FilmWise Forums
It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 23:41

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5400 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 216  Next
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2005, 17:44 
Director
Director

I figured we need one of these.

Ok, so is anyone else watching Prison Break and every time you hear those guys talk about "Fibonacci" you can only think "1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89..."? Or is it just me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2005, 18:00 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

well, i'm not watching, but i reckon it's just you :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2005, 19:03 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Me too! All I could think was the famous sequence. Well, actually, some math tv show I used to watch that had a reference to the sequence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2005, 19:14 
Director
Director

Eric Draven wrote:
Me too! All I could think was the famous sequence. Well, actually, some math tv show I used to watch that had a reference to the sequence.

At least I'm not the only weirdo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 03:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

For all of you super-geniuses out there(bing, Smithee, Batman, et al.).

"Top Fuel" dragsters, that use internal combustion engines, run on almost 100% alcohol. They bviously provide ample horsepower, more than what would be needed for the averge SUV. We (the general "we") can make alcohol out of many things, not the least of which would be the abundance that is corn.

Here is my serious question:

Why are we still refining crude oil? Why aren't we powering our vehicles with corn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 03:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Will wrote:

"Top Fuel" dragsters, that use internal combustion engines, run on almost 100% alcohol. They bviously provide ample horsepower, more than what would be needed for the averge SUV. We (the general "we") can make alcohol out of many things, not the least of which would be the abundance that is corn.

Why are we still refining crude oil? Why aren't we powering our vehicles with corn?

I don't think we need a super-genius to answer this question. *cough*governmentintervention*cough* *cough*bigoil*cough*

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 04:24 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

kinggrl wrote:
Will wrote:

I don't think we need a super-genius to answer this question. *cough*governmentintervention*cough* *cough*bigoil*cough*

I blame The Stonecutters.

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 04:25 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Gren wrote:
kinggrl wrote:
Will wrote:

I blame The Stonecutters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 07:59 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

i recall an episode of American Chopper where they had a motor that could run on corn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 08:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Mr.StayPuft wrote:
i recall an episode of American Chopper where they had a motor that could run on corn.

are you thinking of Monster Garage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 08:12 
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

Will wrote:

Ethanol (corn power) is actually a long way from becoming a viable solution. The process of refining the ethanol from corn takes energy, so it's not like it's "free" power. The technology isn't quite there yet to make it clearly better than oil, nor is there the wide support system that the gasoline system enjoys (which, in effect is "locked in" to the market).

Also, corn is plentiful in the US only because we make it so. Take out subsidies and our corn surplus disappears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 08:16 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Caulfield wrote:
Mr.StayPuft wrote:

are you thinking of Monster Garage?

nope, it was American Chopper. i recall that they were stressed (as usual) that they weren't getting their motor on time because the company decided to send them one that could run on gasoline or alternative fuels (namely corn).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:16 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

Will wrote:

Short answer: Oil is cheaper unless you subsidize ethanol production.

From the Daily Nebraskan, 30 Aug 2005: Ethanol costs approximately $1.34 to $1.45 to produce as opposed to $1.11 for unleaded gasoline. However, fuel grade alcohol is cheaper than regular gasoline because of the Federal ethanol tax incentive first introduced in 1979. Every gallon of fuel grade ethanol currently gets a 52 cent tax credit, thereby making it cheaper than gasoline to the consumer.

The current federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.3 cents per gallon. For gasoline blended with 10 percent ethanol (also known as E10), the refiner/marketer pays 5.2 cents per gallon less tax, or 13.1 cents per gallon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:27 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

By the way, with the current case prices (which are set to go up again because of the storm), I need a fuckin' hybrid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:41 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I remember seeing on Yahoo news I think it was last week, an engineer who modified his Toyota Prius to get 250 MPG. The modifications cost him $2,000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:46 
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

fishn4 wrote:
I remember seeing on Yahoo news I think it was last week, an engineer who modified his Toyota Prius to get 250 MPG. The modifications cost him $2,000.

It involved buying extra batteries and charging them from his home sockets, so he was fueling his car on gas and electricity instead of on gas alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:48 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

fishn4 wrote:

But he had to plug in at home (for example) and store a bunch of batteries in his trunk. In essence, it was a battery-powered car that relied on the standard Prius 50/50 battery/gas mix when the trunk batteries ran out. These astronomical mpg figures don't take into account the cost of charging the batteries. (They also require the car to not be driven long distances -- which may be a reasonable requirement, assuming your commute is not "long.")

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:50 

nerdPBed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 10:23 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

kinggrl wrote:
By the way, with the current case prices (which are set to go up again because of the storm), I need a fuckin' hybrid.

Figure in the increased price, the long term cost of replacing the batteries, and the lack of certified mechanics for them, they still aren't quite worth it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 11:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

knarf wrote:
kinggrl wrote:

Figure in the increased price, the long term cost of replacing the batteries, and the lack of certified mechanics for them, they still aren't quite worth it to me.

The Federal tax break you get offsets the cost of replacement batteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 12:47 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

You Know, for Kids wrote:
knarf wrote:
kinggrl wrote:

The Federal tax break you get offsets the cost of replacement batteries.

Possibly. Depends on your tax situation, the true life of the batteries, and whether or not their cost comes down in the future as claimed. And even at $3 per gallon, it would take a long time to offset the extra price of a hybrid vs. a comparable "regular" car.

Also, while some people believe they're doing it more for the environment than for the money, there's going to be the issue of battery disposal that has to be dealt with.

Don't get me wrong though - I think it will be a great thing eventually, there's just way to many issues right now for me to be an early adopter. If fuel economy was my main issue, a diesel VW would probably be my current choice, especially after the new energy bill goes into effect and there are tax breaks on them too. Unless you live in one of the "no diesel" states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 12:53 
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

Anyway, I think fuel cell technology will leapfrog any technology involving advanced or more efficient combustion engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 13:43 

bing wrote:
Anyway, I think fuel cell technology will leapfrog any technology involving advanced or more efficient combustion engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 17:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

kinggrl wrote:

I'm ready to hop my fat ass on a moped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 19:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Will wrote:
kinggrl wrote:

I'm ready to hop my fat ass on a moped.

They were advertising Vespas on the radio today here. "Gas efficient." Yes, I'm sure they are. However, since I can't take them on the friggen' freeway, it will take me 2 hours to get to work on one. Plus, like, I'm really uncoordinated. High chance of personal injury. But, I think I'd look kick-ass on one. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5400 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 216  Next