Firefox Web browser

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Firefox Web browser

#1 Post by alan smithee » 25 Jul 2004, 00:31

I know we already have a "Web Browsers" topic (started by a non-plant, IIRC), but I figured a Firefox-specific thread wouldn't hurt. I've got some questions ...

Is there a way to retain (some or all?) open pages across sessions? That is, can I make so, say, FilmWise (and some other pages) are open where I left them after I close and reopen Mozilla? (Or perhaps even just reopen all of them.)

Is there a way to open multiple pages simultaneously? For example, a whole folder of bookmarks.

Middle clicking (at least with the default settings) opens a link in a new tab. Is there a way to open a link in a new tab and immediately change the focus to that tab (aside from middle-clicking then clicking on the new tab, of course)?

Is there a way to have type an address in the address bar and have it open a new tab? Right now I am typing and hitting Ctrl-T before I hit enter. I'd like this to be the default action when I hit enter.

These questions are in order of importance to me, with the last two being pretty unimportant.

Thanks for any help ...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#2 Post by bing » 25 Jul 2004, 07:05

You definitely can make a bookmark that opens multiple pages, each in a new tab.

alan smithee

#3 Post by alan smithee » 25 Jul 2004, 12:16

bing wrote:You definitely can make a bookmark that opens multiple pages, each in a new tab.
How?

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#4 Post by bing » 25 Jul 2004, 12:28

You can right click a bookmarks folder and select "open in tabs" I think there's also a way to have it open multiple pages upon opening.

alan smithee

#5 Post by alan smithee » 25 Jul 2004, 12:31

bing wrote:You can right click a bookmarks folder and select "open in tabs" I think there's also a way to have it open multiple pages upon opening.
Very handy. Any way I can get all the bookmarks to open without stepping all over my currently open pages? :-?

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#6 Post by bing » 25 Jul 2004, 12:44

CTRL - N?

alan smithee

#7 Post by alan smithee » 25 Jul 2004, 14:15

bing wrote:CTRL - N?
I guess that's a solution. I was hoping for all-new tabs within the original window (where I have tabs open already).

AlottaFagina
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8 Post by AlottaFagina » 25 Jul 2004, 22:16

Just ran across this yesterday. Is it of any help?
http://www.scamfreezone.com/kickstart/

alan smithee

#9 Post by alan smithee » 25 Jul 2004, 22:23

AlottaFagina wrote:Just ran across this yesterday. Is it of any help?
http://www.scamfreezone.com/kickstart/
I'm definitely going to hold out for a free (made-for-Firefox) solution, but if that's a pipe dream, then I'll probably try out the Browser Kickstart thing

AlottaFagina
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by AlottaFagina » 25 Jul 2004, 22:24

Yeah, I just noticed the fee. I had only scrolled down as far as the demo. :roll:

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re: Firefox Web browser

#11 Post by Ulkesh » 03 Aug 2004, 17:36

alan smithee wrote:Is there a way to retain (some or all?) open pages across sessions? That is, can I make so, say, FilmWise (and some other pages) are open where I left them after I close and reopen Mozilla? (Or perhaps even just reopen all of them.)
I'm not sure but there might be an extension that does this, I'll search for it.
alan smithee wrote:Middle clicking (at least with the default settings) opens a link in a new tab. Is there a way to open a link in a new tab and immediately change the focus to that tab (aside from middle-clicking then clicking on the new tab, of course)?
In the "Advanced" options, check "Select new tabs opened from links".
alan smithee wrote:Is there a way to have type an address in the address bar and have it open a new tab? Right now I am typing and hitting Ctrl-T before I hit enter. I'd like this to be the default action when I hit enter.
Hitting Ctrl+Enter or Alt+Enter (depending on your OS) should do just that.

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12 Post by Ulkesh » 03 Aug 2004, 17:58

alan smithee wrote:
bing wrote:You can right click a bookmarks folder and select "open in tabs" I think there's also a way to have it open multiple pages upon opening.
Very handy. Any way I can get all the bookmarks to open without stepping all over my currently open pages? :-?
This one involves some tweaking:
- in the url bar type "about:config", this should give you a huge list of settings, some match stuff in the options, some are internal
- look for a setting named "browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace"
- double-click it to change its value to "false"
- should work now :)

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#13 Post by bing » 03 Aug 2004, 18:02

Ulkesh wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
This one involves some tweaking:
- in the url bar type "about:config", this should give you a huge list of settings, some match stuff in the options, some are internal
- look for a setting named "browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace"
- double-click it to change its value to "false"
- should work now :)
Wow. A firefox guru... What other secrets do you have hidden up your sleeve?

alan smithee

#14 Post by alan smithee » 04 Aug 2004, 02:32

Holy. Shit. Ulkesh, you got mad pimpin' Firefox skillz!

