Before Sunset

Info on upcoming movies -- links to trailers, gossip and buzz -- can all be found here.
Sugarpuss O'Shea
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Before Sunset

#1 Post by Sugarpuss O'Shea » 06 Mar 2004, 15:05

Before Sunset

Directed by: Richard Linklater

Writing credits: Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, Richard Linklater

Cast
Ethan Hawke .... Jesse
Julie Delpy .... Celine

It's a sequel to Before Sunrise. Here's the plot outline from IMDb: "It's nine years after Jesse and Celine first met; now, they encounter one another on the French leg of Jesse's book tour."

I saw Before Sunrise in the theater (some of my friends were a bit obsessed with Julie Delpy after White and Killing Zoe) and I kind of liked how it ended. I never expected a sequel. From what I've read about it here, this could be interesting.
You see, Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you probably think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

cheffychic
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#2 Post by cheffychic » 06 Mar 2004, 16:14

Hmmmm...that almost confused me because I was thinking it was a remake to Before Sunrise. But, then I read the title correctly. Didn't the first one sort of slip in and out of theaters? Anyway, I kind of like Hawke, so maybe this will be worth it.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#3 Post by F.N.G. » 07 Mar 2004, 02:24

I liked the ambiguity of BS's ending. I'm not sure it needs a sequel.

Sugarpuss O'Shea
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4 Post by Sugarpuss O'Shea » 07 Mar 2004, 12:39

F.N.G. wrote:I liked the ambiguity of BS's ending. I'm not sure it needs a sequel.
That's what I was thinking when I first saw that they're making a sequel, but then I read in the article that I linked above that Before Sunset is mainly dialogue-driven and is shown pretty much in real time. So, I think it'll be interesting to see if they can make that work.
You see, Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you probably think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

marla
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#5 Post by marla » 08 Mar 2004, 09:31

I was happy to see this in Berlin and it was just beautiful. Soooo great, you are there with the two characters immediately, they feel just right, as if you weren't watching a movie at all, but as if you were walking with them. And it has the best ending ever (for this kind of movie).
I also like to add, that the audience freaked after the movie ended (in a very positive way). They (me too) cheered like crazy. Linklater, Hawke and Delpy were there and they got one of the best applauses of all the 24 movies I've seen at the Berlinale. So if you like these kind of movies and if you loved Before Sunrise, go and watch Before Sunset!!!

Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#6 Post by Brodieman » 03 May 2004, 18:01

The trailer can be seen here: http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/ ... -page.html

I think it looks good.

line
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

#7 Post by line » 02 Jul 2004, 18:55

I'm really excited about this one. I never saw the first, but saw an interview with Ethan and Julie and saw a few clips from it... and they looked really good together. I don't know about the story or anything, but I'm sure I'll like the characters. Julie Delpy was just so charming in the short little clip I saw. And I doubt my net connection can handle watching the trailer online. :( Guess I should at least see Sunrise first. I'd always meant to shortly after it came out but eventually forgot about it. :tongue:

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8 Post by Caulfield » 14 Jul 2004, 09:56

F.N.G. wrote:I liked the ambiguity of BS's ending. I'm not sure it needs a sequel.
i totally agree. at first i was frustrated with the end, but i've had in my mind what happened to them about 8 years ago. they can't go and change my delusions now! :wink:

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#9 Post by Caulfield » 14 Jul 2004, 09:58

marla wrote:So if you like these kind of movies and if you loved Before Sunrise, go and watch Before Sunset!!!
i would love to, but apparently living in the middle of the united states means we only watch major summer blockbusters. it's not playing anywhere near here, but by golly spidermans on like 7 screens in each theater.