Help me Obi-wan computer nerds...

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#1101 Post by Nunis » 15 Aug 2008, 07:56

You rang?

I believe the one I turned you on to was WinFF, but that's for AVI files.

For DVD, you wanna go with Handbrake, which I use almost every day because it's brilliant (ugly-ass icon aside).

Then there's PQ DVD to iPod Converter, which I can also recommend for DVD-to-iPod conversions.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#1102 Post by alan smithee » 15 Aug 2008, 09:41

Nunis wrote:There is even a box you can check.

I took a 2-layer disc, read it in with DVDDecrypter (since DVD Shrink wanted me to change the region of my drive), then dragged that ~7GB file onto DVD Shrink, had "Full Disc" set, and clicked "Backup!" I had "Region Free" checked, but still get "Playing this disc prohibited by area limits." when I put the disc in my DVD player.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1103 Post by You Know, for Kids » 15 Aug 2008, 10:43

OK, so as noted in the RRAATPYO thread, my home PC sort of blew up this morning. This at the tail end of random shutdowns and HD errors over a while now.

I'm almost 100% ready to believe all the problems are related to the Power Supply, but there's one thing that keeps me on edge about it. My motherboard (Abit NF7-S) has an internal LED light, and two external LED lights, and both of these function when the power supply is turned on.

Is it possible that only the main power lines got fried and that things like the LED lights are on a line from the power that got spared? Or is this a sign I am barking up the wrong tree?
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

Philip

#1104 Post by Philip » 15 Aug 2008, 11:05

You Know, for Kids wrote:OK, so as noted in the RRAATPYO thread, my home PC sort of blew up this morning. This at the tail end of random shutdowns and HD errors over a while now.

I'm almost 100% ready to believe all the problems are related to the Power Supply, but there's one thing that keeps me on edge about it. My motherboard (Abit NF7-S) has an internal LED light, and two external LED lights, and both of these function when the power supply is turned on.

Is it possible that only the main power lines got fried and that things like the LED lights are on a line from the power that got spared? Or is this a sign I am barking up the wrong tree?
It's doubtful. There's one 24-pin connector from power to motherboard which carries everything. Those LEDs light up to indicate good supply to the mobo.

How about other things connected to the power supply? Hard disks spinning, CD/DVD tray opening/closing and what-not?

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1105 Post by You Know, for Kids » 15 Aug 2008, 11:10

The HDs won't spin because pressing the power button does nothing.

The CD tray doesn't open.

The USB gaming mouse is receiving power.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1106 Post by DrG » 17 Aug 2008, 14:21

Nunis wrote:You rang?

I believe the one I turned you on to was WinFF, but that's for AVI files.

For DVD, you wanna go with Handbrake, which I use almost every day because it's brilliant (ugly-ass icon aside).

Then there's PQ DVD to iPod Converter, which I can also recommend for DVD-to-iPod conversions.
ty, tN!

Downloaded and tried Handbrake, and it seems to be working OK.

Just a quick question about watching movies on your iPod - should they look kinda squished? I watched a couple over the weekend and they didn't look like they were in the correct proportion. Can you preserve the aspect ratio, or whatever it's called?
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#1107 Post by snotball » 20 Aug 2008, 07:17

Does anyone know of a good movie/video editor that's freeware?
Bad dates

bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

#1108 Post by bratzks » 20 Aug 2008, 07:34

snotball wrote:Does anyone know of a good movie/video editor that's freeware?
Nunis?
Image Image Image

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#1109 Post by snotball » 20 Aug 2008, 07:38

bratzks wrote:
Nunis?
Asked her, but I'm checking other options.
Bad dates

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#1110 Post by Nunis » 20 Aug 2008, 08:22

Yeah, sorry. I had to catch the bus right after I got your PM. To be honest though, I never really edited movies on my old PC, so I don't know how helpful I'll be.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1111 Post by F.N.G. » 20 Aug 2008, 08:30

depending on what you want to do, and assuming you have windows, Movie Maker is adequate, and easy to use. For a good quality one, I'd say you'll have to pay (or find other ways).
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#1112 Post by snotball » 20 Aug 2008, 08:53

F.N.G. wrote:
depending on what you want to do, and assuming you have windows, Movie Maker is adequate, and easy to use. For a good quality one, I'd say you'll have to pay (or find other ways).
I need to cut out a segment out of a movie.
Bad dates

TravisBickle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1113 Post by TravisBickle » 20 Aug 2008, 09:33

snotball wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Adobe Premiere is the best for Windows, but as F.N.G. says, it's going to cost. For Mac there's imovie which is free and for the best OS around, Linux, there's LIVES video editing which obviously is free. :)
It's Business As Usual