Thanks a lot -- you just turned Firefox from very good into awesome for me!

alan smithee

#15 Post by alan smithee » 04 Aug 2004, 02:57

Ulkesh wrote:
alan smithee wrote:Middle clicking (at least with the default settings) opens a link in a new tab. Is there a way to open a link in a new tab and immediately change the focus to that tab (aside from middle-clicking then clicking on the new tab, of course)?
In the "Advanced" options, check "Select new tabs opened from links".
I'll admit it: I'm a greedy bastard. I want to be able to do both from my mouse (e.g., middle click while open a link in a new tab w/o changing focus and right click opens a link in a new tab and changes focus (presumably keeping left click to open-in-this-window)). Too greedy?

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#16 Post by Ulkesh » 04 Aug 2004, 04:36

alan smithee wrote:I'll admit it: I'm a greedy bastard. I want to be able to do both from my mouse (e.g., middle click while open a link in a new tab w/o changing focus and right click opens a link in a new tab and changes focus (presumably keeping left click to open-in-this-window)). Too greedy?
Use Shift+Middle-click.
If "Select new tabs opened from links" is checked, then Middle-click opens tabs in the foreground, and Shift+Middle-click opens them in the background.
If it is unchecked, Middle-click opens tabs in the background and Shift+Middle-click opens tabs in the foreground.

alan smithee

#17 Post by alan smithee » 04 Aug 2004, 10:42

Ulkesh wrote:
alan smithee wrote:I'll admit it: I'm a greedy bastard. I want to be able to do both from my mouse (e.g., middle click while open a link in a new tab w/o changing focus and right click opens a link in a new tab and changes focus (presumably keeping left click to open-in-this-window)). Too greedy?
Use Shift+Middle-click.
If "Select new tabs opened from links" is checked, then Middle-click opens tabs in the foreground, and Shift+Middle-click opens them in the background.
If it is unchecked, Middle-click opens tabs in the background and Shift+Middle-click opens tabs in the foreground.
Nice. Thanks again!

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#18 Post by Ulkesh » 04 Aug 2004, 13:39

Ulkesh wrote:
alan smithee wrote:Is there a way to retain (some or all?) open pages across sessions? That is, can I make so, say, FilmWise (and some other pages) are open where I left them after I close and reopen Mozilla? (Or perhaps even just reopen all of them.)
I'm not sure but there might be an extension that does this, I'll search for it.
Alright, I found an extension that does what you want, but it hasn't been updated in a while, and it looks like it's beta-quality so there might be bugs. That said, I tested it and it appears to work.

It's called SessionSaver, and it can be downloaded here.

alan smithee

#19 Post by alan smithee » 04 Aug 2004, 16:33

Ulkesh wrote:
Ulkesh wrote:
Alright, I found an extension that does what you want, but it hasn't been updated in a while, and it looks like it's beta-quality so there might be bugs. That said, I tested it and it appears to work.

It's called SessionSaver, and it can be downloaded here.
Sweet! Installed it and it seems to working great. Thanks once again!

Philip

#20 Post by Philip » 04 Aug 2004, 17:03

This has quickly become the most useful thread around here. Thanks for all the pointers, Ulkesh.

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#21 Post by plaxii » 05 Aug 2004, 10:23

ok since this looks liek the place to ask all the questions, when i do a search by just start typing in a word, how do i go to the next word that fits the citeria?

if i hit enter it does nothgin, unless it is a hyperlink then it opens the hyperlink

thanks
I am in a world of shit

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#22 Post by bing » 05 Aug 2004, 10:28

plaxii wrote:ok since this looks liek the place to ask all the questions, when i do a search by just start typing in a word, how do i go to the next word that fits the citeria?

if i hit enter it does nothgin, unless it is a hyperlink then it opens the hyperlink
Yeah, I wanted to know this, too...

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23 Post by Ulkesh » 05 Aug 2004, 11:10

plaxii wrote:ok since this looks liek the place to ask all the questions, when i do a search by just start typing in a word, how do i go to the next word that fits the citeria?

thanks
Press either F3 or Ctrl+G.

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#24 Post by plaxii » 05 Aug 2004, 11:28

wow ulkesh you are the best

so how do you know all this stuff, you on the project at alll or just liek helping out us know nothings?
I am in a world of shit

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#25 Post by bing » 05 Aug 2004, 11:34

Ulkesh wrote:

Press either F3 or Ctrl+G.
Thanks Ulkesh