Bored Board

If there's a useless thread in here, chances are excellent that JJ created it.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

Bored Board

#1 Post by Gren » 30 Dec 2002, 15:22

Ever here on your own really bored? I am right now, i could be doing something else but i can't be bothered. I'm just bored. For when you're as bored as me come here and moan.
Last edited by Gren on 01 Jan 2003, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

User avatar
Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie
Posts: 21745
Joined: 13 Nov 2002, 20:49
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

Re: Bored Sign-up

#2 Post by Sheila1313 » 30 Dec 2002, 16:20

Gren wrote:Ever here on your own really bored? I am right now, i could be doing something else but i can't be bothered. I'm just bored. For when you're as bored as me come here and moan.


I'm bored now and the boards are dead! JP needs to get some screen shots together for another game before he FORCES me to make up one of my own (horror-themed, of course)! :D

Just a thought...misery loves company, Gren!
ImageImageImage

We have such sights to show you!

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#3 Post by Gren » 30 Dec 2002, 16:32

New game active, Last Scene, probably my last one for a while, unless somebody wants to donate me some more DVDs!
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

User avatar
Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie
Posts: 21745
Joined: 13 Nov 2002, 20:49
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

#4 Post by Sheila1313 » 30 Dec 2002, 16:35

Cool...Gren to the rescue! :)
Although I have NO IDEA what the hell the first shot is from, I'm glad to see a new game up here!
ImageImageImage

We have such sights to show you!

T
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4877
Joined: 23 Nov 2002, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Parapets of Angband

#5 Post by T » 30 Dec 2002, 19:30

A place for insomniacs to post the "what-if.." stuff that pops into their heads after a few days without sleep. This could be interesting.

T

When'd I make lead actor-ess?

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#6 Post by London Redsox » 31 Dec 2002, 02:01

The worst (for me) is being UK based and therefore being out of sync timewise with all the US posters. I come on here in the mornings, realise I can't get the answers to any of the games, and am then stuck because there is no-one else to get it for me and post another one. Drat! :x
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

Junior
Paparazzi
Paparazzi
Posts: 23
Joined: 20 Nov 2002, 05:47

#7 Post by Junior » 31 Dec 2002, 02:32

London Redsox wrote:The worst (for me) is being UK based and therefore being out of sync timewise with all the US posters. I come on here in the mornings, realise I can't get the answers to any of the games, and am then stuck because there is no-one else to get it for me and post another one. Drat! :x


I geratly sympathise with this.

I come on forums when i'm bored at work and i am extremely bored right now.

It sucks having to wait 24 hours to see if anyone answers your messages.

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#8 Post by Gren » 31 Dec 2002, 07:55

During the day i normally suffer from timezone problems but now there's loads of people signed in and no-one's posting.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

#9 Post by Philip » 31 Dec 2002, 17:12

T me J wrote:A place for insomniacs to post the "what-if.." stuff that pops into their heads after a few days without sleep. This could be interesting.


I better be careful then. I tend to dwell on such things using my spare brain cycles (of which there are many). One time (Happy Hour at 'The Pig and Whistle', this buddy of mine tells me that because the planet Saturn is porous (or something else science-y), it would float in a bowl of water. Bothered me for days. Or there's that puzzle where if you took a length of rope and wrapped it once around the equator, you'd only need to splice in about 6 ( 2 x pi) feet of additional rope to raise the entire rope by 1 foot off the ground. Drove me nuts, it did. One of these days, I gonna put that to the test.

User avatar
JP
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6122
Joined: 14 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: DFW
Contact:

#10 Post by JP » 31 Dec 2002, 17:22

Buffoon1918 wrote:Or there's that puzzle where if you took a length of rope and wrapped it once around the equator, you'd only need to splice in about 6 ( 2 x pi) feet of additional rope to raise the entire rope by 1 foot off the ground. Drove me nuts, it did. One of these days, I gonna put that to the test.


Diameter of earth = x
Rope around equator = x*pi

Diameter of earth + 1 foot off ground = x+2' ((radius of earth + 1')*2)
Rope 1' of ground around equator = (x+2')*pi = x*pi + 2'*pi = rope around equator + 2'*pi

Therefore, the increase is only 2'*pi, or approximately 6.283'

User avatar
Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie
Posts: 21745
Joined: 13 Nov 2002, 20:49
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

#11 Post by Sheila1313 » 31 Dec 2002, 17:50

JeremyPeacock wrote:
Buffoon1918 wrote:Or there's that puzzle where if you took a length of rope and wrapped it once around the equator, you'd only need to splice in about 6 ( 2 x pi) feet of additional rope to raise the entire rope by 1 foot off the ground. Drove me nuts, it did. One of these days, I gonna put that to the test.