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1114 Post by F.N.G. » 20 Aug 2008, 11:39

TravisBickle wrote:
snotball wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Adobe Premiere is the best for Windows, but as F.N.G. says, it's going to cost. For Mac there's imovie which is free and for the best OS around, Linux, there's LIVES video editing which obviously is free. :)
type of file? What do you wish to do with the segment afterwards? I believe there's a programme called Mediasplitter or avisplitter which can easily do this, which is freewear. Will look into it.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1115 Post by F.N.G. » 20 Aug 2008, 11:44

F.N.G. wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
snotball wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
type of file? What do you wish to do with the segment afterwards? I believe there's a programme called Mediasplitter or avisplitter which can easily do this, which is freeware. Will look into it.
Here are some shareware and trial versions which may be useful. Some give 30day trials, sometimes they watermark though, so have a read through / try.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#1116 Post by snotball » 20 Aug 2008, 11:47

F.N.G. wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
snotball wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
type of file? What do you wish to do with the segment afterwards? I believe there's a programme called Mediasplitter or avisplitter which can easily do this, which is freeware. Will look into it.
Here are some shareware and trial versions which may be useful. Some give 30day trials, sometimes they watermark though, so have a read through / try.
Thanks.
Bad dates

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1117 Post by Ulkesh » 20 Aug 2008, 13:34

snotball wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
snotball wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Thanks.
There's AviDemux which I use under Linux but there's also a Windows version. Depending on the video file format, you might also be able to use VirtualDub. Both are free.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1118 Post by Gren » 26 Aug 2008, 21:33

My free McAfee subscription has just run out. Is AVGFree and ZoneAlarm still the best (or at least, one of) free option?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Philip

#1119 Post by Philip » 26 Aug 2008, 22:45

Gren wrote:My free McAfee subscription has just run out. Is AVGFree and ZoneAlarm still the best (or at least, one of) free option?
AVG or Avira for antivirus. For firewall, I'd choose Comodo ahead of ZoneAlarm.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#1120 Post by Nunis » 26 Aug 2008, 23:20

AVG is superb.

TravisBickle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1121 Post by TravisBickle » 28 Aug 2008, 08:45

Gren wrote:My free McAfee subscription has just run out. Is AVGFree and ZoneAlarm still the best (or at least, one of) free option?
I've always found AVG great with Windows, but why not say, "fuck off and die viruses", buy switching to Linux! :)
It's Business As Usual

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1122 Post by Mazer » 02 Sep 2008, 10:37

Ok, having an issue that google, and brief browses through my computer dont seem to be able to help with.

I got a new laptop (an Acer extensa) and the issue is with the keyboard. It is bilingual, so many of the keys also have the french for what they do on them. That is fine, but some of the keys seem to do different things at certain times. All of the punctuation keys to the left of the letters have different characters, like vowels with accents. Sometimes this function seems to get turned on and then I cant get access to apostrophes, backslashes, question marks and the like.

I cant seem to figure out how to switch between modes, or to lock it so that I can use those keys as what I expect them to be.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Let me know if this isnt clear and I will try to explain better. Thanks.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#1123 Post by Nunis » 02 Sep 2008, 11:07

If you go to Control Panel > Keyboard (I think that's what it's called, not on Windows at the moment so can't be sure), what does it say under Input Local (or whatever the hell it's called)? When I do a fresh install of Windows, it always includes US and Swedish keyboard layouts, and I always delete the US one so there's only one available and I don't accidentally switch.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#1124 Post by Nunis » 02 Sep 2008, 11:10

Actually, you want to go Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages tab. Then under "Text services and input language" click Details to see all available keyboard configs. If you have two (say, Canadian and French), delete the French.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1125 Post by Mazer » 02 Sep 2008, 11:14

Nunis wrote:If you go to Control Panel > Keyboard (I think that's what it's called, not on Windows at the moment so can't be sure), what does it say under Input Local (or whatever the hell it's called)?
I would need to know what it is called before I can answer that. Under Control Panel - Keyboard, my options are Speed or Hardware. The Hardware tab has a list of devices with one entry (Launch Manager).

I just discovered something else. My computer has a language bar, which I have showing on my desktop and set to US. It also has options for Canadian French or Canadian Multilingual. When this issue first shows up, the language bar still shows US, but switching to Canadian French and then back seems to have fixed it. So I guess that's kind of an answer to my original question, but since I didn't turn it on, I'm wondering if there's something I can do to prevent the switch from happening / some way that I'm inadvertently triggering it.