Insomnia

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33843
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Insomnia

#1 Post by Steel Frog » 25 Oct 2008, 23:40

Image

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40264
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: Insomnia Thread

#2 Post by alan smithee » 26 Oct 2008, 01:14

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33843
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#3 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Oct 2008, 02:37

Still up. ("Steel" up?) Sucks.

User avatar
Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8509
Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Gender: Male
Location: Around

Re: Insomnia Thread

#4 Post by Middle » 26 Oct 2008, 02:42

Steel Frog wrote:Still up. ("Steel" up?) Sucks.
Geez. Go to sleep already!
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33843
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#5 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Oct 2008, 02:59

Middle wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Still up. ("Steel" up?) Sucks.
Geez. Go to sleep already!
Uh, yeah, see, here's the thing... :)

User avatar
AngelTash
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6396
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 15:14
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#6 Post by AngelTash » 26 Oct 2008, 06:55

Steel Frog wrote:Image
*shudders*

No wonder you can't sleep.
All things truly wicked start from innocence.

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34678
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#7 Post by sldawgs » 26 Oct 2008, 08:27

Maybe this will help. Flippers is coming back.
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

enigmafa
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 1477
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 08:01
Gender: Male
Location: Beating my head on a wall.

Re: Insomnia Thread

#8 Post by enigmafa » 26 Oct 2008, 08:48

holy f***balls its all shiny

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34678
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#9 Post by sldawgs » 26 Oct 2008, 10:55

enigmafa wrote:holy f***balls its all shiny
Footballs is a bad word?
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

User avatar
bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
Posts: 12429
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 08:59
Gender: Male

Re: Insomnia Thread

#10 Post by bratzks » 26 Oct 2008, 10:57

sldawgs wrote:
enigmafa wrote:holy f***balls its all shiny
Footballs is a bad word?
Fartballs.
Image Image Image

User avatar
Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5908
Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Gender: Female
Location: a furry little Don Quixote

Re: Insomnia Thread

#11 Post by Buckykatt » 26 Oct 2008, 11:41

Frog, do I need to send you a pint of whiskey and a handful of valium?
Actually, depending on what form your insomnia is taking, valium really is an effective, low-side-effect and very low cost solution. You know, I'm just sayin'.

User avatar
AngelTash
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6396
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 15:14
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#12 Post by AngelTash » 26 Oct 2008, 11:43

Or if you want to go the more natural route... try melatonin
All things truly wicked start from innocence.

User avatar
bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
Posts: 12429
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 08:59
Gender: Male

Re: Insomnia Thread

#13 Post by bratzks » 26 Oct 2008, 12:34

Buckykatt wrote:Frog, do I need to send you a pint of whiskey and a handful of valium?
Actually, depending on what form your insomnia is taking, valium really is an effective, low-side-effect and very low cost solution. You know, I'm just sayin'.
Might I also suggest La Dolce Vita? I'm just sayin'.
Image Image Image

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33843
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#14 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Oct 2008, 17:03

Buckykatt wrote:Frog, do I need to send you a pint of whiskey and a handful of valium?
Actually, depending on what form your insomnia is taking, valium really is an effective, low-side-effect and very low cost solution. You know, I'm just sayin'.
I'll let you know. ;)

User avatar
Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5908
Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Gender: Female
Location: a furry little Don Quixote

Re: Insomnia Thread

#15 Post by Buckykatt » 26 Oct 2008, 17:52

AngelTash wrote:Or if you want to go the more natural route... try melatonin
Yes, but melatonin did a few years back have that unfortunate side effect of occasionally, um, killing a person or two (heart attack, as I recall?). And as a natural supplement, it's essentially unregulated, whereas My Good Pal Diazepam is highly controlled.

Really, I'm not trying to be a buzzkill. I know plenty of people who use melatonin and it works for them fine, and usually I'm Supplement Girl (as Mr. Bucky will be happy to attest, as he routinely makes fun of me every morning as I swallow down roughly 20 pills of various sorts) but melatonin still makes me nervous. I should do more current research.

On the up side, one of the common side effects is very vivid, wild dreams, so SF, you might start getting some action without having to play away games. :D

User avatar
Lobelia Overhill
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 411
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 16:56
Gender: Female
Location: Atlantis, Pegasus Galaxy
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#16 Post by Lobelia Overhill » 27 Oct 2008, 04:01

OK, here's the deal, if you can't get to sleep, stay in bed, lay down, close your eyes (you may find it helpful to have a night light since being awake in pitch dark can be a bit oppressive). Think about something - personally I like to pretend I'm Wonder Woman fighting for your rights in my satin tights.

Don't get out of bed, don't start reading, watching TV, listening to music, or whatever. Just stay in bed with your eyes shut until it's time to get up.

I had insomnia for years and this always worked for me, I was able to function within normal parameters at work and everything!
"Did I not just use the word 'puzzling'?"

Image

Image Image Image

User avatar
Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5035
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 01:54
Gender: Male
Location: a gin joint

Re: Insomnia Thread

#17 Post by Humphrey » 27 Oct 2008, 04:42

Lobelia Overhill wrote:OK, here's the deal, if you can't get to sleep, stay in bed, lay down, close your eyes (you may find it helpful to have a night light since being awake in pitch dark can be a bit oppressive). Think about something - personally I like to pretend I'm Wonder Woman fighting for your rights in my satin tights.

Don't get out of bed, don't start reading, watching TV, listening to music, or whatever. Just stay in bed with your eyes shut until it's time to get up.

