Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Info on upcoming movies -- links to trailers, gossip and buzz -- can all be found here.
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

#1 Post by Nunis » 03 May 2006, 22:10

Look, I know it's early since this won't be out until fall 2008, but rumours are flying around everywhere already.

For example, check out the director listed at IMDb.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/

Not that I believe it yet, but how awesome would that be? He's said he'd be interested in directing a Potter, and can't think of a better one than Prince. I guess we'll have to wait and see what The WB says. Most likely a rumour, but a nice one nonetheless.

Also, I figured maybe this was a good place to discuss casting. We have a slew of new characters in this one; any casting ideas?

Me, I'd cast Liam Neeson as Rufus Scrimgeour and Jeremy Irons as Fenrir Greyback, but hey, that's just me.

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#2 Post by Punisher » 04 May 2006, 01:18

Who's supposedly the director? I've gone retarded overnight and can't find any mention on the page.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#3 Post by alan smithee » 04 May 2006, 01:31

Punisher wrote:Who's supposedly the director? I've gone retarded overnight and can't find any mention on the page.
It had this man listed.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#4 Post by Nunis » 04 May 2006, 05:13

I guess it was just a rumour then. Bummer. But yes, this is what the page looked like this morning.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#5 Post by Nunis » 04 May 2006, 23:26

From Leaky:
WB also let us know that no one has yet been signed for Half-Blood Prince.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#6 Post by Nunis » 10 Jul 2006, 00:35

From Leaky:

Director M.Night Shyamalan in Sight to Direct HBP?
Coming Soon has posted a new interview with film director M. Night Shyamalan, where he comments on whether he has been approached to direct either Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, or the yet as un-named film version of Book Seven. He says he was asked about directing Sorcerer's Stone, and still is uncertain if he would undertake such a big project as directing a Harry Potter film. Quotage:

"You know, that Harry Potter dance has gone on a long time," he told us. "The problem is that it is a living breathing thing now, all by itself. When it comes over to my camp, it needs to be kind of handed over, adoption papers and everything. That's a tricky move.

"I haven't met with J.K. [Rowling]," he continued. "The first one was offered to me, but that conflicted with 'Unbreakable,' which was unfortunate. I would definitely, but I think probably before that I would adapt a book. I've gotten close a few times to adapting books."

NobodysFool
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7 Post by NobodysFool » 10 Jul 2006, 04:57

Nunis wrote:From Leaky:

Director M.Night Shyamalan in Sight to Direct HBP?
Oh dear god, I hope not...
Initiation's over Michael, time to join the club!

[250]wildcatca@yahoo.com[/250]

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#8 Post by F.N.G. » 10 Jul 2006, 07:31

what will the twist be?
spoilervision (just in case somebody hasn't read the book) wrote:Dumbledore's not really dead, Voldermort is Harry's father, Snape is Tonks in disguise?
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#9 Post by JJ » 10 Jul 2006, 08:19

F.N.G. wrote:what will the twist be?
spoilervision (just in case somebody hasn't read the book) wrote:Dumbledore's not really dead, Voldermort is Harry's father, Snape is Tonks in disguise?
Harry is impervious to everything but water.
La la la la la.

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by plaxii » 10 Jul 2006, 08:37

JJ wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:what will the twist be?
Harry is impervious to everything but water.

No it was harry was dead the entire time, while the school was in modern times!
I am in a world of shit

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#11 Post by Nunis » 14 Jul 2006, 00:32

More Shyamalan stuff from Leaky (well, PotterCast, but same difference).

Director M. Night Shyamalan will appear in an "In the Know" segment of our next PotterCast, due out Sunday evening. The acclaimed director has just created his first cinematic fantasy, Lady in the Water, and as such spoke with PotterCast about developing modern fantasy, creating new worlds, and, of course, Harry Potter: what he would do in the director's chair on a J.K. Rowling work and how missing his chance to direct Sorcerer's Stone "haunts" him.

The director, who is doing press for his new fantasy film, Lady in the Water, and has only ever presented films based upon his own creations, was asked earlier this week by ComingSoon.net if he would consider directing a Harry Potter; he said he'd been offered the first film, but at the time was working on Unbreakable and so couldn't consider it; he also said that "it needs to be kind of handed over, adoption papers and everything."

Here he clarifies that he would treat J.K. Rowling's source material as "sacred."

"I would be the greatest protector of an author's stuff," he said. "Especially things that I respect, that I know there's inherently magic in it. I would be very wary of screwing it up, so I would be very careful….There's no way that it would be missed by lack of effort or lack of care or lack of attention. I would be giving it every single iota...I would cherish it."

