Random thing you want to ask

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
Message
Author
User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33808
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4876 Post by Steel Frog » 29 Mar 2012, 04:40

Humphrey wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:I would like to use Cato's ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam as a template. I want to get substantially closer to the correct version than the blatantly silly: ceterum censeo presidentem esse resignam.
It's all Greek to me.
What I've got is that president is 'praesidis' and resigning an office is something like 'eiuro magistratum' as far as I can tell. Now I need to piece it together, but not knowing ancient Latin, this is proving difficult. Ah well.
I think it says:

"He who is valorous and pure of heart may find the Holy Grail in the aaaaarrrrrrggghhh..."

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4877 Post by Philip » 29 Mar 2012, 06:22

Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:I would like to use Cato's ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam as a template. I want to get substantially closer to the correct version than the blatantly silly: ceterum censeo presidentem esse resignam.
It's all Greek to me.
What I've got is that president is 'praesidis' and resigning an office is something like 'eiuro magistratum' as far as I can tell. Now I need to piece it together, but not knowing ancient Latin, this is proving difficult. Ah well.
I think it says:

"He who is valorous and pure of heart may find the Holy Grail in the aaaaarrrrrrggghhh..."
People called Romanes, they go the house?

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33808
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4878 Post by Steel Frog » 29 Mar 2012, 06:30

Philip wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:I would like to use Cato's ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam as a template. I want to get substantially closer to the correct version than the blatantly silly: ceterum censeo presidentem esse resignam.
It's all Greek to me.
What I've got is that president is 'praesidis' and resigning an office is something like 'eiuro magistratum' as far as I can tell. Now I need to piece it together, but not knowing ancient Latin, this is proving difficult. Ah well.
I think it says:

"He who is valorous and pure of heart may find the Holy Grail in the aaaaarrrrrrggghhh..."
People called Romanes, they go the house?
It says, "Romans go home!"

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4879 Post by Dawson » 29 Mar 2012, 06:32

Steel Frog wrote:
Philip wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:I would like to use Cato's ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam as a template. I want to get substantially closer to the correct version than the blatantly silly: ceterum censeo presidentem esse resignam.
It's all Greek to me.
What I've got is that president is 'praesidis' and resigning an office is something like 'eiuro magistratum' as far as I can tell. Now I need to piece it together, but not knowing ancient Latin, this is proving difficult. Ah well.
I think it says:

"He who is valorous and pure of heart may find the Holy Grail in the aaaaarrrrrrggghhh..."
People called Romanes, they go the house?
It says, "Romans go home!"
No it doesn't! What's the latin for "Roman"? Come on, come on !
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40086
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4880 Post by alan smithee » 31 Mar 2012, 19:03

Dawson wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Philip wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:I would like to use Cato's ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam as a template. I want to get substantially closer to the correct version than the blatantly silly: ceterum censeo presidentem esse resignam.
It's all Greek to me.
What I've got is that president is 'praesidis' and resigning an office is something like 'eiuro magistratum' as far as I can tell. Now I need to piece it together, but not knowing ancient Latin, this is proving difficult. Ah well.
I think it says:

"He who is valorous and pure of heart may find the Holy Grail in the aaaaarrrrrrggghhh..."
People called Romanes, they go the house?
It says, "Romans go home!"
No it doesn't! What's the latin for "Roman"? Come on, come on !
Image
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4881 Post by Dawson » 12 Apr 2012, 22:18

Not sure if here is the right place to put this but...

Any UK people on here, my friend has a film on the horror channel tonight, Stag night of the Dead.

It's a pretty big thing for him so he wants the viewing figures as big as possible. It's a silly little film but it's got some decent bits considering the cost

so watch it all!
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40086
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4882 Post by alan smithee » 13 Jun 2012, 17:03

(1) I want to concatenate two mp3s into one new mp3. Any suggestions for a good program and/or web site? (Win/Mac/Linux are all fine.)

(2) I want to take a YouTube video and extract the video, but only part of it—so given a YouTube link, start time, and end time, I'd like to end up a video file of some sort (that contains the video from during that time window).

Thanks!
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Posts: 15564
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Gender: Male
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4883 Post by Scruluce » 13 Jun 2012, 18:02

alan smithee wrote:(1) I want to concatenate two mp3s into one new mp3. Any suggestions for a good program and/or web site? (Win/Mac/Linux are all fine.)

(2) I want to take a YouTube video and extract the video, but only part of it—so given a YouTube link, start time, and end time, I'd like to end up a video file of some sort (that contains the video from during that time window).