I had insomnia for years and this always worked for me, I was able to function within normal parameters at work and everything!
I can confirm that. If I can't sleep, I just pretend to. Sometimes, I pretend so well, I actually fall asleep. (I haven't tried the Wonder Woman thing yet, but satin tights sound like a good idea!)
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

User avatar
You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8963
Joined: 14 Mar 2005, 12:38
Gender: Male
Location: Westchester, NY

Re: Insomnia Thread

#18 Post by You Know, for Kids » 27 Oct 2008, 06:09

Humphrey wrote:
Lobelia Overhill wrote:OK, here's the deal, if you can't get to sleep, stay in bed, lay down, close your eyes (you may find it helpful to have a night light since being awake in pitch dark can be a bit oppressive). Think about something - personally I like to pretend I'm Wonder Woman fighting for your rights in my satin tights.

Don't get out of bed, don't start reading, watching TV, listening to music, or whatever. Just stay in bed with your eyes shut until it's time to get up.

I had insomnia for years and this always worked for me, I was able to function within normal parameters at work and everything!
I can confirm that. If I can't sleep, I just pretend to. Sometimes, I pretend so well, I actually fall asleep. (I haven't tried the Wonder Woman thing yet, but satin tights sound like a good idea!)
This worked for me in younger years, less so lately. Back then I was the leader of the KISS army fighting representatives of lesser bands.

What works better for me now is a sort of mediatation... I visualize the stress in my body as being the color red, then I force myself to slowly turn all the stresses to blue. It sounds odd, but it can work.

So can Ambien.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: Insomnia Thread

#19 Post by Nunis » 27 Oct 2008, 06:49

I suffered from horrible insomnia when I was in college. There were only three things that worked, and they only worked sometimes: a glass of warm milk, furious exercise a few hours before bed, or an orgasm. Seriously, try that last one.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 51133
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: Insomnia Thread

#20 Post by knarf » 27 Oct 2008, 07:55

AngelTash wrote:Or if you want to go the more natural route... try melatonin
:green: Worked great for me.
Image

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Insomnia Thread

#21 Post by Philip » 27 Oct 2008, 09:31

AngelTash wrote:Or if you want to go the more natural route... try melatonin
I use a natural remedy too. Not only does it help me sleep with no side effects (unlike the Sonata, Lunesta and Ambien that doctors have prescribed) but it also deadens the pain when my back flares up better than Vicodin and Percocet. Unfortunately, it's illegal.

User avatar
AngelTash
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6396
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 15:14
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Insomnia Thread

#22 Post by AngelTash » 27 Oct 2008, 09:55

Philip wrote:
AngelTash wrote:Or if you want to go the more natural route... try melatonin
I use a natural remedy too. Not only does it help me sleep with no side effects (unlike the Sonata, Lunesta and Ambien that doctors have prescribed) but it also deadens the pain when my back flares up better than Vicodin and Percocet. Unfortunately, it's illegal.
and does it make you hungry?
All things truly wicked start from innocence.

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Insomnia Thread

#23 Post by Philip » 27 Oct 2008, 10:10

AngelTash wrote:
Philip wrote:
AngelTash wrote:Or if you want to go the more natural route... try melatonin
I use a natural remedy too. Not only does it help me sleep with no side effects (unlike the Sonata, Lunesta and Ambien that doctors have prescribed) but it also deadens the pain when my back flares up better than Vicodin and Percocet. Unfortunately, it's illegal.
and does it make you hungry?
Yeah, but the meth takes the edge off that.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13715
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

Re: Insomnia Thread

#24 Post by Odd Todd » 27 Oct 2008, 19:48

Humphrey wrote:
Lobelia Overhill wrote:OK, here's the deal, if you can't get to sleep, stay in bed, lay down, close your eyes (you may find it helpful to have a night light since being awake in pitch dark can be a bit oppressive). Think about something - personally I like to pretend I'm Wonder Woman fighting for your rights in my satin tights.

Don't get out of bed, don't start reading, watching TV, listening to music, or whatever. Just stay in bed with your eyes shut until it's time to get up.

I had insomnia for years and this always worked for me, I was able to function within normal parameters at work and everything!
I can confirm that. If I can't sleep, I just pretend to. Sometimes, I pretend so well, I actually fall asleep. (I haven't tried the Wonder Woman thing yet, but satin tights sound like a good idea!)
God... no wonders I can't sleep. I've been doing it all wrong apprently. I've been thinking of SF fighting for my rights in satin tights.
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13715
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

Re: Insomnia Thread

#25 Post by Odd Todd » 27 Oct 2008, 20:37

And furthurmore....

Now I lay me down not to sleep
I just get tangled in the sheets
I swim in sweat three inches deep
I just lay back and claim defeat

Chapter read and lesson learned
I turned the lights off while she burned
So while she's three hundred degrees
I throw the sheets off and I freeze

Lids down, I count sheep
I count heartbeats
The only thing that counts is
That I won't sleep
I countdown, I look around

<Chorus>
Who needs sleep?
Well you're never gonna get it
Who needs sleep?
Tell me what's that for
Who needs sleep?
Be happy with what you're getting
There's a guy who's been awake
Since the Second World War

My hands are locked up tight in fists
My mind is racing, filled with lists
Of things to do and things I've done
Another sleepless night's begun

Lids down, I count sheep
I count heartbeats
The only thing that counts is
That I won't sleep
I countdown, I look around

<Chorus>

<Chorus>

There's so much joy in life,
So many pleasures all around
But the pleasure of insomnia
Is one I've never found
With all life has to offer,
There's so much to be enjoyed
But the pleasures of insomnia
Are ones I can't avoid

Lids down, I count sheep
I count heartbeats
The only thing that counts is
That I won't sleep
I countdown, I look around

Hala Hala Hala

<Chorus>
[Repeat]
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Post Reply