Misisng out on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone "haunts me," he said, "because in some ways it feels, like, perfect. A literal perfect match.

"The themes that run through it…the empowering of children, a positive outlook….you name it, it falls in line with my beliefs," he said. "I enjoy the humor in it. When I read the first Harry Potter and was thinking about making it, I had a whole different vibe in my head of it. [There would be] a lot at stake emotionally. The teaching of magic would be desperately needed, there would be a lot riding on it."

This and a lot more about Potter and fantasy coming with the interview on Sunday.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#12 Post by Nunis » 04 Aug 2006, 09:20

As always, from Leaky:

Scores of readers let us know that Box Office Mojo has updated their movie release schedule to include a new date of November 21, 2008 for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Back in March of this year, Potter film producer David Heyman also said that he anticipated a "Fall 2008" release for HBP. We should caution this possible release date is still very preliminary as they are still filming OotP, and no director has yet been hired for Half-Blood Prince. We are trying to confirm this possible November release date and will update with more when we can.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#13 Post by Nunis » 07 Aug 2006, 12:00

Nunis wrote:As always, from Leaky:

Scores of readers let us know that Box Office Mojo has updated their movie release schedule to include a new date of November 21, 2008 for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Back in March of this year, Potter film producer David Heyman also said that he anticipated a "Fall 2008" release for HBP. We should caution this possible release date is still very preliminary as they are still filming OotP, and no director has yet been hired for Half-Blood Prince. We are trying to confirm this possible November release date and will update with more when we can.
Yup.

As first reported on BoxOfficeMojo, the release date for the sixth Harry Potter film has been confirmed by WB as Nov. 21, 2008. This is by far the earliest we've ever had a release date for a Potter film, more than two years out. It does, however, follow the pattern that has developed since movie two: one movie in fall, another in summer, leaving about a year and a half between films since 2002.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#14 Post by Steel Frog » 11 Oct 2006, 07:55

What's the story on Emma Watson? Rumor has it she wants to be a real kid and forego movies #6 & #7. You UK guys know anything we US guys don't?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#15 Post by Nunis » 11 Oct 2006, 11:49

Steel Frog wrote:What's the story on Emma Watson? Rumor has it she wants to be a real kid and forego movies #6 & #7. You UK guys know anything we US guys don't?
We UK guys know that idiot reporters blow everything out of proportion. It happens every time someone on the inside makes any kind of statement. Here's the lowdown:

We at Leaky have received many frantic emails from readers regarding the slew of media reports trumpeting Emma Watson's supposed impending departure from the role of Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter movies. This recent spate of inflammatory media reports all stem from the Newsweek interview that we posted about on back September 24 . There were two articles in the magazine on Harry Potter,and in the first article Emma Watson is quoted after being asked about her participation the last two films. She said "I don't know yet. Every film is such a huge production, and it's a long time." In the second interview she expanded further on this subject saying the following:

Q: Do you think you want to be an actress for the rest of your career?
A: "I really don’t know. Daniel and Rupert seem so sure. I don’t know. I wouldn’t want “Harry Potter” to be the last thing I do. Nothing is ever going to be quite on the scale of this. I appreciate that. And also I’ve come into acting in such a funny way. Most people who want to act have to sit through hours of auditioning and work their way up, whereas I seemed to have come straight in at the top, having had no experience at all. That’s quite a strange position to be in, but amazing at the same time because it has given me so many options and choices. I definitely would like to try other films to see what it’s like. I’d really like to try some theater, actually, because I think I would really enjoy that immediate response from an audience. I love making people laugh. I love to perform, but there are so many things I love doing. [Pauses.] Maybe that seems ungrateful. I have been given such an amazing opportunity, but I’ll just have to go with the flow and see what happens."

As you can clearly see, she did not say she is definitely dropping out of the films as other media outlets have reported, but is simply uncertain about her future plans. Emma has made remarks similar to this in the past, and we should not take this to mean she definitely will not be back. So bottom line: take a deep breath and relax! We will update you should there be any change on this story at all.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#16 Post by Nunis » 16 Oct 2006, 07:55

Terry Gilliam: First Two Potter Films "Missed the Magic of it"

Director Terry Gilliam has given two new interviews where he discusses the Harry Potter films and his possible involvement in film six. Shooting down previous rumors that he might direct Half-Blood Prince, Mr. Gilliam says he will not be directing either of the last two films because WB "blew it."

In the first interview with the AV Club, Mr. Gilliam details again about being considered for the first Harry Potter film, and what happened when he did not get the job. He also bluntly states he will not be directing either HBP or the film of Book Seven because it is "a factory job."

