Cell Phones

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

Re: Cell Phones

#51 Post by Gren » 04 May 2011, 01:31

I finally decided to join modern times and replaced my crappy LG with an HTC Desire. I'm now addicted to Word Feud (Android), any players?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#52 Post by Scruluce » 04 May 2011, 02:34

Gren wrote:I finally decided to join modern times and replaced my crappy LG with an HTC Desire. I'm now addicted to Word Feud (Android), any players?
Hmm... Words with Friends available in you android market? Its a crossover app with apple products, so you will have no shortage of competitors.
...unless something better's on TV

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#53 Post by Gren » 05 May 2011, 14:01

Scruluce wrote:
Gren wrote:I finally decided to join modern times and replaced my crappy LG with an HTC Desire. I'm now addicted to Word Feud (Android), any players?
Hmm... Words with Friends available in you android market? Its a crossover app with apple products, so you will have no shortage of competitors.
My friend and lots of online reviews says WwF is very buggy, at least on android, so I haven't tried. Plus it looks ugly. But I may gave it a try.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#54 Post by » 05 May 2011, 14:42

Gren wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
My friend and lots of online reviews says WwF is very buggy, at least on android, so I haven't tried. Plus it looks ugly. But I may gave it a try.
I have it on the android. The only times I have problems with it are when I'm not diligent about keeping up with the updates.

That said, Word Feud seems to be a little cleaner
The :) means it's all ok.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#55 Post by F.N.G. » 01 Nov 2012, 14:34

Ok, so my contract is up and my phone's battery life is now pretty poor: need some suggestions again.

I've now decided I would like a full qwerty keyboard if possible, but preferably a slide or fold out rather than a tiny Blackberry style one. I'd still like a good camera (at least 5mpx), decent web browser (3G? I really don't know about web browsers on phones, I only know my last one had one but was painfully slow, even for just checking emails/football scores), but don't really care for zillions of apps and stuff.

Either cheap as pay-as-you-go, or cheap contract (£15 per month) as I still don't really use them.

Any ideas?
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#56 Post by Middle » 03 Nov 2012, 06:41

F.N.G. wrote:Ok, so my contract is up and my phone's battery life is now pretty poor: need some suggestions again.

I've now decided I would like a full qwerty keyboard if possible, but preferably a slide or fold out rather than a tiny Blackberry style one. I'd still like a good camera (at least 5mpx), decent web browser (3G? I really don't know about web browsers on phones, I only know my last one had one but was painfully slow, even for just checking emails/football scores), but don't really care for zillions of apps and stuff.

Either cheap as pay-as-you-go, or cheap contract (£15 per month) as I still don't really use them.

Any ideas?
Try the phone finder on GSMArena. I've pretty much written off qwerty phones, so I'm not too sure about the quality of the phones still offering this. It seems to be becoming a niche market nowadays, ever since capacitive touch screens have made them pretty much obsolete.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#57 Post by F.N.G. » 04 Nov 2012, 04:09

Middle wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:Ok, so my contract is up and my phone's battery life is now pretty poor: need some suggestions again.

Any ideas?
Try the phone finder on GSMArena. I've pretty much written off qwerty phones, so I'm not too sure about the quality of the phones still offering this. It seems to be becoming a niche market nowadays, ever since capacitive touch screens have made them pretty much obsolete.
What's a capactitive touch screen? I wanted a QWERTY because I really don't get on with touch screens.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#58 Post by Middle » 04 Nov 2012, 05:17

F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:

Any ideas?
What's a capactitive touch screen? I wanted a QWERTY because I really don't get on with touch screens.
It's the type of touch screen that the iphone first introduced to mobile devices, with the ability to use it without the need for a stylus. Basically every cell phone has them nowadays, but this was a leap forward back in 2007/2008.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#59 Post by F.N.G. » 04 Nov 2012, 05:23

Middle wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:

Any ideas?
It's the type of touch screen that the iphone first introduced to mobile devices, with the ability to use it without the need for a stylus. Basically every cell phone has them nowadays, but this was a leap forward back in 2007/2008.
Fair enough. I just don't like them (didn't particularly like stylus ones either), my fingers are clearly too fat.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#60 Post by alan smithee » 04 Nov 2012, 10:40

Middle wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:

Any ideas?
It's the type of touch screen that the iphone first introduced to mobile devices
IIRC, one of the many lawsuits against Apple was because the iPhone purportedly stole the idea.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#61 Post by Middle » 05 Nov 2012, 04:42

alan smithee wrote:
Middle wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:

Any ideas?
It's the type of touch screen that the iphone first introduced to mobile devices
IIRC, one of the many lawsuits against Apple was because the iPhone purportedly stole the idea.
Yes, you're probably right (as usual), but I think the masses were first introduced to this type of screen.
(Update: the LG Prada was the first phone to use this technique)

It was definitely a turnaround in the use of touchscreen, the market being overrun by smartphones. Incidently, the then market leader Nokia only introduced its first capacitive touch phone in 2010, nearly 3 years after Apple intorduced the iPhone, and many other, formerly second tier manufacturers (Samsung, HTC, LG) had followed suit with Android devices.

alan smithee

#62 Post by alan smithee » 06 Nov 2012, 02:15

Middle wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Middle wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:

Any ideas?
... I think the masses were first introduced to this type of screen [via the iPhone].
Good point.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#63 Post by Scruluce » 18 Jun 2014, 12:31

This phone could lure me away from the core Droid line of phones. The processing power and battery life that this phone boasts already has my attention. If I did this, I would likely drop my iPad mini as well in favor of Kindle Fire. Much to consider here.

