Third "Star Wars" Trilogy?

Info on upcoming movies -- links to trailers, gossip and buzz -- can all be found here.
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Third "Star Wars" Trilogy?

#1 Post by alan smithee » 23 Oct 2009, 00:37

(from here)

A new 'Star Wars Trilogy' on the horizon?
22 Oct 09 4:52p
John Couture wrote:You know the old saying, "never say never."

Well, it seems that George Lucas didn't learn his lesson with the prequel trilogy or last year's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull about when to let sleeping dogs lie.

According to 3D Movie blog MarketSaw, Lucas and his cronies are seriously considering a new trilogy of films to add to the Star Wars landscape. Of course, the rumor (and I use that term loosely at this point) comes not from traditional movie news sources so that might curb or lend credence to its veracity.

The key to these new movies happening or not seems to be the success of James Cameron's Avatar opening on December 18. If the movie is runaway hit as many people think it will be, then the new Star Wars movies would become more feasible. However, if it bombs (as I think it might -- at least relatively speaking), then the galaxy far, far away will stay there.

Man, now I'm really torn on Avatar.

One other interesting tidbit from the source is that Lucas will not direct the new movies, instead hoping to convince his good pals Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola to step behind the camera.

Hmm, now that could be interesting. As could the idea of doing a trilogy after the original Star Wars movies. Timothy Zahn wrote an excellent trilogy of books set in the post Jedi universe. Even more intriguing, if they set it far enough into the future after Jedi, then Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher could all reprise their roles.

I guess like all good things, time will only tell...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Lobelia Overhill
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Re: Third "Star Wars" Trilogy?

#2 Post by Lobelia Overhill » 23 Oct 2009, 01:29

As I remember there were 'always' going to be 9 Star Wars movies, 3 trilogies, the 3rd one being set after ANH, ESB and RotJ ...
"Did I not just use the word 'puzzling'?"

Image Image Image

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#3 Post by sldawgs » 23 Oct 2009, 03:21

Lobelia Overhill wrote:As I remember there were 'always' going to be 9 Star Wars movies, 3 trilogies, the 3rd one being set after ANH, ESB and RotJ ...
I remember that too.
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#4 Post by snotball » 23 Oct 2009, 05:48

sldawgs wrote:
Lobelia Overhill wrote:As I remember there were 'always' going to be 9 Star Wars movies, 3 trilogies, the 3rd one being set after ANH, ESB and RotJ ...
I remember that too.
:green:
Bad dates

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#5 Post by knarf » 23 Oct 2009, 06:49

That was what Lucas originally planned, but at one point he was actually satisfied with just Anakin's story.

Then he decided he wouldn't be satisfied until he pissed on all of our childhood memories.

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#6 Post by Sela » 23 Oct 2009, 07:30

Ain't It Cool News wrote:Shocker! Lucasfilm says this rumored new Star Wars trilogy filmed in 3-D is a buncha malarkey!

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. The nice folks at MarketSaw ran a hardcore rumor today, claiming a source has told them that Lucas is planning a new Star Wars Trilogy to be shot in 3-D... And that he wasn't directing, but there was rumor of Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola finally getting to make their Star Wars movies.

Yeah, so if that didn't smell already check the wording of the article...

"Well it is coming from a source that SHOULD KNOW. This source is absolutely connected. So odds are it is seriously being talked about at Lucasfilm. Right now. Will it happen? AVATAR will have to hit and hit big and then all the stars have to align properly - all I can do is pass on the info."

That's repeated a few times in the article, saying that Avatar has to be a success for the 3-D screens to be there or there will never be new Star Wars movies ever! So you better make sure Avatar does super good!

Sounds to me like their source is someone at Fox trying to get some people to believe that by buying a ticket to Avatar they're ensuring new Star Wars movies to me.

That said, stranger shit has happened, so I contacted Laura Wuhlhammer of Lucasfilm's Public Relations department and asked her about the rumor. This is the first response:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your email. Lucasfilm is not currently working on a 3D version of the Star Wars movies.

Best,
Laura
Wait... that reads like a denial of them actively working on retrofitting the Original Trilogy to 3-D. So I wanted to make damn sure what she was saying, be positive she wasn't snaking around the question, so I wrote back a clarifying email, distinguishing the OT and PT 3-D-ification vs. a whole new set of Star Wars movies.
Hi Eric,

We do not have any Star Wars theatrical movies planned.

Thanks,
Laura
That's more like it.

Now, I will say that Lucasfilm would be the last place to confirm a rumor as true... even if it is (they did that a lot back in the day... I remember them denying Ewan McGregor was cast as Obi-Wan for the entire month leading up to their announcement), but this story already stinks of untruth (especially with Coppola's name being thrown in there... read this), so I think it's pretty safe to call BS on this one... especially with Lucas so engulfed in the live action TV show at the moment.

