Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Info on upcoming movies -- links to trailers, gossip and buzz -- can all be found here.
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

#1 Post by Nunis » 01 Oct 2005, 03:14

Well, it's a bit early for this, but rumours have started floating around already. They're searching for an acress to play Luna Lovegood, and according to the Daily Mail, Imelda Staunton has signed on to play Umbridge.

Well, I like it, but we know what happened last year with the Malkovich thing, so treat this as a rumour until WB confirms it.

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#2 Post by Caulfield » 05 Oct 2005, 05:24

All I can think about in terms of casting is that Helena Bonham Carter needs to play Tonks. Is she a bit too old?

Actually, it looks like someone else feels that way too...

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#3 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 05:32

Bonham Carter has been my number one candidate, too. Sure, she might be a couple years too old (she's 39), but I think she can pull it off. Age isn't really everything, and I think with some makeup and pink hair, she'd be perfect.

Also, I do still think they should get Brenda Blethyn to play Umbridge (right, Mazer?). She'd be awesome.

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4 Post by Coco » 05 Oct 2005, 06:22

I think Patricia Routledge would be perfect for the role. She's already played half of Umbridges charcter in Keeping Up Apperences.
What, does he think you're a c**t?

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#5 Post by F.N.G. » 05 Oct 2005, 07:47

I've always imagined Umbridge as looking like
but think Prunella Scales could pull it off

no way can HBC be Tonks - waaaaayyyy too old. Any slightly quirky actress just has to dye her hair and be there, why not Zooey Deshanel? (aside from being American?)

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#6 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 08:05

No way should they get any Americans to play these new roles.

Rumours for Umbridge and Bellatrix are (as we know) Imelda Staunton and Helen McCrory, respectively. I do think they're good choices, but there are so many great British acresses out there. Thinking about only British actresses, here are some suggestions for new female roles:

Tonks*: Emilia Fox (Georgiana in Pride and Prejudice '95), Julia Sawalha (Lydia in Pride and Prejudice '95), Kate Winslet, Samantha Morton
Umbridge: Brenda Blethyn (how great would she be?), Harriet Walter (Fanny in Sense and Sensiblity),
Bellatrix: Natasha Richardson

Or, you know, go with unknowns. That has worked in the past.

*Tonks is hard to cast. We don't know her exact age, but she should be around 30, I think, meaning that the actress can be a bit older than that.

Oh, and by the way, I heard a rumour that Anna Friel wants to play Tonks. I can't imagine why. :roll:

Man, this was hard!

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#7 Post by F.N.G. » 05 Oct 2005, 08:13

I always figured Tonks was in her early 20s, don't know why...

Emilia Fox is an interesting candidate.
Immelda Staunton could do a good job as Umbridge, I don't think Brenda Blethyn could come accross as evil enough.
I don't think I know Helen McCrory...

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#8 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 08:24

McCrory is evil enough, for sure. She played Villefort's wife in the newest Count of Monte Cristo. She was in Charlotte Gray, too, and was the Countess of Castlemaine in the Charles II miniseries from a few years ago. Here's a pic.

As for Blethyn, I am absolutely positive she'd be perfect for it. She was great in the new Pride & Prejudice. She has the look down, too.

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#9 Post by McT » 05 Oct 2005, 08:52

I don't know British actresses well enough, but Umbridge needs to be as short and round as possible.

I pictured Tonks in her mid 20s. I also picture her as very skinny, at least in the face.
Squirrel!

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by Caulfield » 05 Oct 2005, 09:09

What are your thoughts on Narcissa Malfoy?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#11 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 09:13

Joely Richardson, maybe.

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12 Post by Caulfield » 05 Oct 2005, 10:07

Nunis wrote:Joely Richardson, maybe.
Oh, good look, but I think she's American isn't she? I have someone in mind that I imagined from day one, but I can't think of who it is. I may have just invented her.

What about Jennifer Saunders as Umbridge?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#13 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 10:10

No, Richardson is British, even though she has spent a lot of time in America. Her mum is Vanessa Redgrave and her sister is Natascha Richardson (which makes her dad Tony Richardson, her granddad Sir Michael Redgrave and her aunt Lynn Redgrave -- what a family!). Oooh, wouldn't that be cool if Joely and Natascha played Narcissa and Bellatrix! That'd be sweet.

Edit: Oh and Liam Neeson is her brother-in-law. They should get him for something too.
Last edited by Nunis on 05 Oct 2005, 10:13, edited 2 times in total.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#14 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 10:11

Also, having Jennifer Saunders would be kind of cool, but don't know for what. I still can't get over her playing Ron Weasley in the Comic Relief bit. :lol:

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#15 Post by Mazer » 05 Oct 2005, 10:33

Nunis wrote:No way should they get any Americans to play these new roles.

Rumours for Umbridge and Bellatrix are (as we know) Imelda Staunton and Helen McCrory, respectively. I do think they're good choices, but there are so many great British acresses out there. Thinking about only British actresses, here are some suggestions for new female roles:

Tonks*: Emilia Fox (Georgiana in Pride and Prejudice '95), Julia Sawalha (Lydia in Pride and Prejudice '95), Kate Winslet, Samantha Morton
Umbridge: Brenda Blethyn (how great would she be?), Harriet Walter (Fanny in Sense and Sensiblity),
Bellatrix: Natasha Richardson
First of all, yes I'm definitely Co-Chair of the Blethyn for Umbridge Committee. Although, that said, I can see Staunton doing a decent job. Although she might go a little too comic - Umbridge needs to have a strong core of evil.

