Firefox Web browser

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#101 Post by Ulkesh » 25 Apr 2006, 17:14

kinggrl wrote:
kinggrl wrote:While memory usage usually runs from 90,000k to 115,000k (which is quasi-acceptable), why does firefox consistently use 40-75% of my CPU usage??! I'm not doing anything crazy-go-nuts with it.
Anyone??
Websites with animated gifs/flash animations eat a lot of cpu, that might be it.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#102 Post by alan smithee » 25 Apr 2006, 17:32

kinggrl wrote:
kinggrl wrote:While memory usage usually runs from 90,000k to 115,000k (which is quasi-acceptable), why does firefox consistently use 40-75% of my CPU usage??! I'm not doing anything crazy-go-nuts with it.
Anyone??
What extensions are you running? Do you have the latest version of FF? Do you have the latest Window updates installed? How many instances of FF do you have open? How many tabs in each instance?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#103 Post by kinggrl » 25 Apr 2006, 19:00

alan smithee wrote:What extensions are you running?
Google Toolbar
Flash Block
alan smithee wrote:Do you have the latest version of FF?
Yes. 1.5.0.2
alan smithee wrote: Do you have the latest Window updates installed?
Yes, as far as I know.
alan smithee wrote: How many instances of FF do you have open? How many tabs in each instance?
Just one. I usually average only 1 to 3 tabs. It could happen on a page with alot going on (read: FW), or just as easily happen when I'm looking at email (via Microsoft Outlook Web Access) without a bunch going on. Or somtimes just when I'm sitting on Google. But, it's always firefox that's eating the cpu up.

alan smithee

#104 Post by alan smithee » 25 Apr 2006, 19:08

kinggrl wrote:
alan smithee wrote:What extensions are you running?
Google Toolbar
Flash Block
If you can put up with not having them (for at least the duration of an experiment), try disabling them (you don't have to remove them) both. (Then run FF for a while; if the problem still shows up, it ain't (just) the extensions; if not, it probably is. (duh.))

Also, you can try FF Safe Mode, which I know very little about. Run it with the command line execution

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
kinggrl wrote:
alan smithee wrote: Do you have the latest Window updates installed?
Yes, as far as I know.
You can find out by going here (in IE, sadly).
kinggrl wrote:
alan smithee wrote: How many instances of FF do you have open? How many tabs in each instance?
Just one. I usually average only 1 to 3 tabs. It could happen on a page with alot going on (read: FW), or just as easily happen when I'm looking at email (via Microsoft Outlook Web Access) without a bunch going on. Or somtimes just when I'm sitting on Google. But, it's always firefox that's eating the cpu up.
Hmm. It sounds you've pretty much already thought about this and answered the question, but I'll ask it anyway: can you run FF and nothing else and still have the problem?

Also, is the problem regular? (e.g., oes it always happen after about, say, 10 minutes of running? Or sometimes quick and sometimes not at all? etc.)

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#105 Post by JJ » 28 Apr 2006, 09:21

Why did nobody tell me about extensions? Where's the :ibb: emoticon?
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#106 Post by alan smithee » 28 Apr 2006, 09:24

JJ wrote:Where's the :ibb: emoticon?
You'll need the extension.

alan smithee

#107 Post by alan smithee » 24 Oct 2006, 15:06

Anyone tried out v2 yet?

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#108 Post by Middle » 25 Oct 2006, 01:02

Yeah, I installed it yesterday night, and it looks good so far. Noticable differences are the 'close'-button on the tabs and the spell-check function (which bugged me out at first). Otherwise not many differences that I could see so far. Then again, my computer was acting up, so I should probably reinstall XP this weekend again...
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

alan smithee

#109 Post by alan smithee » 25 Oct 2006, 01:10

m1ddle wrote:Yeah, I installed it yesterday night, and it looks good so far. Noticable differences are the 'close'-button on the tabs and the spell-check function (which bugged me out at first). Otherwise not many differences that I could see so far. Then again, my computer was acting up, so I should probably reinstall XP this weekend again...
That close-tab button is annoying; I couldn't figure out how to disable it (through presumably there's some about:config string or something). Additionally, I thought v2 was going to have remember-tabs-I-had-open functionality built in (like SessionSaver or Tab Mix Plus).

