Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Info on upcoming movies -- links to trailers, gossip and buzz -- can all be found here.
bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#26 Post by bing » 03 Nov 2006, 13:09

m1ddle wrote:
Nunis wrote:From Leaky:

Rumor: Michael Hoffman to Direct Half-Blood Prince

We have told you in the past about rumors of directors being considered for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. There is a new one today, from Dark Horizons (via Access Hollywood): American Michael Hoffman, director of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," "Restoration" and "Soapdish."
The article says that "An official announcement is expected on the helmer sometime before Christmas."
Hmmm, is this good or bad?
A midsummer Night's Dream was terrible. Like possibly the worst shakespeare screen adaptation I've seen (including Hawke's Hamlet).

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#27 Post by Middle » 03 Nov 2006, 13:15

bing wrote:
m1ddle wrote:

Rumor: Michael Hoffman to Direct Half-Blood Prince

We have told you in the past about rumors of directors being considered for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. There is a new one today, from Dark Horizons (via Access Hollywood): American Michael Hoffman, director of "A Midsummer Night's Dream," "Restoration" and "Soapdish."
The article says that "An official announcement is expected on the helmer sometime before Christmas."
Hmmm, is this good or bad?
A midsummer Night's Dream was terrible. Like possibly the worst shakespeare screen adaptation I've seen (including Hawke's Hamlet).
Hmm, 6.3 on IMDB doesn't bode too well....
And 'one fine day' isn't exactly what I have in mind either when talking about Harry Potter... Anyway, why would they possibly want a director like this on the project? I mean, there have been a couple of fine directors (sans Chris Columbus, who inserted no imagination whatsoever) on the past films. It's not like they won't get the money back from the box office....
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#28 Post by Nunis » 09 Nov 2006, 00:05

From Leaky:

WB: Hoffman Not Half-Blood Prince Director
Earlier we reported to you that director Michael Hoffman was being considered as a director for the sixth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: WB has just reasserted that this is untrue and no director has yet been chosen

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#29 Post by Middle » 09 Nov 2006, 03:38

Earlier we reported to you that director Michael Hoffman was being considered as a director for the sixth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: WB has just reasserted that this is untrue and no director has yet been chosen
Well, that leaves us to speculation again, and dream about ideal candidates for nr. 6.
It would be so damn cool if someone completely unexpected would become the director. Like Fincher, or Darren Aronofsky. Those would make the franchise truly different...

How would Terry Gilliam do on this? (I think we already discussed this before though...)

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#30 Post by alan smithee » 09 Nov 2006, 11:22

m1ddle wrote:

Well, that leaves us to speculation again, and dream about ideal candidates for nr. 6.
It would be so damn cool if someone completely unexpected would become the director. Like Fincher, or Darren Aronofsky. Those would make the franchise truly different...

How would Terry Gilliam do on this? (I think we already discussed this before though...)
After the success of Tideland, I think Gilliam would at least do this cheaply.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#31 Post by Agrajag » 14 Nov 2006, 14:44

alan smithee wrote:
m1ddle wrote:

After the success of Tideland, I think Gilliam would at least do this cheaply.
After watching that clip of Gilliam outside The Daily Show, I'm not sure I really want him directing HP
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#32 Post by Nunis » 15 Nov 2006, 03:49

Discussing Gilliam is pointless. He won't ever do it. The odds are safer that Cuaron comes back.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#33 Post by Middle » 15 Nov 2006, 04:40

Nunis wrote:Discussing Gilliam is pointless. He won't ever do it. The odds are safer that Cuaron comes back.
You're right there... but then again, I wasn't saying he would be; I was only dreaming out loud...

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#34 Post by Nunis » 03 May 2007, 10:35

David Yates Directing HBP

Sci-Fi Wire reports that David Yates is confirmed to direct Half-Blood Prince.

As long-rumored, the director, whose first work on Potter has yet to be unveiled to the public, will be the second Potter director to direct back-to-back films. He told Sci-Fi Wire that:

"I am doing Half-Blood Prince, and I'm doing it because I love the world, I love the characters," the BAFTA-winning director said in an interview. "I think I have more business with this world and these characters."

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#35 Post by Nunis » 24 May 2007, 23:14

Oh, god I hope this actually happens. I've been saying we need him for years now. While I like the idea of Greyback, I think he's also be great at Scrimgeour. Or maybe Nighy as Greyback and Liam Neeson as Scrimgeour. That would be a dream come true.
Leaky wrote:Bill Nighy Talks a Possible Harry Potter Role

Actor Bill Nighy (Love Actually) has been promoting his new film "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," where he gave a new interview to the Washington Post and he spoke about wanting a possible role in a future Harry Potter film. The actor talked about his friend "Order of the Phoenix" director David Yates, and mention was made of the fact that he had appeared in two of Mr. Yates earlier films. Bill Nighy went on to express an interest in appearing in the Harry Potter series, especially now that David Yates is directing a second Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." Quotage:

"The actor says that when his friend David Yates, who had cast Nighy in the TV movies "The Girl in the Cafe" and "The Young Visiters" and the British series "State of Play," was named director of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (due out this summer), his heart leapt. "I joked with him that maybe now I wouldn't be the only actor in England who hadn't been in 'Harry Potter.' " And yet, he says, with a tone of mock heartbreak, "nobody called."

