Android phones

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Re: Android phones

#26 Post by alan smithee » 08 Dec 2010, 14:28

(post quoted from the Random thing you want to ask thread)
Will wrote:So if I have a Droid phone with Verizon and I'm in a WiFi hot spot will I be able to watch movies on Netflix online without racking up data minutes?

This is really a 2 part question:

1. Does using a Wifi connection incur any kind of time related charges?

2. Can I watch Netflix online on a Droid?
Verizon offers a data plan that isn't unlimited?

1. I don't think so, ceteris paribus. (But I have a T-Mobile phone, which means an unlimited data plan, so I haven't had to care re my phone).
2. IIRC, the official app is slated for 2011; I don't know of an unofficial way to do it.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#27 Post by Scruluce » 08 Dec 2010, 16:25

alan smithee wrote:(post quoted from the Random thing you want to ask thread)
Will wrote:So if I have a Droid phone with Verizon and I'm in a WiFi hot spot will I be able to watch movies on Netflix online without racking up data minutes?

2. Can I watch Netflix online on a Droid?
Verizon offers a data plan that isn't unlimited?

1. I don't think so, ceteris paribus. (But I have a T-Mobile phone, which means an unlimited data plan, so I haven't had to care re my phone).
2. IIRC, the official app is slated for 2011; I don't know of an unofficial way to do it.
1. Verizon smart phone plans have a required unlimited data plan included, so data isn't an issue, though the WiFi may be faster depending on connection. 4G phones are slated for 2011, with National release by 2013.
2. Verizon Android doesn't currently have a Netflix app, but does have a Blockbuster app along the same lines. I haven't heard one way or the other about an official app.
...unless something better's on TV

Philip

#28 Post by Philip » 08 Dec 2010, 22:43

Usually not. Public WiFi is typically either free (like Starbucks) or "rented" for a fixed period of time: you pay $9 or so and get an ID/password pair that's good for 24 hours.

If you're on WiFi, you're not sending data over your carrier's network so you won't be using up any of your allocation (if you're on a limited data plan). I always disable cellular data access when I'm outside my unlimited data plan coverage just to be extra sure. That way, if my phone loses it's WiFi connection, I'm not going to get burned by having it use the cellular data network instead and charge me $20 per Mb.

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#29 Post by Will » 09 Dec 2010, 15:09

Thanks for the answers. FilmWise is the original Yahoo answers.

I was thinking the Droid browsers had all the same capabilities as my desktop and I could just go to Netflix and watch online.
I ordered the Droid 2, it ships tomorrow. The regular Droid 2 was on back order so I got the R2D2 version. I hope it makes all the R2D2 noises, if it does I'm going to talk back to it like I understand what it's saying.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#30 Post by Will » 15 Dec 2010, 18:48

So I got the Droid 2 yesterday. Holy shit is this thing awesome. I'm having so much fun with it and I don't even know how to use half of the features yet.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#31 Post by Scruluce » 15 Dec 2010, 19:28

Will wrote:So I got the Droid 2 yesterday. Holy shit is this thing awesome. I'm having so much fun with it and I don't even know how to use half of the features yet.
Totally here for you when you have a question. How cool are the extra Star Wars stuffages?

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#32 Post by Will » 16 Dec 2010, 17:12

Scruluce wrote:
Will wrote:So I got the Droid 2 yesterday. Holy shit is this thing awesome. I'm having so much fun with it and I don't even know how to use half of the features yet.
Totally here for you when you have a question. How cool are the extra Star Wars stuffages?
Yeah I forgot to update that, the day it shipped they called my wife and told her they did indeed have the regular Droid 2 and asked her if she still wanted it. So I have the regular droid 2 not the R2D2.

1st question:
What's the easiest way to move the apps and widgets around from screen to screen? I can't seem to get everything that I use most frequently on the main home page.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#33 Post by Scruluce » 16 Dec 2010, 22:00

if you know what screen you want it on ahead of time, go to that screen first, then pull the app shortcut from the menu (long press app, drag and drop).

if you have the app shortcut one of the screens already, long press then drag to one side of the screen. The screens will scroll until you center on one, or you reach one extreme or the other. A lot of the trouble you're having could be space related. Each screen is a 4x4 grid for apps and widgets.

also, a useful app for managing shortcuts is the "more icons" widget. there is a small charge, but is better than the free alternatives. If you're interested, we can swap numbers for easier app sharing and such. I have a lot of personal favorite apps and still geek out over them from time to time.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#34 Post by bing » 17 Dec 2010, 15:38

Would suggest getting LauncherPro, which is a replacement for the default homescreen. It has some incremental improvements such as the ability to customize the dock icons and the arrangement of the homescreens, along with some nice widgets.

alan smithee

#35 Post by alan smithee » 17 Dec 2010, 17:36

bing wrote:Would suggest getting LauncherPro, which is a replacement for the default homescreen. It has some incremental improvements such as the ability to customize the dock icons and the arrangement of the homescreens, along with some nice widgets.
I, too, enjoy LauncherPro. I have 36 icons on my each screen.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#36 Post by bing » 10 Jan 2011, 14:46

hilariously unnecessary

Patch
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#37 Post by Patch » 16 Oct 2011, 18:54

Does anyone know how to move a music file from SD card to phone memory?

alan smithee

#38 Post by alan smithee » 16 Oct 2011, 18:57

Patch wrote:Does anyone know how to move a music file from SD card to phone memory?
Would ASTRO File Manager help?