Thanks!
I can probably do both for you. I know I can concatenate the mp3 files, at the very least. The video cropping may be a different matter.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4884 Post by Nunis » 13 Jun 2012, 23:50

Audible can sort out (1) for you.

User avatar
Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8502
Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Gender: Male
Location: Around

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4885 Post by Middle » 14 Jun 2012, 00:25

alan smithee wrote:(1) I want to concatenate two mp3s into one new mp3. Any suggestions for a good program and/or web site? (Win/Mac/Linux are all fine.)

(2) I want to take a YouTube video and extract the video, but only part of it—so given a YouTube link, start time, and end time, I'd like to end up a video file of some sort (that contains the video from during that time window).

Thanks!
You can probably use a youtube downloader of some sort to get the video. Then you can use a tool like Virtualdub to get the part of the video you like. Then use a tool like (don't know what platform you're using) iMovie or Windows Movie Maker to add the above made mp3 file to the video you just created - if that is what you want to do, of course.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40086
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4886 Post by alan smithee » 14 Jun 2012, 00:46

Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:(1) I want to concatenate two mp3s into one new mp3. Any suggestions for a good program and/or web site? (Win/Mac/Linux are all fine.)

(2) I want to take a YouTube video and extract the video, but only part of it—so given a YouTube link, start time, and end time, I'd like to end up a video file of some sort (that contains the video from during that time window).

Thanks!
I can probably do both for you. I know I can concatenate the mp3 files, at the very least. The video cropping may be a different matter.
Let me know if you make any progress in the video-cropping world. If I don't end up with a simple mp3-concatenation solution, I'll definitely hit you up for help on that. Thanks! (Be forewarned: the audio is 13 short clips (the first 5 go into one mp3, then next 8 go into a second mp3); the separate video task involves cutting three (maybe two) separate video clips (and each cut is simply a start and stop time, nothing more).)
Nunis wrote:Audible can sort out (1) for you.
Do you have a link? The only Audible my cursory searching turns up is Audible.com, the books-on-tape ... errr ... -on-computer site.
Middle wrote:
alan smithee wrote:(1) I want to concatenate two mp3s into one new mp3. Any suggestions for a good program and/or web site? (Win/Mac/Linux are all fine.)

(2) I want to take a YouTube video and extract the video, but only part of it—so given a YouTube link, start time, and end time, I'd like to end up a video file of some sort (that contains the video from during that time window).

Thanks!
You can probably use a youtube downloader of some sort to get the video. Then you can use a tool like Virtualdub to get the part of the video you like. Then use a tool like (don't know what platform you're using) iMovie or Windows Movie Maker to add the above made mp3 file to the video you just created - if that is what you want to do, of course.
I think you're suggesting help for a task that's more complicated than I need (maybe not, though)—those two tasks (one is audio editing, the other is video editing) are completely separate. (A solution to either task in Win or Mac or Linux would be great—looking back, I'm not quite sure why I noted my device independence only under the first task—it's true for both.)

I've now tried three sites for just downloading YouTube videos and none have worked. (I've tried Chrome, FF, & IE on Win7 so far.) Even a pointer to one of those that actually f#$%ing works would be a nice start.

And I'll check out Virtualdub—thanks.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Posts: 15564
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Gender: Male
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4887 Post by Scruluce » 14 Jun 2012, 01:03

alan smithee wrote:(Be forewarned: the audio is 13 short clips (the first 5 go into one mp3, then next 8 go into a second mp3); the separate video task involves cutting three (maybe two) separate video clips (and each cut is simply a start and stop time, nothing more).)
piece of cake!

User avatar
Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Posts: 15564
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Gender: Male
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4888 Post by Scruluce » 14 Jun 2012, 01:04

From a video downloading perspective, most of youtube's videos can be downloaded with RealPlayer (free version). Editing them once you have them is a different colored horse entirely.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4889 Post by Nunis » 14 Jun 2012, 06:55

alan smithee wrote:
Nunis wrote:Audible can sort out (1) for you.
Do you have a link? The only Audible my cursory searching turns up is Audible.com, the books-on-tape ... errr ... -on-computer site.
That's because I'm an idiot. I meant Audacity. Excellent free audio suite.

User avatar
Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8502
Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Gender: Male
Location: Around

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4890 Post by Middle » 14 Jun 2012, 07:04

I've always considered RealPlayer to be the biggest piece of crap the internet ever forced on us (back in 2000). I would try a Firefox or Chrome plugin, which are easy enough to find.This one (maybe a Dutch link) worked well for me.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40086
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4891 Post by alan smithee » 14 Jun 2012, 09:55

Nunis wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Nunis wrote:Audible can sort out (1) for you.
Do you have a link? The only Audible my cursory searching turns up is Audible.com, the books-on-tape ... errr ... -on-computer site.
That's because I'm an idiot.
list
Nunis wrote:I meant Audacity. Excellent free audio suite.
Cool—thanks.
Middle wrote:I've always considered RealPlayer to be the biggest piece of crap the internet ever forced on us (back in 2000). I would try a Firefox or Chrome plugin, which are easy enough to find.This one (maybe a Dutch link) worked well for me.
I'll check that out—thanks.