It may not be too late. "And now, apparently, he's doing the next one as well," Nighy says. "Somebody's got to talk to him."

Please note: we should caution the article continues on to speculate on a possible casting theory that has been popular among fans, but again this is only speculation by the reporter, not Mr.Nighy as the article reads:

"Mr. Yates, are you listening? If you've started working on "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," and you still haven't nailed down the casting of Fenrir Greyback, the werewolf, I've got just the man for the job. He doesn't need the work, but we could all use another one of his nutty experiences."

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is scheduled to begin filming later this summer with a release of November, 2008.

Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip

#36 Post by Impman » 08 Jun 2007, 04:07

I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Jackson have an attempt at Half Blood Prince, but there again he may take it to the extremes.

We need a director that will convey the darkness of the book, and the tragedy, Yates may be able to pull it off, and you shouldn't keep swapping and changing directors for each of the films, it only makes them seem disjointed.

I am going to have to re-read the book though before I comment on who I think should play the part of certain characters.
Save the Cheerleader Save the World

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#37 Post by Nunis » 26 Jun 2007, 00:42

In Search of the Perfect Person for Won-Won

Previously we told you there was to be an open casting call in the coming weeks for the roles of young Tom Riddle as well as Lavender Brown for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film. MTV now has an article online quoting director David Yates about his quest to cast the perfect person to play Lavender Brown, the girl who will capture WON-WON's fancy in the sixth Harry Potter film. The director has a test in mind, and it involves...snogging.

"You know what I'm going to do?" Yates said. "I never did this before, but I'm going to get Rupert together with the top five Lavenders, get him to come and read with them and snog with them. It's a chemical thing, and you want to feel that chemistry between them. That will help me decide." "Really?" Grint asked — since this was news to him. "Oh, wow, I didn't realize that. That's going to be interesting. It's going to be embarrassing."

Also confirmed in the article is that the role of Tom Riddle will not be performed at all by previous actor Christian Coulson. David Yates says

"I think Christian's a brilliant actor, and I thought it was a terrific piece of casting, but he's too old now," Yates said. ... "What I want is that equality of spirit," Yates said. "Someone who is odd, charismatic, cool, has a quite cold spirit which Voldemort embodies. If I find that, that's the most important thing."

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will begin filming later this summer and is due in theaters November, 2008.

Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip

#38 Post by Impman » 29 Jun 2007, 00:56

But before it comes out we all have the chance to read "The Deathly Hallows", I think the final book will have a bearing on how many go and watch Half Blood.

If it is a really shite book, then I am not too sure if people will bovver with Half Blood

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#39 Post by F.N.G. » 29 Jun 2007, 07:38

People will go and see the film anyway. And it's boTHer.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#40 Post by Nunis » 03 Jul 2007, 04:01

Now, what do you guys think this role is? I know they're casting a 15-18 year old in the role as 16-year-old Tom Riddle, but I think it's possible this guy is going to play a younger version, in the orphanage scenes. Certainly a 16-year-old would be necessary for the later young-Voldemort scenes, when he is at school and doing the Horcrux stuff, but wouldn't it make sense if they also had a younger kid? I mean, who else could it be? No, I think it's Tom Riddle, from when Dumbledore goes to see him at the orphanage to tell him about Hogwarts. Cool.

http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/search/display.var.1501584.0.taylors_potty_about_film_role.php wrote:Taylor's potty about film role

A YOUNG actor will swap the stage for the big screen after landing a mystery role in the new Harry Potter film.

Taylor Triphook, 11, was over the moon to be chosen to star alongside Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson.

But Warner Bros are keeping his role a secret - he won't find out more about his character until he starts filming in September.

Taylor said: "I can't wait to see and take part in such a huge film with so many famous actors.

"My dream is to perform on the West End stage and hopefully this will bring me closer."

Taylor found out about the role last Friday and his parents immediately arranged for him to have time off from St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Primary School, in Grays, for filming.

Proud dad, Tony, 53, of Meesons Lane, Grays, said: "Warner Bros won't tell us what part he is playing but he had to get permission to take the time off school.

"We're so proud of him. He has been so close before and was a reserve on Les Miserables. He also narrowly missed out on a role in The Sound of Music."

Taylor hones his singing, acting and dancing talents at the Sylvia Young Theatre School in London, where Corringham celebrity Denise Van Outen was a student.