Diameter of earth = x
Rope around equator = x*pi

Diameter of earth + 1 foot off ground = x+2' ((radius of earth + 1')*2)
Rope 1' of ground around equator = (x+2')*pi = x*pi + 2'*pi = rope around equator + 2'*pi

Therefore, the increase is only 2'*pi, or approximately 6.283'


You had to ask, didn't you? :D
ImageImageImage

We have such sights to show you!

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

#12 Post by Philip » 31 Dec 2002, 17:55

SheilaP1313 wrote:
JeremyPeacock wrote:
Buffoon1918 wrote:Or there's that puzzle where if you took a length of rope and wrapped it once around the equator, you'd only need to splice in about 6 ( 2 x pi) feet of additional rope to raise the entire rope by 1 foot off the ground. Drove me nuts, it did. One of these days, I gonna put that to the test.


Diameter of earth = x
Rope around equator = x*pi

Diameter of earth + 1 foot off ground = x+2' ((radius of earth + 1')*2)
Rope 1' of ground around equator = (x+2')*pi = x*pi + 2'*pi = rope around equator + 2'*pi

Therefore, the increase is only 2'*pi, or approximately 6.283'


You had to ask, didn't you? :D


:oops:

It's not that I don't understand the math(s). It just doesn't feel right. That you need exactly the same amount of spliced-in rope to achieve this on the earth as you do on, say, a basketball? I won't be happy until I actually see it done. I'm getting close. All I need is about 26,000' of rope and a few million volunteers... few ships wouldn't hurt, either.

T
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4877
Joined: 23 Nov 2002, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Parapets of Angband

#13 Post by T » 31 Dec 2002, 20:32

Buffoon1918 wrote:this buddy of mine tells me that because the planet Saturn is porous (or something else science-y), it would float in a bowl of water. Bothered me for days.


I'm thinking the bowl of water would just sink into Saturn. I knew there was a reason I left only the Tolkien and Physics books unpacked to remain on shelves until the day of the move. (find that apartment for me yet?)

Why is it that the one night I have plans to stay up watching movies is the one night I start feeling tired like a regular person? Actually, less than regular, since I haven't even made it through the news yet and its 3 hours of mandatory GB Packers filler. :x Someone just opened a soda. I think that's my cue to join them... with my "artificially flavored chocolate milk drink + scoop of vanilla soy ice cream" (I hope I got Sheila back for that avatar).. though I'm still curious. What WOULD I look like if my head exploded? I think I'd like to be cremated when I die just so people can't look at me when I'm dead and have no control over how I look, or how I look back at them. I hope they don't put me in an ugly vase.

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

#14 Post by Philip » 01 Jan 2003, 01:02

T me J wrote:What WOULD I look like if my head exploded?


Chicken... Viking... Slim Pickens...

T me J wrote:I think I'd like to be cremated when I die just so people can't look at me when I'm dead and have no control over how I look, or how I look back at them. I hope they don't put me in an ugly vase.


I'd like to have animatronics rigged up inside my corpse. Then, during the open casket wake, I could scare the bejeesus out of folks, waving my feet and making odd gestures with my hands. Then, for the grand finale, with the help of a little C4, I'd have my head explode.

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

#15 Post by Philip » 01 Jan 2003, 01:04

Oooh, and if someone happens to be filming the messy end, there's the chance I could live on in avatar form...

AMCamerican
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 305
Joined: 25 Nov 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: Texas

#16 Post by AMCamerican » 01 Jan 2003, 01:42

Ok I'm pretty bored right now. Its about 3:30 AM here and I'm doing nothing but jumping back forth here at filmwise and yahoo graffiti while playing the same movie over and over again in the corner of my screen.

So what did you guys finally end up doing tonight?

I went to my friend's party and played DDR :D (Dance Dance Revolution...yeah I know Im wierd) and now I'm debating whether or not I should stay up all night and try to stay awake untill tomorrow in effect tiring myself into a normal sleeping pattern.

Oh and my avatar broke. Again! I went to the site and of course every pic is up and running but the one I happen to be using. So I switched to this drawing of jennifer garner.
Vaughn-You talk in your sleep.
Sydney-No! What did I say?
Vaughn-"Don't frost the pie!" It seemed really important. (Salvation)

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

#17 Post by Philip » 01 Jan 2003, 01:59

AMCamerican wrote:So what did you guys finally end up doing tonight?


