FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 16:00

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kevin Smith's Red State
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 20:53 
Offline
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Posts: 18751
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Red State (2011)

Image

Writer/Director: Kevin Smith

Starring: Michael Parks, John Goodman, Melissa Leo, Stephen Root

Plot: A horror film in which a group of misfits encounter fundamentalism gone to the extreme in Middle America.


Cop Out was definitely a disappointment, but I still have been listening to a lot of the podcasts on the Smodcast Network, and for the past two weeks there has been a new podcast called Red State of the Union, where Kevin Smith has been releasing teaser trailers and short clips from his upcoming horror film... Listening to a teaser trailer (can't find anything online) and a scene isn't all that great, but hearing him talk about the film along with some of the audience reactions has me sort of excited for this film...

_________________
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010, 06:39 
Offline
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Posts: 13408
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

_________________
Bad dates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010, 08:54 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 29085
Location: Gotham's seedier side
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010, 09:25 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
I can't enjoy a Kevin Smith after reading his book My boring Ass Life.. the guy really is a tool... which is a shame as Clerks/Mallrats/Chasing Amy were all very cool for me

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010, 13:30 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38385
Location: San Francisco
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010, 13:31 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
You're not a chocolate pretzel fan then

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 09:35 
Offline
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Posts: 13408
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

_________________
Bad dates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 12:14 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38385
Location: San Francisco
snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

I contend that:
  • you are me
  • I (and, thus, you) watched Mallrats more recently than Chasing Amy (thus "after," even if you clearly intended "after" in terms of original release date)
  • Mallrats is enjoyable

QED

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 15:41 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Posts: 10002
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

Meh. Clerks for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 15:43 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Posts: 10002
alan smithee wrote:
snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

I contend that:
  • you are me
  • I (and, thus, you) watched Mallrats more recently than Chasing Amy (thus "after," even if you clearly intended "after" in terms of original release date)
  • Mallrats is enjoyable

QED

Bet those science chicks really dig that large cranium of yours, huh?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 15:56 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38385
Location: San Francisco
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

I contend that:
  • you are me
  • I (and, thus, you) watched Mallrats more recently than Chasing Amy (thus "after," even if you clearly intended "after" in terms of original release date)
  • Mallrats is enjoyable

QED

Bet those science chicks really dig that large cranium of yours, huh?

God help me for quoting this movie but ...
I think they're more interested in my epididymis.

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 22:59 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Posts: 10002
alan smithee wrote:
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

I contend that:
  • you are me
  • I (and, thus, you) watched Mallrats more recently than Chasing Amy (thus "after," even if you clearly intended "after" in terms of original release date)
  • Mallrats is enjoyable

QED

Bet those science chicks really dig that large cranium of yours, huh?

God help me for quoting this movie but ...
I think they're more interested in my epididymis.

It's exactly that kind of negative attitude that let in Vigo in the first place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 00:00 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38385
Location: San Francisco
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

I contend that:
  • you are me
  • I (and, thus, you) watched Mallrats more recently than Chasing Amy (thus "after," even if you clearly intended "after" in terms of original release date)
  • Mallrats is enjoyable

QED

Bet those science chicks really dig that large cranium of yours, huh?

God help me for quoting this movie but ...
I think they're more interested in my epididymis.

It's exactly that kind of negative attitude that let in Vigo in the first place.

well played

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 13:14 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Posts: 10002
alan smithee wrote:
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

I contend that:
  • you are me
  • I (and, thus, you) watched Mallrats more recently than Chasing Amy (thus "after," even if you clearly intended "after" in terms of original release date)
  • Mallrats is enjoyable

QED

Bet those science chicks really dig that large cranium of yours, huh?

God help me for quoting this movie but ...
I think they're more interested in my epididymis.

It's exactly that kind of negative attitude that let in Vigo in the first place.

well played

thanks.

As bad as that movie is, there are a few decent quotes. I've used "you're not sleeping with it are you Ray?" a lot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 16:18 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38385
Location: San Francisco
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Philip wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
snotball wrote:
Meh. I don't remember enjoying a Kevin Smith movie much after Chasing Amy.

:green:

:red:

I rewatched Mallrats not that long ago.

how does that negates what I've said? Mallrats wasn't a great movie, but still, Chasing Amy came after it and as I've said, I don't remember enjoying any of his later movies.

I contend that:
  • you are me
  • I (and, thus, you) watched Mallrats more recently than Chasing Amy (thus "after," even if you clearly intended "after" in terms of original release date)
  • Mallrats is enjoyable

QED

Bet those science chicks really dig that large cranium of yours, huh?

God help me for quoting this movie but ...
I think they're more interested in my epididymis.

It's exactly that kind of negative attitude that let in Vigo in the first place.

well played

thanks.

As bad as that movie is, there are a few decent quotes. I've used "you're not sleeping with it are you Ray?" a lot.

I know of at least one other FilmWiser who both acknowledges the terribletude of this movie and who frequently quotes from it.

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 18:15 
Offline
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Posts: 18751
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Teaser Trailer has been released and it really looks nothing like a Kevin Smith film...

Then again, Cop Out didn't really look like a Kevin Smith film either :s

_________________
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 08:24 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 15:14
Posts: 6393
Agrajag wrote:
Then again, Cop Out didn't really look like a Kevin Smith film either :s


Can you classify Cop Out as a Kevin Smith film? He directed it, sure, but he didn't write it.

Here is a review of Red State found at Ain't It Cool News.

_________________
All things truly wicked start from innocence.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 09:29 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 29085
Location: Gotham's seedier side
Daily Fail reporter wrote:

Really, Kevin? The only reason that Cop Out failed was because Willis didn't do enough promo for it?

Personally, I think if he must feel a huge amount of hurt just knowing that it's his highest grossing picture to date.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 12:04 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 32925
Batman wrote:
Personally, I think if he must feel a huge amount of hurt just knowing that it's his highest grossing picture to date.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. "But ... I've made good films ..."

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 13:01 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 10:44
Posts: 2694
Location: At work playing poker
Steel Frog wrote:
Batman wrote:
Personally, I think if he must feel a huge amount of hurt just knowing that it's his highest grossing picture to date.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. "But ... I've made good films ..."


:(

_________________
If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 01:51 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Kevin Smith, used to like the guy, now couldnt care less. Never saw op Out. We all know no matter what happens to any film it won't be his fault, and he can bring out another hilarious book where he slags people off and talks about his 'lovely' wife and how he saved Jason Mewes. Guys lost the plot

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 02:50 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8374
Location: Around
dawson99 wrote:
Kevin Smith, used to like the guy, now couldnt care less. Never saw op Out. We all know no matter what happens to any film it won't be his fault, and he can bring out another hilarious book where he slags people off and talks about his 'lovely' wife and how he saved Jason Mewes. Guys lost the plot

Tried to listen to the Smodcast a few times, but it sounded like a couple of lazy fucks talking about nerdy stuff. I was quite bored, to be frank.

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 08:12 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 15:14
Posts: 6393
I watched Red State last night (VOD), and I didn't hate it. With the exception of talking about getting laid and a little potty humor, it didn't feel like a Kevin Smith film to me at all. They had some great people in the cast. Michael Parks was definitely a standout, as was Melissa Leo and John Goodman. It didn't end like I thought it would, and it was creepy to think there are actually people like them out there.

_________________
All things truly wicked start from innocence.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group