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#110 Post by Middle » 25 Oct 2006, 01:14

I'm not sure if that's in the 2.0 version. I was reading a review yesterday that (I think) said that it was going to be included in V3.0, which will be available in April. I should doublecheck though; it might be in there (would be really good for FW-board browsing....)

alan smithee

#111 Post by alan smithee » 25 Oct 2006, 01:18

m1ddle wrote:I'm not sure if that's in the 2.0 version. I was reading a review yesterday that (I think) said that it was going to be included in V3.0, which will be available in April. I should doublecheck though; it might be in there (would be really good for FW-board browsing....)
I think it's an awesome feature — I used to use SessionSaver and now use Tab Mix Plus (on the machine that is still running v1.5). If v2 doesn't have this feautre, I'll just keep usin' Tab Mix Plus (which right now is at RC1 for v2 support).

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#112 Post by Nunis » 25 Oct 2006, 02:55

So far, it's excellent.

Smithee, check out the release notes below.

What's New in Firefox 2

*Visual Refresh: Firefox 2's theme and user interface have been updated to improve usability without altering the familiarity of the browsing experience.

*Built-in phishing protection: Phishing Protection warns users when they encounter suspected Web forgeries, and offers to return the user to their home page. Phishing Protection is turned on by default, and works by checking sites against either a local or online list of known phishing sites. This list is automatically downloaded and regularly updated when the Phishing Protection feature is enabled.

*Enhanced search capabilities: Search term suggestions will now appear as users type in the integrated search box when using the Google, Yahoo! or Answers.com search engines. A new search engine manager makes it easier to add, remove and re-order search engines, and users will be alerted when Firefox encounters a website that offers new search engines that the user may wish to install.

*Improved tabbed browsing: By default, Firefox will open links in new tabs instead of new windows, and each tab will now have a close tab button. Power users who open more tabs than can fit in a single window will see arrows on the left and right side of the tab strip that let them scroll back and forth between their tabs. The History menu will keep a list of recently closed tabs, and a shortcut lets users quickly re-open an accidentally closed tab.

*Resuming your browsing session: The Session Restore feature restores windows, tabs, text typed in forms, and in-progress downloads from the last user session. It will be activated automatically when installing an application update or extension, and users will be asked if they want to resume their previous session after a system crash.

*Previewing and subscribing to Web feeds: Users can decide how to handle Web feeds (like this one), either subscribing to them via a Web service or in a standalone RSS reader, or adding them as Live Bookmarks. My Yahoo!, Bloglines and Google Reader come pre-loaded as Web service options, but users can add any Web service that handles RSS feeds.

*Inline spell checking: A new built-in spell checker enables users to quickly check the spelling of text entered into Web forms (like this one) without having to use a separate application.

*Live Titles: When a website offers a microsummary (a regularly updated summary of the most important information on a Web page), users can create a bookmark with a "Live Title". Compact enough to fit in the space available to a bookmark label, they provide more useful information about pages than static page titles, and are regularly updated with the latest information. There are several websites that can be bookmarked with Live Titles, and even more add-ons to generate Live Titles for other popular websites.

*Improved Add-ons manager: The new Add-ons manager improves the user interface for managing extensions and themes, combining them both in a single tool.

*JavaScript 1.7: JavaScript 1.7 is a language update introducing several new features such as generators, iterators, array comprehensions, let expressions, and destructuring assignments. It also includes all the features of JavaScript 1.6.

*Extended search plugin format: The Firefox search engine format now supports search engine plugins written in Sherlock and OpenSearch formats and allows search engines to provide search term suggestions.

*Updates to the extension system: The extension system has been updated to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.

*Client-side session and persistent storage: New support for storing structured data on the client side, to enable better handling of online transactions and improved performance when dealing with large amounts of data, such as documents and mailboxes. This is based on the WHATWG specification for client-side session and persistent storage.

*SVG text: Support for the svg:textpath specification enables SVG text to follow a curve or shape.

*New Windows installer: Based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, the new Windows installer resolves many long-standing issues.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#113 Post by Middle » 25 Oct 2006, 03:43

Thanks Nunis. That cleared a lot up!

