FYNC shows his face that will change.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 11:24 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Posts: 8012
Location: Over your shoulder
Steel Frog wrote:
spymeg wrote:
At what point do I give up and get up?

For me, it's a half hour. Might be a tad on the impatient side, but I find the more you insist you need sleep, the harder it is to get it. So after a half hour, it's time to switch gears -- get cold, get milk, get exercise, get into a story (book, movie, puzzle, whatever), just get your mind elsewhere and give it another go in a bit.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this next time. Doesn't help that our neighbors just got a pool and have loudly croaking FROGS out there every night starting at 9:30 until at least 4 am. I used to love frogs...no offense SF. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 12:10 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38410
Location: San Francisco
Batman wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Batman wrote:
I've never really had a problem with insomnia, so this method might not work for you guys, but the last three times I've tried to watch Moonstruck to knock it off my resolutions list, I've fallen asleep within 5 minutes.

Another ouch!

I positively love that movie, but, clearly, it ain't for all.

I can't claim that it's a bad movie, it just clearly doesn't grab me from the beginning. Maybe once FYNC shows his face that will change.

thanks for cher-ing

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 17:54 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Posts: 5851
Location: a furry little Don Quixote
spymeg wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
spymeg wrote:
At what point do I give up and get up?

Thanks for the tip. I will try this next time. Doesn't help that our neighbors just got a pool and have loudly croaking FROGS out there every night starting at 9:30 until at least 4 am. I used to love frogs...no offense SF. ;)


Meg, you have an iPhone (or iPad), right? If you really think the noise from the neighbor's frogs is impacting your sleep, download an app called Relax Melodies. It's a sound app, has a number of pre-set soundscapes (seaside, harbor, city night, etc), but also 150 or so individual sounds (high wind, rain, stream, thunder, wind chimes, owls--as well as subliminal ones to promote relaxation or deep slumber) that you can combine into custom scapes. Also a timer function so it can run all night, or ramp down and turn off after X amount of time. I've used sound machines for a number of years, but this works way better because I've been able to fine tune to exactly what works for me--and I have several different custom settings (regular, a separate one for when I'm anxious, another for when my mind just won't shut up, etc) plus it travels with me. Was well worth the couple of bucks.

I have a very different approach to "how long before I get up?" than SF, which I'm happy to share if you want, but I'm hoping that you're already asleep and it's unnecessary. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 09:22 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Posts: 8012
Location: Over your shoulder
Buckykatt wrote:
spymeg wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
spymeg wrote:
At what point do I give up and get up?

Thanks for the tip. I will try this next time. Doesn't help that our neighbors just got a pool and have loudly croaking FROGS out there every night starting at 9:30 until at least 4 am. I used to love frogs...no offense SF. ;)


Meg, you have an iPhone (or iPad), right? If you really think the noise from the neighbor's frogs is impacting your sleep, download an app called Relax Melodies. It's a sound app, has a number of pre-set soundscapes (seaside, harbor, city night, etc), but also 150 or so individual sounds (high wind, rain, stream, thunder, wind chimes, owls--as well as subliminal ones to promote relaxation or deep slumber) that you can combine into custom scapes. Also a timer function so it can run all night, or ramp down and turn off after X amount of time. I've used sound machines for a number of years, but this works way better because I've been able to fine tune to exactly what works for me--and I have several different custom settings (regular, a separate one for when I'm anxious, another for when my mind just won't shut up, etc) plus it travels with me. Was well worth the couple of bucks.

I have a very different approach to "how long before I get up?" than SF, which I'm happy to share if you want, but I'm hoping that you're already asleep and it's unnecessary. :)

I need all the help I can get so let me know what works for you. That night was horrible and not usually my norm. I am up from about 2-3 to 5-6 every morning. Once I wake up, my mind starts going a million miles a minute. I will definitely download that app because my sound machine doesn't drown those frogs out in any way shape or form.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 04:27 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:30
Posts: 6143
Location: somewhere
shit.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 01:48 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:30
Posts: 6143
Location: somewhere
can't sleep either SF?

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 01:52 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33003
Bill wrote:
can't sleep either SF?

Yeah, but today it's a different excuse; my daughter returns from Finland after three weeks abroad and we're a tad anxious.

How about you?

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 01:54 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:30
Posts: 6143
Location: somewhere
Steel Frog wrote:
Bill wrote:
can't sleep either SF?

Yeah, but today it's a different excuse; my daughter returns from Finland after three weeks abroad and we're a tad anxious.

How about you?

wow! interesting choice for a study abroad location. hope all's well.

Stomach flu for me :/

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 01:58 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33003
Bill wrote:
Stomach flu for me :/

Sucks. Sorry

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 10:15 
Offline
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Posts: 14146
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
Reading through the Pearls Before Swine anthologies from the beginning, and I this one seemed perfect for this thread...
Attachment:
pb020406.gif
For reference: Merchant Ivory Productions


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 16:34 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33003
Scruluce wrote:
Reading through the Pearls Before Swine anthologies from the beginning, and I this one seemed perfect for this thread...
Attachment:
pb020406.gif
For reference: Merchant Ivory Productions

Ha! Zzzzzzzzz

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 01:40 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Posts: 8012
Location: Over your shoulder
Sucks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 01:55 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8384
Location: Around
spymeg wrote:
Sucks

:glwacoy:

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 01:57 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Posts: 8012
Location: Over your shoulder
Middle wrote:
spymeg wrote:
Sucks

:glwacoy:

Ty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 03:16 
Offline
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Posts: 14146
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
tried to go to bed around 10 pm.
awake since about an hour later.
I think it's more some type of indigestion than anything else.
I can't lay down comfortably without feeling the need to burp or worse.

I don't think I'm going to work today :|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 07:33 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33003
Scruluce wrote:
tried to go to bed around 10 pm.
awake since about an hour later.
I think it's more some type of indigestion than anything else.
I can't lay down comfortably without feeling the need to burp or worse.

I don't think I'm going to work today :|

Callin' in sick today

I could shine my pennies or clean my lava lamp
I could spend all day in my underwear watching "Ernest Goes to Camp"
I could sit and count my hair
I could burp my Tupperware
I can do anything I want to
I am invincible now
I'm on fire, baby
I'm alive, I'm alive, can you hear me, world?
I'm alive!

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 02:36 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Posts: 5851
Location: a furry little Don Quixote
Well well well--haven't been here in a long time. Sigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 19:16 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33003
Buckykatt wrote:
Well well well--haven't been here in a long time. Sigh.

:(

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group