I had three choices: go to a friend's house for drinks, snacks and 'Hungry Hungry Hippos', go into downtown L.A for some massive rave-type event, or stay home and watch movies. For a while, I was leaning towards the L.A thing, then I heard horror stories about last year's event: people waiting in line from 8pm til 1am(!) to get in and still getting denied. Plus, I can't stand rave/trance music, I don't do E, and I'm far too old for that scene now, anyway. So I went over to a friend's house... not much of a party to be honest. I stuck it out until 2003 rolled around, then beat a hasty retreat around 12:30. It's nearly 2am now... probably going to stay up for a while - I just put "Romeo+Juliet" in the DVD player and there's half a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and a freezer full of ice.

I love DDR!!! The first time I saw it in an amusement arcade, I thought "how lame is that?" Then one night, I was a little bit tipsy and a co-worker persuaded me to give it a try. I was hooked from the get-go, so much so that I'd drag her back to the place at lunch-time so we could play. It's far more fun when there are two people playing.

AMCamerican
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 305
Joined: 25 Nov 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: Texas

#18 Post by AMCamerican » 01 Jan 2003, 02:20

Buffoon1918 wrote:I love DDR!!! The first time I saw it in an amusement arcade, I thought "how lame is that?" Then one night, I was a little bit tipsy and a co-worker persuaded me to give it a try. I was hooked from the get-go, so much so that I'd drag her back to the place at lunch-time so we could play. It's far more fun when there are two people playing.


Thats Awesome! I thought I was going to be alone on forum. I used to play it all the time at the mall and then my friend got it for christmas for their ps2 and I am completly HOOKED. Tonight I played nearly nonstop. And even when I wasnt even on the pad I would do the motions on the side and practice just like all those fanatics I used to see at the mall. And for those of you that might just have played DDR Max I would like to brag that I have cleared "Rythm and Police" 3 TIMES! (on light mode of course but still of note)

And for those of you that have no idea what I'm talking and don't mind getting alittle embarrassed as we all do the first time we play, click here to find a DDR machine near you http://www.ddrfreak.com/locations/locations.php. And for a good deal if you want to buy the game click here http://www.buynshop.com/browse/0502
Vaughn-You talk in your sleep.
Sydney-No! What did I say?
Vaughn-"Don't frost the pie!" It seemed really important. (Salvation)

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#19 Post by London Redsox » 01 Jan 2003, 02:32

Can I get to 60 posts (Key Grip) status by the end of the day...?

Not unless someone joins me in the forums.

Does no-one else work on New Years' Day?
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

AMCamerican
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 305
Joined: 25 Nov 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: Texas

#20 Post by AMCamerican » 01 Jan 2003, 02:37

Hey London, I'll help you get to Key Grip besides I've been wanting to ask you about your signature. Any chance "Get Me Vaughan" is from your favorite epsisode of Alias?
Vaughn-You talk in your sleep.
Sydney-No! What did I say?
Vaughn-"Don't frost the pie!" It seemed really important. (Salvation)

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#21 Post by London Redsox » 01 Jan 2003, 02:43

Thanks ANC, nearly there..


In celebration of my avatar, my new quote is from Major League, when Charlie Sheen gets called in from the bullpen 8)
Last edited by London Redsox on 01 Jan 2003, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

AMCamerican
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 305
Joined: 25 Nov 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: Texas

#22 Post by AMCamerican » 01 Jan 2003, 02:50

Oh yeah that makes alot more sense.

And now for a question perfect for the bored forum:
What actor has impressed/surprised you recently?

for me its Lauren Ambrose. She just seems to have this awesome control of all those little things that you can't teach.
Vaughn-You talk in your sleep.
Sydney-No! What did I say?
Vaughn-"Don't frost the pie!" It seemed really important. (Salvation)

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#23 Post by London Redsox » 01 Jan 2003, 02:53

I gotta come clean and say that I have seen very few films recently, so my choice is very limited.

I've been very lax in going to the cinema for various reasons.

If I think of one I'll post it
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#24 Post by London Redsox » 01 Jan 2003, 03:00

Apologies - but a gratuitous post just to hit 60

KEY GRIP, BABY!

(Think I'm some way behind tho really :o)
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

AMCamerican
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 305
Joined: 25 Nov 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: Texas

#25 Post by AMCamerican » 01 Jan 2003, 03:11

London Redsox wrote:Apologies - but a gratuitous post just to hit 60

KEY GRIP, BABY!

(Think I'm some way behind tho really :o)


Congrats! It seems to me like your doing a pretty good job posting if youre always online at these dead hours of night.
Vaughn-You talk in your sleep.
Sydney-No! What did I say?
Vaughn-"Don't frost the pie!" It seemed really important. (Salvation)

Post Reply