AVC: For about five minutes, the IMDB had you pegged as directing the next Harry Potter film. You've spoken in the past about how angry you were to not have been chosen to direct the first one—

TG: Well, no. That's the wrong word, angry. I wasn't angry at all. Not in the least. It was just a factual thing. There was no way they were ever going to hire me. J.K. Rowling wanted me, the producer did, and they sent me out to L.A., but I actually went out there because it got me a free trip to deal with some lawyers on Don Quixote. There was no way I was ever going to make the film. I knew that. It shouldn't be seen that I was angry about it. It's just an acceptance of the reality of Hollywood.

AVC: You've described yourself as storming out of your home when you found out, and driving around town all night—

TG: Oh, no, that's different. I was angry at myself for allowing myself to get intrigued by the possibility during the meeting at Warner Bros. As I was talking about it, I managed to get myself excited, and I started inventing wonderful things. I was seeing all these executives' faces brighten up, and I managed to get myself excited about the project. I was so angry at myself for fooling me into getting excited about it. That's what I was angry at, not about Hollywood. [Laughs.]

AVC: If they asked you to do one of those films, would you?

TG: No. It's a factory job, is what it is. I don't like that. It's a big operation the way they run it now, and it's so heavily controlled by the studio, considering the kind of work I want to do. But it doesn't stop people on the web fantasizing about me doing the last one.

In a second interview with MTV, Mr. Gilliam frankly describes his thoughts on the the first three Harry Potter films as directed by Chris Columbus and Alfonso Cuaron.

TG: Alfonso Cuaron's ["Prisoner of Azkaban"] is really good, but the first two I thought were just shite. They missed the whole point of it; they missed the magic of it ... Alfonso did something much closer to what I would've done.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#17 Post by Gren » 16 Oct 2006, 11:06

I'm not sure he ever did, but particularly with ramblings like that, I don't think Mr. Gilliam has both oars in the water.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#18 Post by Nunis » 16 Oct 2006, 11:19

I agree with him completely. It is a "factory job". The first two were shite. And his vision probably would have been close to Cuaron's.

alan smithee

#19 Post by alan smithee » 16 Oct 2006, 11:50

Gren wrote:I'm not sure he ever did, but particularly with ramblings like that, I don't think Mr. Gilliam has both oars in the water.
re oars: Gilliam crashing Daily Show line
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#20 Post by Middle » 16 Oct 2006, 11:52

It would be absolutely awesome if Gilliam would direct the HbP! I think he is the most visually talented director around (well, mabe short of Tim Burton), and would be perfect for making a HP movie!
And I also thought the first two sucked. It was like looking at moving Madame Toussaud statues. 3rd and 4th were much better imo.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#21 Post by Nunis » 16 Oct 2006, 23:48

Agreed. I would love for him to do HBP and for Cuaron to come back for 7, but it ain't gonna happen. Now rumours are going around that Chris Columbus might come back (noooooo!) or that OotP director David Yates might continue (I guess we don't know yet if that's a good idea or not).

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#22 Post by Middle » 17 Oct 2006, 00:43

Nunis wrote: Now rumours are going around that Chris Columbus might come back (noooooo!)

NOOOOOOO!!!

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#23 Post by Agrajag » 17 Oct 2006, 16:06

alan smithee wrote:
Gren wrote:I'm not sure he ever did, but particularly with ramblings like that, I don't think Mr. Gilliam has both oars in the water.
re oars: Gilliam crashing Daily Show line
Wow... strange. Saw Tideland playing at an IFC theatre in downtown Manhattan this weekend, but decided to see an Off-Bway show instead of the film
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#24 Post by Nunis » 03 Nov 2006, 01:30

From Leaky:

Rumor: Michael Hoffman to Direct Half-Blood Prince

We have told you in the past about rumors of directors being considered for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. There is a new one today, from Dark Horizons (via Access Hollywood): American Michael Hoffman, director of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," "Restoration" and "Soapdish."
The article says that "An official announcement is expected on the helmer sometime before Christmas."

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#25 Post by Middle » 03 Nov 2006, 01:42

Nunis wrote:From Leaky:

Rumor: Michael Hoffman to Direct Half-Blood Prince

We have told you in the past about rumors of directors being considered for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. There is a new one today, from Dark Horizons (via Access Hollywood): American Michael Hoffman, director of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," "Restoration" and "Soapdish."
The article says that "An official announcement is expected on the helmer sometime before Christmas."
Hmmm, is this good or bad?