He will film his scenes for the sixth installment of the series, called Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, over a six-month period in Hertfordshire.

The film will follow Harry in his sixth year at Hogwarts as Lord Voldemort and his death eaters are wreaking havoc throughout the wizarding world.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#41 Post by sldawgs » 03 Jul 2007, 06:07

Nunis wrote:Now, what do you guys think this role is? I know they're casting a 15-18 year old in the role as 16-year-old Tom Riddle, but I think it's possible this guy is going to play a younger version, in the orphanage scenes. Certainly a 16-year-old would be necessary for the later young-Voldemort scenes, when he is at school and doing the Horcrux stuff, but wouldn't it make sense if they also had a younger kid? I mean, who else could it be? No, I think it's Tom Riddle, from when Dumbledore goes to see him at the orphanage to tell him about Hogwarts. Cool.

http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/search/display.var.1501584.0.taylors_potty_about_film_role.php wrote:Taylor's potty about film role

A YOUNG actor will swap the stage for the big screen after landing a mystery role in the new Harry Potter film.

Taylor Triphook, 11, was over the moon to be chosen to star alongside Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson.

But Warner Bros are keeping his role a secret - he won't find out more about his character until he starts filming in September.

Taylor said: "I can't wait to see and take part in such a huge film with so many famous actors.

"My dream is to perform on the West End stage and hopefully this will bring me closer."

Taylor found out about the role last Friday and his parents immediately arranged for him to have time off from St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Primary School, in Grays, for filming.

Proud dad, Tony, 53, of Meesons Lane, Grays, said: "Warner Bros won't tell us what part he is playing but he had to get permission to take the time off school.

"We're so proud of him. He has been so close before and was a reserve on Les Miserables. He also narrowly missed out on a role in The Sound of Music."

Taylor hones his singing, acting and dancing talents at the Sylvia Young Theatre School in London, where Corringham celebrity Denise Van Outen was a student.

He will film his scenes for the sixth installment of the series, called Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, over a six-month period in Hertfordshire.

The film will follow Harry in his sixth year at Hogwarts as Lord Voldemort and his death eaters are wreaking havoc throughout the wizarding world.
I don't remember Tom Riddle breaking out in a song and dance, maybe they are going to make HBP a musical. ;) :lol:
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

alan smithee

#42 Post by alan smithee » 03 Jul 2007, 11:55

sldawgs wrote:
Nunis wrote:Now, what do you guys think this role is? I know they're casting a 15-18 year old in the role as 16-year-old Tom Riddle, but I think it's possible this guy is going to play a younger version, in the orphanage scenes. Certainly a 16-year-old would be necessary for the later young-Voldemort scenes, when he is at school and doing the Horcrux stuff, but wouldn't it make sense if they also had a younger kid? I mean, who else could it be? No, I think it's Tom Riddle, from when Dumbledore goes to see him at the orphanage to tell him about Hogwarts. Cool.

I don't remember Tom Riddle breaking out in a song and dance, maybe they are going to make HBP a musical. ;) :lol:
Potter!

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#43 Post by JJ » 03 Jul 2007, 12:58

alan smithee wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

Potter!
Harry!
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#44 Post by alan smithee » 03 Jul 2007, 13:01

JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

Potter!
Harry!
You're Both Right!

Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip

#45 Post by Impman » 05 Jul 2007, 03:27

More likely to be one of the Weasleys, with that colour hair

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#46 Post by sldawgs » 26 Jul 2007, 08:02

Looks like Naomi Watts may be slated to play Narcissa Malfoy. And Joseph Fiennes, Ralph's brother, in an unspecified role.
Last edited by sldawgs on 26 Jul 2007, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#47 Post by Middle » 26 Jul 2007, 08:07

sldawgs wrote:And Joseph Fiennes, Ralph's brother, in an unspecified role.
Maybe as Marvolo, or his son.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#48 Post by sldawgs » 26 Jul 2007, 08:16

David Yates on casting Lavendar Brown wrote:"You know what I'm going to do?" Yates said. "I never did this before, but I'm going to get Rupert together with the top five Lavenders, get him to come and read with them and snog with them. It's a chemical thing, and you want to feel that chemistry between them. That will help me decide."
Some guys just have such a hard (fnar, fnar) a life. I feel for you Rupert. :roll:
Last edited by sldawgs on 26 Jul 2007, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

TK421
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#49 Post by TK421 » 26 Jul 2007, 09:30

Middle wrote:
Stuart Townsend is also mentioned.

TK421
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#50 Post by TK421 » 26 Jul 2007, 10:06

TK421 wrote:
Middle wrote:
Stuart Townsend is also mentioned.
They wouldn't be so stupid as to make Townsend (aka Lucian the Werewolf from Underworld) play Fenrir Greyback, would they?