This phone is what I currently use and love. Battery life is awesome, and it has all the muscle of Droid, but is also starting to show some Google muscle in its refusal to sync with Facebook contacts. Instead, it syncs with Google+ for just about everything. I don't mind that it does this, but the exclusion of Facebook sync is a real pebble in my shoe.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#64 Post by Middle » 18 Jun 2014, 23:57

Scruluce wrote:This phone could lure me away from the core Droid line of phones. The processing power and battery life that this phone boasts already has my attention. If I did this, I would likely drop my iPad mini as well in favor of Kindle Fire. Much to consider here.

This phone is what I currently use and love. Battery life is awesome, and it has all the muscle of Droid, but is also starting to show some Google muscle in its refusal to sync with Facebook contacts. Instead, it syncs with Google+ for just about everything. I don't mind that it does this, but the exclusion of Facebook sync is a real pebble in my shoe.
Gizmodo wrote:There's simply no way around this: The software doesn't measure up to iOS, Android, or Windows Phone. In fact, it seems way behind. The operating system is called Fire 3.5, which is based on a forked version of Android 4.2.2, but Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) support wasn't added to Android until 4.3. This means that you can't use Fitbits, heart rate monitors, or a lot of other modern Bluetooth accessories. The hardware supports it, and Amazon says it will be coming when they update Fire OS to a version based on 4.4, but there is no timeline for when that will be.
I have no Amazon over here (the German store ships here without fees), so it's not an option for me. But besides that I can't really see the added value of this phone. It seems to have some gimmicky features, one of which is a blatant revenue driver for Amazon.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#65 Post by Scruluce » 19 Jun 2014, 10:36

Middle wrote:
Scruluce wrote:This phone could lure me away from the core Droid line of phones. The processing power and battery life that this phone boasts already has my attention. If I did this, I would likely drop my iPad mini as well in favor of Kindle Fire. Much to consider here.
Gizmodo wrote:There's simply no way around this: The software doesn't measure up to iOS, Android, or Windows Phone. In fact, it seems way behind. The operating system is called Fire 3.5, which is based on a forked version of Android 4.2.2, but Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) support wasn't added to Android until 4.3. This means that you can't use Fitbits, heart rate monitors, or a lot of other modern Bluetooth accessories. The hardware supports it, and Amazon says it will be coming when they update Fire OS to a version based on 4.4, but there is no timeline for when that will be.
I have no Amazon over here (the German store ships here without fees), so it's not an option for me. But besides that I can't really see the added value of this phone. It seems to have some gimmicky features, one of which is a blatant revenue driver for Amazon.
The lack of BLE is a surprise, and the one real reservation I do have is the software itself. Android is open source, which is why there are so many damn android devices out there that are different from all others. I don't use any BLE devices, so that isn't a huge concern. I am still very much on the fence, and am in no position to do anything about it currently. I still may or may not sell my iPad mini in favor of a Kindle Fire.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#66 Post by Middle » 27 Oct 2014, 11:49

Anyone here familiar with the OnePlus One phone? Desperately trying to get an invite for this; my current phone is busted...

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#67 Post by Batman » 28 Oct 2014, 00:36

Middle wrote:Anyone here familiar with the OnePlus One phone?
Isn't that the Two phone?
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#68 Post by Middle » 28 Oct 2014, 03:54

Batman wrote:
Middle wrote:Anyone here familiar with the OnePlus One phone?
Isn't that the Two phone?
Three?

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#69 Post by Scruluce » 28 Oct 2014, 08:33

Middle wrote:Anyone here familiar with the OnePlus One phone? Desperately trying to get an invite for this; my current phone is busted...
http://oneplus.net/how-to-buy
and
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobil ... ut-invite/

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#70 Post by Middle » 31 Oct 2014, 02:14

Scruluce wrote:
Middle wrote:Anyone here familiar with the OnePlus One phone? Desperately trying to get an invite for this; my current phone is busted...
http://oneplus.net/how-to-buy
and
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobil ... ut-invite/
Yes, I read those. The pre-order was such a success that servers were unavailable. And it's now impossible to get new invites.
I decided to go for the (now dirt-cheap) LG G2. Got it for just €300, and an additional €50 went of through an LG Cashback offer. It's basically a Nexus 5, but with a slightly larger screen.