Patch
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#39 Post by Patch » 16 Oct 2011, 19:12

alan smithee wrote:
Patch wrote:Does anyone know how to move a music file from SD card to phone memory?
It might. I will give it a try.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#40 Post by Scruluce » 16 Oct 2011, 20:53

Patch wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
:green: that's the easiest from the phone. you can also do so by tethering to your computer, then accessing phone and card as mass storage devices and using windows explorer (or finder for mac) to drag and drop files

Patch
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#41 Post by Patch » 16 Oct 2011, 21:46

Scruluce wrote:
Patch wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
:green: that's the easiest from the phone. you can also do so by tethering to your computer, then accessing phone and card as mass storage devices and using windows explorer (or finder for mac) to drag and drop files
From my mac I can access the SD card but not the phone. ASTRO File Manager does not let me move files just look at or delete.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#42 Post by Scruluce » 16 Oct 2011, 22:25

Patch wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Patch wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
From my mac I can access the SD card but not the phone. ASTRO File Manager does not let me move files just look at or delete.
I'm working from memory here, as my Android 2 touchscreen stopped working and I've not been able to pay a bill...

The phone will ask for the status when tethered to your computer (Mass Storage, PC Mode, Windows Media Sync, or Charge Only). From Mass Storage, or even when you first connect it, you should see separate devices detected, one for your phone, and one as a storage device or removable drive. If the Mac doesn't detect the phone separately, then you'll have to do it through the phone.

The trick here is knowing where all the files are. File structures vary, depending on manufacturer, but you will want to find the songs in the phone first (I suggest removing the card while you search file folders, so you don't wander into the card by mistake.) Keep notes on your exact path down the rabbit hole, as it will come in handy for (near) future reference. Once you've found the files, and have your card in the phone (best not to remove or insert the card with the phone on, if that's even possible with your phone), then follow the instructions here. The method of copy or move is a bit tedious, but it can be done.

:glwacoy:

alan smithee

#43 Post by alan smithee » 03 Oct 2012, 23:24

What is/are the latest in awesome Android phones?

I would definitely prefer a physical keyboard (though I am resigned to that I may have to give up on that, seeing as they seem to be a dying breed).

I have T-Mobile & would prefer them or Verizon (based on local coverage).

I'm not looking for a tablet (and the Galaxy Note looks too big, too).

I have had (and liked) a G1 and a G2. My G2 may have finally given up the ghost, though...

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#44 Post by bing » 04 Oct 2012, 05:47

Galaxy nexus and the SIII are the biggest and brightest. Nexus you can get unlocked but it's also available through Verizon, don't know where SIII is available through. No physical keyboards on either.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#45 Post by Steel Frog » 04 Oct 2012, 19:05

Get the G3 so we can do that bump thing.

alan smithee

#46 Post by alan smithee » 04 Oct 2012, 21:01

bing wrote:Galaxy nexus and the SIII are the biggest and brightest. Nexus you can get unlocked but it's also available through Verizon, don't know where SIII is available through. No physical keyboards on either.
Excellent—thanks.

Looks like SIII is available through both T-Mobile and Verizon.

Crisis averted—my G2 did not actually give up the ghost. But I still will be using the information reasonably soon, as my contract is almost up.
Steel Frog wrote:Get the G3 so we can do that bump thing.
Well then.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#47 Post by Scruluce » 06 Oct 2012, 22:59

The Nexus 3 seems like the cutting edge place to be. I'll avert my eyes so you and Frog can bump phones...

My feet seem to remain firmly planted in the Motorola camp, though. I'm not sure I have a logical reason as to why. I am about to regain cellular services, and plan on getting the Razr Maxx. The gf wants the Droid 4 (still has a physical keyboard).

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#48 Post by Steel Frog » 07 Oct 2012, 08:50

Scruluce wrote:The Nexus 3 seems like the cutting edge place to be. I'll avert my eyes so you and Frog can bump phones...
... everybody's doin' it ...

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#49 Post by Scruluce » 08 Oct 2012, 00:32

Steel Frog wrote:
Scruluce wrote:The Nexus 3 seems like the cutting edge place to be. I'll avert my eyes so you and Frog can bump phones...
... everybody's doin' it ...
...and if everyone else jumped off of a bridge...

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#50 Post by » 29 May 2013, 15:52

What do you androiders use to listen to music? I've been using doubletwist to convert itunes since I switched to android but I've never been very happy with it. What else is out there? What should I be using?
The :) means it's all ok.