The Office continued from Previous Threads

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#51 Post by kinggrl » 21 Mar 2005, 10:00

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#52 Post by Nunis » 21 Mar 2005, 10:18

Awful. :0star:

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#53 Post by Caulfield » 21 Mar 2005, 14:45

Possible spoiler

I just thought of a MAJOR problem the makers of the American version are going to run into. This may have been mentioned before, but American sitcoms (or television in general) have much less to do with art (and artistic integrity) and lots more to do with network rankings and how they translate into the almighty dollar. In other words, if, by some twisted miracle, this show becomes "a hit" is there a strawberry snow cone's chance in Hell they will end it after two seasons and one, two hour special? I think not. I mean look how long they milk "will they or won't they" romances! Maybe sexual tension can be drug along for 8 seasons here, but I'd say most people appreciate it when the couple in question just has sex. It's a literal relief for everyone involved! I’m digressing.
In short, isn't it highly unlikely that American television producers/execs... are going to leave us* wanting more as the original did?

*"Us" being those who watch and approve of the new version.

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#54 Post by Caulfield » 21 Mar 2005, 15:17

Thanks for the link.
I thought I'd paste some of the cleverer comments made about the new show on that website for everyone to make fun of... or, or ponder.

wow this looks awesome, im definetely watchin it
wow thanx, im define-atly glad.

This show is fabulous!
This, coming from someone who's login name is Dannii Minogue?

No laugh tracks on the previews. This is a big plus and I hope they keep it this way. Some of the best sitcom on TV right now doesn't have a laugh track (Scrubs and Arrested Development). Note to Producers: don't add a laugh track!
Wow. Someone knows what a "laugh track" is.

Oh God yes! Thank you NBC!
-Oh yeah, right there. Oh yes, yes, ooooooh yeah baby! Woohoo! Yes, YEs, YES, Yeeeeeeeeeesss...
-I'll watch what he's watching.

I love lamp
Finally, an intelligent response!

with all due respect you will never ever touch the bbc version of the show....but i guess this is what we can expect from america's TV providers these days...DOES ANYONE IN TV HERE IN THE US HAVE ANY NEW IDEAS... i guess not
That's right, this ain't no school essay my friend, just say how ya feel! Well said nonetheless.

and finally...
We know that eating at work can be a struggle - which is why we're glad we're FOODIE FRIENDS with THE OFFICE. Let's try and stay away from VENDING MACHINES and FRAPPUCCINOS, kay!
Did I miss an episode?

fishn4
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#55 Post by fishn4 » 25 Mar 2005, 19:11

I watched about 12 minutes of the American version the other night before changing the channel. Having seen the original it just seems like this one is trying way to hard and it is clearly a sitcom. While watching the Brittish version I had to constantly keep asking myself whether this was setup or a real documentary.

I think on NPR they wrapped it up really good in a review basically saying the main difference and downfall is that David Brent was a likeable character who you felt sorry for whereas the new guy on the American version is just a schmuck and an idiot.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#56 Post by snotball » 25 Mar 2005, 22:45

fishn4 wrote:I think on NPR they wrapped it up really good in a review basically saying the main difference and downfall is that David Brent was a likeable character who you felt sorry for whereas the new guy on the American version is just a schmuck and an idiot.
Before getting fired, I also thought that Brent was a schmuck and an idiot.
Bad dates

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#57 Post by Agrajag » 26 Mar 2005, 01:15

Best joke missing from the American version of the BBC Pilot:

"You won't do it"
"Well I did do it"
"Right! That could have killed someone!"
"Well then, they'll think you're the murderer"
"Why is that?"
"Because it has your name written on it."
"And why would a murderer write his name on his murder weapon."
"To keep people from borrowing it!"

Overall, disappointing simply because there were so many jokes that weren't as funny as the British episode. I think they're doing okay though, holding some long pauses, doing funny cuts (the best was during the meeting "No one ain't messin' with my chillun'" *cut to black guy looking pissed*). It was a clever idea to keep the pilot, but it just couldn't measure up. I hope the future episodes grow and get funnier. I did laugh during next week's previews when they're putting races on their foreheads to step into someone else's shoes and the black guy has "BLACK" on his head...

Anyone else miss the accent during the lines?

KM~
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#58 Post by Brodieman » 26 Mar 2005, 09:17

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I don't know if it was good enough for me to watch again though.

The only part where I really laughed was;

Dwight: Damit, he put my stapler in jello again.

Jim: (Eating jello) How do you know it was me?

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#59 Post by alan smithee » 26 Mar 2005, 12:53

Brodieman wrote:It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I don't know if it was good enough for me to watch again though.

The only part where I really laughed was;

Dwight: Damit, he put my stapler in jello again.

Jim: (Eating jello) How do you know it was me?
And it was red Jell-o in a cup, not the same yellow stuff the stapler was in (in the UK version, Tim, of course, is eating the same color gelatin out of a box).
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#60 Post by Fat Head » 26 Mar 2005, 14:03

nqsomp2smk2zm,z2 :mishchief: :mishchief: :mishchief:
mmm..from what i saw of the link i thought it was good (Am i the only one that thought this?) and yes I have of course seen the British one which was of course fantastic. I dont watch many american programs apart from the ones they import to the UK....Seinfeld I enjoy, however i was suprised that this clip contained so many references to racism,I thought this going to the US would have all that taken out (I may be wrong, as stated before I dont know that much about US tv and I have only seen the clip provided).

"I thought I ought to add a get out clause at the end to avoid being flamed"..one learns from the past

Rxfan
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#61 Post by Rxfan » 27 Mar 2005, 03:03

Fat Head wrote: "I thought I ought to add a get out clause at the end to avoid being flamed"..one learns from the past
Image:"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can."