I think the part about Lucas waiting for 3-D screens is true, but so he can restart the 3-D versions of the first 6 movies and send them out as huge rereleases not to start a brand new trilogy. I've seen the test footage of the opening of A New Hope in 3-D and it's really great. Would love to see him to follow through on that.

We have some feelers out to more informal sources who might be more inclined to confirm any truth to this rumor than a PR person, but I expect we'll turn up nada. If we do find anything else interesting we'll update this article.

-Quint
8 more months of school.....

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#7 Post by Odd Todd » 23 Oct 2009, 23:38

I don't know how I feel about this...

But I do know that I am still enjoying the hell out of The Clone Wars. Didn't much care for the movie that hit off the series... but the series has been everything I was hoping for plus much better animation than I was expecting from it.

And I credit the series success to the limited manipulation from Lucas. So maybe if he didn;t have much if anything to do with the next 3... it could be possibly... maybe... bareable?
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#8 Post by Ruddy016 » 24 Oct 2009, 11:45

Odd Todd wrote:I don't know how I feel about this...

But I do know that I am still enjoying the hell out of The Clone Wars. Didn't much care for the movie that hit off the series... but the series has been everything I was hoping for plus much better animation than I was expecting from it.

And I credit the series success to the limited manipulation from Lucas. So maybe if he didn;t have much if anything to do with the next 3... it could be possibly... maybe... bareable?
Agree with you on this one, The Clone Wars has been really good.
Gunga Na Gunga

Lobelia Overhill
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#9 Post by Lobelia Overhill » 25 Oct 2009, 01:34

snotball wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
I remember that too.

phew, so it wasn't an hallucination then!
"Did I not just use the word 'puzzling'?"

Image Image Image

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#10 Post by JJ » 27 Oct 2009, 08:04

Ruddy016 wrote:

I agree, too. Except for the part about it being good.
La la la la la.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#11 Post by Odd Todd » 27 Oct 2009, 12:20

JJ wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:

This from the man that still hates Arrested Development.
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#12 Post by JJ » 27 Oct 2009, 14:14

Odd Todd wrote:
JJ wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:

This from the man that still hates Arrested Development.
I agree with this post.
La la la la la.

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by You Know, for Kids » 29 Oct 2009, 07:41

Lobelia Overhill wrote:
snotball wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
I remember that too.

phew, so it wasn't an hallucination then!
Here's how I recall it:

Lucas supposedly had outlined the plot for a 9 movie saga, split into 3 trilogies. Of those, the second trilogy and specifically episode 4 had the most potential to work for a stand-alone feature film and thus Star Wars was born. The "Episode IV: A New Hope" was added when the movie was re-released 3 years later in advance of The Empire Strikes Back. I may have that wrong and it may only have been "Star Wars: A New Hope" as I recall that Empire was "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" upon release. The third part of the middle trilogy was originally to be named "Star Wars: Revenge of the Jedi" and much promotional material exists with that moniker, but they decided Revenge was not the Jedi way and it was changed to Return.

Around the time of RotJ's release, Lucas talked about creating the third trilogy, stating that he wanted to wait quite some years to see how the main players aged, leaving the possibility of more movies open, but setting expectations for a timeframe pretty low.

Toys continued to sell, and the three movies were re-released in theaters and on video several times over. Lucas opted to pursue the first trilogy, and I believe he strayed a lot from his original plot, honestly. Decisions were made from a purely marketing perspective and it shows.

Lucas still clearly has a market for three more movies, should he ever choose to pursue it. I hope he makes better decisions next time around if it does come to fruition.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#14 Post by JJ » 30 Oct 2009, 12:25

If two suns refused to shine,
I don't mind, I don't mind.
If Tatooine fell in the sea,
Let it be, it ain't me.
Got my own world to live through
And I ain't goin' to Naboo.

Now, if 6 movies turned up to be 9,
I don't mind, I don't mind.
If all the wookies cut off their hair,
I don't care, I don't care.
Did, 'cos I got my own world to live through
And I ain't gonna be shoutin' "Nooooooooooooooooo"!

White-collar billionaire flashing down the street
Pointing his figurine finger at me.
He's hoping soon I'll buy some plastic Jedi,
But I'm gonna wave my Captain Kirk figure high . . . HIGH!

Hah, hah
Falling sith lords just don't fall on me
Point on Mister Lucasman,
You can't impress me.
Nobody I know want more fraggle rock
I've got my own life to live
I'm the one that's gonna have to die
Not some Emperor Palpatine
So let me live my life the way I want to.
La la la la la.