FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 11:00

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Hobbit
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2006, 05:06 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

This was posted on Theonering.net (got it through Aintitcool).
Looks like there will be no more Hobbit movies from Peter Jackson...
They'll probably hire Brett Rattner for this to screw it up...

Peter Jackson wrote:
Dear One Ringers,

As you know, there's been a lot of speculation about The Hobbit. We are often asked about when or if this film will ever be made. We have always responded that we would be very interested in making the film - if it were offered to us to make.

You may also be aware that Wingnut Films has bought a lawsuit against New Line, which resulted from an audit we undertook on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring. Our attitude with the lawsuit has always been that since it's largely based on differences of opinion about certain accounting practices, we would like an independent body - whether it be a judge, a jury, or a mediator, to look at the issues and make an unbiased ruling. We are happy to accept whatever that ruling is. In our minds, it's not much more complex than that and that's exactly why film contracts include right-to-audit clauses.

However, we have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved. This is simple common sense - you cannot be in a relationship with a film studio, making a complex, expensive movie and dealing with all the pressures and responsibilities that come with the job, while an unresolved lawsuit exists.

We have also said that we do not want to tie settlement of the lawsuit to making a film of The Hobbit. In other words, we would have to agree to make The Hobbit as a condition of New Line settling our lawsuit. In our minds this is not the right reason to make a film and if a film of The Hobbit went ahead on this basis, it would be doomed. Deciding to make a movie should come from the heart - it's not a matter of business convenience. When you agree to make a film, you're taking on a massive commitment and you need to be driven by an absolute passion to want to get the story on screen. It's that passion, and passion alone, that gives the movie its imagination and heart. To us it is not a cold-blooded business decision.

A couple of months ago there was a flurry of Hobbit news in the media. MGM, who own a portion of the film rights in The Hobbit, publicly stated they wanted to make the film with us. It was a little weird at the time because nobody from New Line had ever spoken to us about making a film of The Hobbit and the media had some fun with that. Within a week or two of those stories, our Manager Ken Kamins got a call from the co-president of New Line Cinema, Michael Lynne, who in essence told Ken that the way to settle the lawsuit was to get a commitment from us to make the Hobbit, because "that's how these things are done". Michael Lynne said we would stand to make much more money if we tied the lawsuit and the movie deal together and this may well be true, but it's still the worst reason in the world to agree to make a film.

Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.

However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.

Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.

Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us.

We have always had the greatest support from The Ringers and we are very sorry our involvement with The Hobbit has been ended in this way. Our journey into Tolkien's world started with a phone call from Ken Kamins to Harvey Weinstein in Nov 1995 and ended with a phone call from Mark Ordesky to Ken in Nov 2006. It has been a great 11 years.

This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects.

We send our very best wishes to whomever has the privilege of making The Hobbit and look forward to seeing the film on the big screen.

Warmest regards to you all, and thanks for your incredible support over the years.

We got to go there - but not back again ...

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2006, 05:42 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

m1ddle wrote:

Chris Tucker will be a great Gollum.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2006, 05:47 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

snotball wrote:
m1ddle wrote:

Chris Tucker will be a great Gollum.

[Don LaFontaine voice]This Chrismas........Arnold Schwarzenegger is........The Hobbit!!(stuff blowing up)[/Don LaFontaine voice]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2006, 05:31 
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

that's too bad, i would have been into The Hobbit if peter jackson were going to do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2006, 11:27 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Tec ... id=2681688

Nov. 27, 2006 — It may take another quest to the Crack of Doom, but there's new hope that Peter Jackson will return to direct "The Hobbit" and another "Lord of the Rings" prequel.

"Lord of the Rings" fans were in a frenzy last week, following the announcement from Jackson that New Line Cinema had sent a letter informing him that the film studio "would no longer be requiring our services on the 'Hobbit' and the 'LOTR' prequel."

Now, the producer who owns the screen rights to "Rings" writer J.R.R. Tolkien is telling German Web site Elbenwald.de that Jackson will be back, once New Line's contract expires.

"It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson," said Saul Zaentz, whose company owns Tolkien Enterprises.

"Next year, 'The Hobbit' rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios. To get his profit share on the 'Rings' trilogy, he had to sue New Line."

The wildly successful trilogy has grossed more than $3 billion worldwide. Jackson and the studio are at odds over accounting practices. In a lawsuit, the director has asked a third party to intervene.

"With us," Zaentz told the Web site, "he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation."

Gandalf Hopes Jackson Works Magic

A spokesman for Zaentz's company could not confirm Zaentz's comments, telling ABCNEWS.com that the producer was traveling. Jackson's media representative did not return a call on this matter.

Zaentz has produced such films as "Amadeus" and "The English Patient."

Science fiction Web site DarkHorizons.com was abuzz with the story. New Line had announced the project earlier in November, with an eye on releasing it in 2009.

Following news of the Jackson-New Line feud last week, actor Sir Ian McKellen announced his disappointment.

"On my own account, I am very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again as team leader. It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country," he said in a posting on his official site, which was excerpted on Dark Horizons.