Only problem now is that the IT department at work still hangs on to IE6 for some odd reason. I personally ditched that piece of junk about 3 years ago. So I can't really say what my personal experiences with FF2 are... (or even IE7, which does seem a lot more practical than v6....)

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#114 Post by Nunis » 25 Oct 2006, 04:07

Also smithee, and anyone else, you really need this extension.

In in, you can set tab focus preferences, you can turn off spell-check and you can disable the close-tab button.

This one is a must-have, I've been using it for as long as I've been using Firefox.

alan smithee

#115 Post by alan smithee » 21 Nov 2006, 03:25

the following hack (which I saw here) could be useful:
There's also a little hack you can do so that Firefox only consumes 10mb of memory when it's minimized:

1. Open Firefox and go to the Address Bar. Type in about:config and then press Enter.
2. Right Click in the page and select New -> Boolean.
3. In the box that pops up enter config.trim_on_minimize. Press Enter.
4. Now select True and then press Enter.
5. Restart Firefox.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#116 Post by Nunis » 22 Nov 2006, 05:44

Here's a handy tip for any Firefox user, to add search functionality without having to visit the site to search. It's not as complicated as I made that sound. Let me give an example.

- Visit IMDb.com.
- Right click in the search box.
- Choose "Add a keyword for this search".
- Save your keyword as "imdb"
- Test it our by typing "imdb gosford park" (without the quotes) in your address bar.
- Presto.

This works for any search, and you can give it any name you want. Might be an idea to save all these custom searches in a folder somewhere in your Bookmarks.

More here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... words.html

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#117 Post by plaxii » 22 Nov 2006, 06:49

wow that was pretty cool thanks for the hint
I am in a world of shit

alan smithee

#118 Post by alan smithee » 29 Nov 2006, 01:59

I wonder how much memory this guy's Firefox uses

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#119 Post by Middle » 29 Nov 2006, 02:04

alan smithee wrote:I wonder how much memory this guy's Firefox uses
Yikes... :o

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#120 Post by bing » 30 Nov 2006, 09:56

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#121 Post by Agrajag » 12 Feb 2007, 19:51

So I'm new to Firefox, and I'm browsing thru the add-ons. Not sure if someone here can point me to the right one faster (or maybe it's something in preferences)

Here at FW, the text box works similar to IE--after I'm done typing, I can just hit Tab twice and hit enter to Submit my entry. However, over at MySpace, in the text box (which previews HTML so control B make bold or control I makes italics) when I click tab, it inserts a tab in my text.

Is there some way to make the text box not accept tabs any more like it did in IE??

EDIT--also, I got the new IE feature which mimics Firefox with tabs and the like before downloading Firefox on my laptop... That had the nice feature, of when closing multiple tabs, having the option to Reopen the same multiple tabs on next browser open. I'm installing the Tabbrowser Preferences Nunis suggested a few posts up, but before restarting Firefox I wanted to ask here in case there was anything else I didn't know about FF.

EDIT 2 Electric Boogaloo--another annoyance is the lack of Ctrl-Tab working in FF. I love using the keyboard to do everything, and Ctrl-Tab used to automatically move the cursor to the URL window. Now, nothing :-( Any way to bring this function back?
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

alan smithee

#122 Post by alan smithee » 13 Feb 2007, 01:09

Try the Tab Mix Plus extension.

Try using Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#123 Post by Agrajag » 14 Feb 2007, 18:44

alan smithee wrote:Try the Tab Mix Plus extension.

Try using Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn.
ty
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#124 Post by Mazer » 09 Jul 2007, 11:12

Ok, per the prompting box, I just upgraded my Firefox, only to find out after that this version is no longer compatible with SessionSaver, which was one of the main things I liked. Does anyone here have any suggestions about something equivalent, or barring that, how I can downgrade my ff to a compatible version?

alan smithee

#125 Post by alan smithee » 09 Jul 2007, 11:22

Mazer wrote:Ok, per the prompting box, I just upgraded my Firefox, only to find out after that this version is no longer compatible with SessionSaver, which was one of the main things I liked. Does anyone here have any suggestions about something equivalent, or barring that, how I can downgrade my ff to a compatible version?
the latest version of FF has session saving built in; also, you may want to check out Tab Mix Plus