Scruluce has been incredibly helpful as he seems to already have the mad skillz that I'm trying to acquire.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35062
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4892 Post by » 25 Jun 2012, 05:16

The mild winter has led to the worst (and only) flea outbreak my house has ever known. What are some remedies that have worked for you to rid your home and pets of the offensive little fuckers?
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33808
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4893 Post by Steel Frog » 25 Jun 2012, 05:32

A² wrote:The mild winter has led to the worst (and only) flea outbreak my house has ever known. What are some remedies that have worked for you to rid your home and pets of the offensive little fuckers?
Image

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4894 Post by Dawson » 25 Jun 2012, 05:55

You got pets? sort them (and bedding) out first

Spray an insect growth regulator (IGR) like methoprene or pyriproxyfen. Room foggers (total release aerosols) aren't as effective as sprays unless they contain an IGR to prevent the larvae from turning into adult fleas. Without IGRs, larvae won't be controlled because they won't be reached at the base of carpet fibers where they develop
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5904
Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Gender: Female
Location: a furry little Don Quixote

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4895 Post by Buckykatt » 25 Jun 2012, 07:04

Did I miss a memo? Did everyone just wake up and decide to be shitty today? :(

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4896 Post by Dawson » 25 Jun 2012, 07:28

Buckykatt wrote:Did I miss a memo? Did everyone just wake up and decide to be shitty today? :(
Image
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8030
Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Gender: Female
Location: Over your shoulder

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4897 Post by spymeg » 25 Jun 2012, 11:15

Buckykatt wrote:Did I miss a memo? Did everyone just wake up and decide to be shitty today? :(
I got the memo.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35062
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4898 Post by » 25 Jun 2012, 12:31

Dawson wrote:You got pets? sort them (and bedding) out first

Spray an insect growth regulator (IGR) like methoprene or pyriproxyfen. Room foggers (total release aerosols) aren't as effective as sprays unless they contain an IGR to prevent the larvae from turning into adult fleas. Without IGRs, larvae won't be controlled because they won't be reached at the base of carpet fibers where they develop
I have to be very careful with any chemicals because of the 17-month old running around the house putting everything she finds in her mouth. The house foggers are definitely out.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8030
Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Gender: Female
Location: Over your shoulder

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4899 Post by spymeg » 25 Jun 2012, 12:37

A² wrote:
Dawson wrote:You got pets? sort them (and bedding) out first

Spray an insect growth regulator (IGR) like methoprene or pyriproxyfen. Room foggers (total release aerosols) aren't as effective as sprays unless they contain an IGR to prevent the larvae from turning into adult fleas. Without IGRs, larvae won't be controlled because they won't be reached at the base of carpet fibers where they develop
I have to be very careful with any chemicals because of the 17-month old running around the house putting everything she finds in her mouth. The house foggers are definitely out.
I'd call an exterminator or look for some "green" bug killers at home depot or something. Safer products are all natural and work pretty well. The stuff the pro's use these days is supposed to be safe for pets and kids, but you never know. Then get the pets all stuck with that Frontline stuff to keep them from bringing them inside again. :D

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Random thing you want to ask

#4900 Post by Mazer » 25 Jun 2012, 16:01

spymeg wrote:
A² wrote:
Dawson wrote:You got pets? sort them (and bedding) out first

Spray an insect growth regulator (IGR) like methoprene or pyriproxyfen. Room foggers (total release aerosols) aren't as effective as sprays unless they contain an IGR to prevent the larvae from turning into adult fleas. Without IGRs, larvae won't be controlled because they won't be reached at the base of carpet fibers where they develop
I have to be very careful with any chemicals because of the 17-month old running around the house putting everything she finds in her mouth. The house foggers are definitely out.
I'd call an exterminator or look for some "green" bug killers at home depot or something. Safer products are all natural and work pretty well. The stuff the pro's use these days is supposed to be safe for pets and kids, but you never know. Then get the pets all stuck with that Frontline stuff to keep them from bringing them inside again. :D
Wow, I was just coming here to ask A²'s question. Mine are of the fruit fly variety - I've looked online and seem some tricks like fruit + wine vinegar in a bowl with perforated saran over it. Anyone here tried anything like that with success?

Post Reply