McKellen is widely expected to reprise his role as Gandalf.

When we're living our dream

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 11:19 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Jackson and studios agree to make Hobbit films

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2007, 05:09 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

TK421 wrote:

Sweet :cool2:

When we're living our dream

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2007, 05:38 
Meh
Meh

Films? You mean there's more than one? Jesus, it never ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2007, 10:26 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Ze wrote:

You need your "everything>>>>>>>Peter Jackson" tag back ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2007, 10:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Ze wrote:

Judging by Return of the King, I think it ends, but it takes five times to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2007, 10:52 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

TK421 wrote:
Ze wrote:

Judging by Return of the King, I think it ends, but it takes five times to do so.

We can only hope that the homosexual undertones become overtones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2007, 10:57 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

JJ wrote:
TK421 wrote:
Ze wrote:

We can only hope that the homosexual undertones become overtones.

"Who wants to ride my warg?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2007, 05:09 
Meh
Meh

Steel Frog wrote:
Ze wrote:

You need your "everything>>>>>>>Peter Jackson" tag back ;)

Quote:
Peter won't be directing because he felt the fans have waited long enough for The Hobbit. It will take the better part of every day of the next four years to write, direct and produce two 'Hobbit' films. Given his current obligations to both The Lovely Bones and Tintin waiting for Peter, Fran, and Phillippa to write, direct and produce The Hobbit would require the fans wait even longer

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2008, 06:01 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Guillermo Del Toro to direct The Hobbit?

Oh, I'd like this to be true...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2008, 07:03 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Middle wrote:

:green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2008, 09:38 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

knarf wrote:
Middle wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2008, 09:40 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Steel Frog wrote:
knarf wrote:
Middle wrote:

Quote:
An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 08:00 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I was watching Shootout today on AMC and Guillermo del Toro was on mostly pumping Hellboy 2 and talking about Pan's Labrinth. There were also some questions about the Hobbit. It Looks like he will be driving the bus that takes the 14 to the lone mountian, but it also looks like there is still a lot of legal red tape slowing this down.

IMDB page

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 01:09 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

Nice interview with Guillermo Del Toro. Not earth-shattering, but man-oh-man I wish it was 2011.

Guillermo Del Toro On Making The Hobbit

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 11:45 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Tobey Maguire to play Bilbo

Apparently... I dunno.
He is kind of hobbitty

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 00:56 

The Hobbit Pulls a Spider-Man?

Fangeeks are gonna have to hold their horses. The precious is on hold again.

The pair of Hobbit movies has been pushed back to the end of 2012, according to Variety. The studio tells the trade the best outlook for the Lord of the Rings prequels is in the fourth quarter of that year, but even that's not set in stone.

First there was that drama with Sir Peter Jackson (yeah, he was knighted), then the estate of author J.R.R. Tolkien began battling over profits and now the delay is due to changes at New Line Cinema.

Here's what we do know: Jackson is producing, Hellboy's Guillermo del Toro is directing and, from the looks of it, Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis will be back in the fellowship for the two-parter. Plus, Orlando Bloom told MTV earlier this week that he'd be game to strap on his Elf wig yet again, and Cate Blanchett has also expressed interest in heading back to Middle-earth.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 04:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
The Hobbit Pulls a Spider-Man?

Fangeeks are gonna have to hold their horses. The precious is on hold again.

The pair of Hobbit movies has been pushed back to the end of 2012, according to Variety. The studio tells the trade the best outlook for the Lord of the Rings prequels is in the fourth quarter of that year, but even that's not set in stone.

First there was that drama with Sir Peter Jackson (yeah, he was knighted), then the estate of author J.R.R. Tolkien began battling over profits and now the delay is due to changes at New Line Cinema.

Here's what we do know: Jackson is producing, Hellboy's Guillermo del Toro is directing and, from the looks of it, Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis will be back in the fellowship for the two-parter. Plus, Orlando Bloom told MTV earlier this week that he'd be game to strap on his Elf wig yet again, and Cate Blanchett has also expressed interest in heading back to Middle-earth.

Read this on the IMDb frontpage. I jumped in my seat upon reading the title. But it only seems to be pushed back (probably because they can't find a good Bilbo). I'm alright with that, if that is necessary to deliver a good movie (or two).

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 01:25 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

And Guillermo is off the project again. Rumor has it Peter Jackson may step in again to direct.
Shame, really. I reall would have liked to see what Del Toro would have done with the film.

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 03:24 

Lets see if Terry Gilliam gets the rights lol

Peter Jackson got to be massive favourite, not sure who else would be up for it

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 05:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

dawson99 wrote:
Lets see if Terry Gilliam gets the rights lol

Peter Jackson got to be massive favourite, not sure who else would be up for it

Apparently, Sam Raimi's name has been dropped a few times as well. No cue what to make of it all, though.
What puzzles me most is why they would want to postpone this movie for 'financial porposes'. Since the other three movies pulled in somewhere around $2.5B in ticket sales alone, this wouldn't really struggle to bring in some money. Hell, I would invest in this, if I had the money for it...