FilmWise Forums
It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 02:13

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 14:31 
Producer
Producer

I know we have some time until this movie comes out (May 2010), but I am just so excited about it, so I wanted to start a new topic! I saw the poster for the movie and can I say, Jake is looking fabulous as Prince Dastan. I also loved the posters of Ben Kingsley and Gemma Arterton. I can’t wait to hear more and more about the film as we inch closer to its release date! Ahhh, anticipation is rising!! Check out the website, they keep updating it with new images.

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-stills/gallery/1926/prince-of-persia-the-sands-of-time-stills#photo5
http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/princeofpersia/index2.html

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 14:42 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

My Muslim friend has a real problem with the casting of a Jew as a Persian. Who'd have thought it.

And no, it looks like a Bruckheimer shitfest. I'll probably still watch it anyway.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 15:34 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Gemma Arterton couldn't act well if her life depended on it.

I'll probably go see it as well. Loved playing the game on my cousin's Amiga waaaaaaay back in the day.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 17:38 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

F.N.G. wrote:
My Muslim friend has a real problem with the casting of a Jew as a Persian. Who'd have thought it.

And no, it looks like a Bruckheimer shitfest. I'll probably still watch it anyway.

That's funny, my friend Mr. Fluffypants has a real problem with casting a human as a Persian.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 17:40 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

F.N.G. wrote:

Good point, FNG.
Not a great casting call there.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 18:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'm no Smithee but wouldn't a post like this go in Movie News, and Jake Gyllenhaal as a action star, really? Some good movies with about Persians are 300 or like Syriana.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 18:48 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Golshen Garden, Iran

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 20:02 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

enigmafa wrote:
wouldn't a post like this go in Movie News

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Having a problem casting Jake Gyllenhaal as a Persian (or in Prince of Persia) for other reasons may make sense, but why are Gyllenhaal's religious beliefs relevant to casting him as a Persian?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 23:58 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

I know Prince Charles advocates it, but must we continue to talk to plants?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 00:32 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Having a problem casting Jake Gyllenhaal as a Persian (or in Prince of Persia) for other reasons may make sense, but why are Gyllenhaal's religious beliefs relevant to casting him as a Persian?

Because (and I don't know the full historical facts here, so feel free to correct me) aren't Persians Muslims? And Muslims aren't particularly fond of Jews (killed their messiah, yaddah yaddah).

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 00:33 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

sldawgs wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:

That's funny, my friend Mr. Fluffypants has a real problem with casting a human as a Persian.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 02:04 

F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Because (and I don't know the full historical facts here, so feel free to correct me) aren't Persians Muslims?

Not all of them. (e.g.)

(Similarly, I wouldn't understand concern with an actor who is a son of a Jew and Catholic (both of whom spent the better part of a decade in the Children of God cult) portraying a (at-times) Christian. Of course, Johnny Cash being played by a Puerto Rican rapper is for another discussion.)

Though that's not what I was trying to get at in my poorly worded previous post.

Here's part of a poorly constructed analogy: I'm 6'1" and probably shouldn't be playing a 5'2" (or 7'2") character on screen. However, I like pizza, but I bet (were I actually a respectable actor) that I could play a character that hates pizza.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 02:17 

alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Because (and I don't know the full historical facts here, so feel free to correct me) aren't Persians Muslims?

Not all of them. (e.g.)

(Similarly, I wouldn't understand concern with an actor who is a son of a Jew and Catholic (both of whom spent the better part of a decade in the Children of God cult) portraying a (at-times) Christian. Of course, Johnny Cash being played by a Puerto Rican rapper is for another discussion.)

Though that's not what I was trying to get at in my poorly worded previous post.

Here's part of a poorly constructed analogy: I'm 6'1" and probably shouldn't be playing a 5'2" (or 7'2") character on screen. However, I like pizza, but I bet (were I actually a respectable actor) that I could play a character that hates pizza.

Bullshit. Everyone loves pizza. It's like sex: when it's good, it's good; when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 07:17 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

Bullshit. Everyone loves pizza. It's like sex: when it's good, it's good; when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

But when it's bad and you gain that extra weight from it, you wonder if it was really worth it.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 08:20 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

I'm not saying that Gyllenhaal can't act "Persian" (if indeed there is a way to do this), or would let his beliefs (if, indeed he practices) get in the way; I was merely pointing out that my Muslim friend (and therefore possible many more Muslims) felt it was insulting to have somebody who is historically "the enemy" portraying someone of his religion.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 11:17 

Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

perhaps I should've written "genius" instead of only "respectable"
F.N.G. wrote:
my Muslim friend (and therefore possible many more Muslims) felt it was insulting to have somebody who is historically "the enemy" portraying someone of his religion.

The title character in the Prince of Persia games (and movie) is Muslim?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 13:00 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

F.N.G. wrote:
my Muslim friend (and therefore possible many more Muslims) felt it was insulting to have somebody who is historically "the enemy" portraying someone of his religion.

I have no idea, but it would make sense. Sultan is an Islamic word, and he is the son (in law) of the Sultan.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 13:12 

F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

F.N.G. wrote:

I have no idea, but it would make sense. Sultan is an Islamic word, and he is the son (in law) of the Sultan.

Isn't the prince an outsider who saves the Sultan's daughter and receives her hand (begrudgingly from the Sultan) as reward for saving her? Assuming the Sultan is Muslim (as you note, "sultan" is an Islamic honorific, so it seems likely), isn't it almost more sensible to have the prince character be Jewish and not Muslim? (Nonetheless, I'm still not sure how Gyllenhaal's religious beliefs are relevant.)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 00:19 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

F.N.G. wrote:

Isn't the prince an outsider who saves the Sultan's daughter and receives her hand (begrudgingly from the Sultan) as reward for saving her? Assuming the Sultan is Muslim (as you note, "sultan" is an Islamic honorific, so it seems likely), isn't it almost more sensible to have the prince character be Jewish and not Muslim? (Nonetheless, I'm still not sure how Gyllenhaal's religious beliefs are relevant.)

I don't know the game well enough, and I'm not even sure if this has been thought of for the character. Fair enough, you can't see why JG's beliefs are relevant, I'm getting fed up with the argument in general, as an atheist I couldn't give a damn about JG's beliefs, however my friend can see, so I would assume others can too. I do believe it is an example of Hollywood "whitewashing" the world, however at the same time, it's all about the money, and I can't think of any "Persian" actors who would be a box office draw.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 01:12 

F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

F.N.G. wrote:

I don't know the game well enough, and I'm not even sure if this has been thought of for the character. Fair enough, you can't see why JG's beliefs are relevant, I'm getting fed up with the argument in general, as an atheist I couldn't give a damn about JG's beliefs, however my friend can see, so I would assume others can too. I do believe it is an example of Hollywood "whitewashing" the world, however at the same time, it's all about the money, and I can't think of any "Persian" actors who would be a box office draw.

How about Jonathon Ahdout. His parents are both Iranian.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 01:13 

Oh, wait. Never mind. They're also both Jewish.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 03:46 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

I said "box office draw".

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 03:57 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

It would be like a southern born actor playing the role of a Union hero in a Civil War movie...oh wait.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 05:07 

Or a damn Yankee actor playing the hero of the Confederacy in the same Civil War movie...oh wait.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 05:20 

Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:

seems sensible
F.N.G. wrote:

Not all of them. (e.g.)

Clearly, you've never been to Shakey's.