:)

#62 Post by Guest » 28 Mar 2005, 10:39

Im with those who couldnt bare to watch the american version after the first 5 mins of it.

I am curious to see what happens after they run through all the British shows scripts. Aren't most american sitcoms 16 episodes per season?

alan smithee

#63 Post by alan smithee » 28 Mar 2005, 13:31

Anonymous wrote:Im with those who couldnt bare to watch the american version after the first 5 mins of it.

I am curious to see what happens after they run through all the British shows scripts. Aren't most american sitcoms 16 episodes per season?
Except they aren't going to use the British scripts.

And, no, most are more than 16.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#64 Post by snotball » 27 Apr 2005, 13:22

I'm probably going to be stoned here, but after watching the first five episodes of the American version, I think it's way better than I expected it to be (Well, since the first episode uses the exact same script as the in the British show, I'll ignore it). Jim, who's the American version of Tim, not only somewhat resembles him, but also reminds him with his body language. Dwight isn't as amusing as Gareth and Michael Scott reminds a lot of David Brent, but still isn't him.
Bad dates

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#65 Post by Odd Todd » 27 Apr 2005, 13:41

I agree with you... it's much better then it has a right to be... still can't hold a candle to the original.

The characters are all pretty good... with the exception of the boss... where Brent came off as stupid but loveable... this boss comes off as just unlikable.

The receptionist is cute and funny... and the Tim character (also great)... funny you ask... he is on the home page for IMDB today...
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#66 Post by Brodieman » 27 Apr 2005, 15:56

I've been waiting for someone to post somthing like this so I could agree. I hope it gets picked up just for one more "season", but no more. I do enjoy Jim "The American Tim", and some of the smaller characters. I do agree about Dwight and Michael not being as good as their british counterparts.

And I am in love with...

:love2:

alan smithee

#67 Post by alan smithee » 27 Apr 2005, 17:38

I think we (who've posted) are all on the same page. Though Pam is way too into Jim for my taste. At least, I enjoyed Dawn not seeming that into Tim (Pam keeps giving him glances) in the UK version.

kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#68 Post by kinggrl » 28 Apr 2005, 03:43

I can't watch it. I just can't. Maybe if they come out on DVD, I'll rent them.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#69 Post by snotball » 28 Apr 2005, 03:44

alan smithee wrote:I think we (who've posted) are all on the same page. Though Pam is way too into Jim for my taste. At least, I enjoyed Dawn not seeming that into Tim (Pam keeps giving him glances) in the UK version.
Have we both watched the same series? Dawn couldn't stop herself from giving Tim those nonstop jealous stares, when he dated that girl on the second season.
Bad dates

#70 Post by Guest » 28 Apr 2005, 09:23

Hands down, I prefer the original, but...the NBC version, while inferior, is still better than most of the dreck we call sitcoms. I'd watch it over Will & Grace, Committed, and whatever other "sitcoms" are on in a heart beat (with the exception of Scrubs). I think NBC has enough cleaning up to do without worrying about this show.

veronica
Producer
Producer

#71 Post by veronica » 28 Apr 2005, 09:25

This was actually a comment from me--tricky guest function!
Anonymous wrote:Hands down, I prefer the original, but...the NBC version, while inferior, is still better than most of the dreck we call sitcoms. I'd watch it over Will & Grace, Committed, and whatever other "sitcoms" are on in a heart beat (with the exception of Scrubs). I think NBC has enough cleaning up to do without worrying about this show.
"In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions of what we found out, that each one of us is a brain, an athlete, a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal." -The Breakfast Club

Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#72 Post by Brodieman » 28 Apr 2005, 11:35

Anonymous wrote:Hands down, I prefer the original, but...the NBC version, while inferior, is still better than most of the dreck we call sitcoms. I'd watch it over Will & Grace, Committed, and whatever other "sitcoms" are on in a heart beat (with the exception of Scrubs). I think NBC has enough cleaning up to do without worrying about this show.
I agree. I would not watch NBC if it wasn't for Scrubs, The Office, and E.R. (I'm gone as soon as Carter leaves the show.)

alan smithee

#73 Post by alan smithee » 28 Apr 2005, 11:48

snotball wrote:
alan smithee wrote:I think we (who've posted) are all on the same page. Though Pam is way too into Jim for my taste. At least, I enjoyed Dawn not seeming that into Tim (Pam keeps giving him glances) in the UK version.
Have we both watched the same series? Dawn couldn't stop herself from giving Tim those nonstop jealous stares, when he dated that girl on the second season.
That was second series, not second episode, though. I felt that we witnessed Dawn getting more into Tim over time, whereas Pam is clearly into Jim already. (Then again, I haven't seen the UK version for quite a while -- sounds like I may need a refresher course.)

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#74 Post by snotball » 28 Apr 2005, 12:11

alan smithee wrote:
snotball wrote:
That was second series, not second episode, though. I felt that we witnessed Dawn getting more into Tim over time, whereas Pam is clearly into Jim already. (Then again, I haven't seen the UK version for quite a while -- sounds like I may need a refresher course.)
I didn't feel that Pam was showing interest in Jim any more than Dawn was with Tim. The only thing that I missed in the American season, considering I still haven't watched the last episode, is the part where Tim went out and told Dawn his true feelings.
Bad dates

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#75 Post by fivestyle » 02 May 2005, 08:53

Im starting to like the American version, I agree with the poster who said that its better than most of the other shows that are out now.
RISE!!!