For Tonks? Like the Emilia Fox suggestion, can see Winslet or Morton in the role. Julia Sawalha looks so much like Helena Bonham-Carter to me (I thought they were related for the longest time), and I think the latter would do it better. But that may only be because I've seen H B-C do range, while I've only seen JS in one role. To go beyond British, I can also see Robin Tunney, although that may just be because of the scene in The Craft where she changes her hair colour. (Not only did it take those hours of my life away permanently, but now it keeps haunting me!)

I actually see Harriet Walter better for Bellatrix than Umbridge. Or, how about Juliet Stevenson? We need to get her in there somewhere.

Oh, and Hugh Laurie. Anyone got a role for him?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#16 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 10:38

So many people, so few roles. Juliet Stevenson would have been good as Trelawney -- not that Emma didn't do a fantastic job.

Yes, we need Laurie. Yates should just invent a new character. :roll:

Tunney might be decent, but wouldn't be my top choice. Also, she's currently in Prison Break.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17 Post by Mazer » 05 Oct 2005, 10:43

Nunis wrote:Tunney might be decent, but wouldn't be my top choice. Also, she's currently in Prison Break.
Well, I'm still holding out the hope that she'll get killed off as she's annoying and incompetent-seeming on the show. But that's unlikely.

Any word on when they expect filming on this to start?

And Nunis, you'd be the person to ask, any word why they keep changing directors? Is it just schedualling?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#18 Post by Nunis » 05 Oct 2005, 10:53

Mazer wrote:Well, I'm still holding out the hope that she'll get killed off as she's annoying and incompetent-seeming on the show. But that's unlikely.
:green:
Mazer wrote:Any word on when they expect filming on this to start?
I think early next year (March?).
Mazer wrote:And Nunis, you'd be the person to ask, any word why they keep changing directors? Is it just schedualling?
Not as far as I know. I think they just want to keep changing it. A bunch of the directors who have been approached and turned it down though, have said it was due to schedulling, but I don't think that's why they change. I remember Cuaron said that it was a wonderful experience, but it's such a huge project to undertake, he couldn't possibly do it again. I think that's the only reason.

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#19 Post by Caulfield » 10 Oct 2005, 07:51

Mazer wrote:I can see Staunton doing a decent job. Although she might go a little too comic - Umbridge needs to have a strong core of evil.

Do you means Saunders here? She played the evil Fairy God-mother in Shrek 2. Although her character was animated, her voice was perfect.
Mazer wrote:Oh, and Hugh Laurie. Anyone got a role for him?
He would be a perfect James Potter if he ever gets a good flashback scene with him as an adult, or comes back around somehow.
Speaking of... who is playing James Potter when he comes out of Voldemorts wand in GOF?

Mr.StayPuft
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#20 Post by Mr.StayPuft » 10 Oct 2005, 07:58

didn't Rowling demand an all-british cast for the movies anyway?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#21 Post by Nunis » 10 Oct 2005, 08:12

Caulfield wrote:
Mazer wrote:Oh, and Hugh Laurie. Anyone got a role for him?
He would be a perfect James Potter if he ever gets a good flashback scene with him as an adult, or comes back around somehow.
Speaking of... who is playing James Potter when he comes out of Voldemorts wand in GOF?
Adrian Rawlins. He also appeared as James in the previous movies.
Mr.StayPuft wrote:
didn't Rowling demand an all-british cast for the movies anyway?
Sort of. She has said she would like that, but I don't think she actually has power to make demands; the crew just generally likes to listen to her (same way they find out stuff in advance of the books to know what they must include and what can go). I do think they've done a great job though keeping it British. The only one that comes to mind as being American is Zoë Wanamaker, who played Madam Hooch, but that was a minor role. I remember when Spielberg was attached to direct Philosopher's Stone at one stage, he wanted Haley Joel Creepface to play Harry. :shudder:

Here is what the IMDb Trivia page for Philosopher's Stone has to say:
IMDb trivia page for Philosopher's Stone wrote:* Author J.K. Rowling insisted that the principal cast be British and she got her wish, with two exceptions - Richard Harris was, of course, Irish, and Zoë Wanamaker, though she has made her name as a "British" actress, is actually a US citizen. Other non-Brits in the cast include Verne Troyer, born in Michigan, USA, who plays Griphook (the second Goblin in Gringots' Bank) and Chris Columbus daughter, Eleanor Columbus, who played Susan Bones.

* Steven Spielberg was offered the position as director, but was later refused when he couldn't agree with JK Rowling's insistence on an all-British cast. He wanted to use Haley Joel Osment for the part of Harry.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#22 Post by Gren » 10 Oct 2005, 08:16

Nunis wrote:The only one that comes to mind as being American is Zoë Wanamaker, who played Madam Hooch, but that was a minor role.
And she is the most British American ever anyway.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#23 Post by Nunis » 10 Oct 2005, 08:17

Gren wrote:
Nunis wrote:The only one that comes to mind as being American is Zoë Wanamaker, who played Madam Hooch, but that was a minor role.
Yes. I also don't like to count Richard Harris as being not British. I mean, I know he was Irish (from Limerick, where I went to college), but I don't at all mind if they put Irish actors in the movies.

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#24 Post by Caulfield » 10 Oct 2005, 08:33

Nunis wrote:
Gren wrote:
Yes. I also don't like to count Richard Harris as being not British. I mean, I know he was Irish (from Limerick, where I went to college), but I don't at all mind if they put Irish actors in the movies.
New Dumbledore, Michael Gambon, is Irish as well I think.
I think McGonagall is Scottish, perhaps Dumbledore was really Irish.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#25 Post by Nunis » 10 Oct 2005, 08:38

Gambon is Irish as well yes, but from what I remember Maggie Smith isn't Scottish. The point is moot, however. As long as they stick to the major characters being played by people from the British Isles, I'm happy.