The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Message
Author
User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#226 Post by sldawgs » 07 Sep 2012, 08:26

Mazer wrote:Just watching one of these right now, so dug up this thread. Can a mod add The Artist to our lists on the first page? Checked off for me.
:check:
Mazer wrote:Also:
Going My Way :2.5stars: Blandly enjoyable, but it might have been better if there was a real antagonist at any point, rather than issues solvable within a couple scenes. Also, I realize it was of a different era, but I found the neighbourhood busybody reporting on the woman with her gentleman caller and then the priest running over to investigate very offensive.
:check:
Mazer wrote:Also:
Terms of Endearment :3.5stars: Solid, but I never got too into it. Many of the mother/daughter scenes did ring true to me. The saying goodbye to the kids scene, which I'd been warned was heartbreaking, was. I just didn't love how episodic it was, even though I know that was the point, to show the relationship over time. And yes, a great performance by Maclaine particularly.

Check marks please?
:check:
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#227 Post by sldawgs » 07 Sep 2012, 08:28

Who else has seen The Artist?
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 50679
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#228 Post by knarf » 07 Sep 2012, 13:36

sldawgs wrote:Who else has seen The Artist?
:green:
Image

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#229 Post by Mazer » 07 Sep 2012, 20:09

Thanks, dawgs!

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#230 Post by sldawgs » 07 Sep 2012, 20:16

Mazer wrote:Thanks, dawgs!
Sorry it took so long, or maybe I'm not. :mishchief: fnar, fnar
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#231 Post by Nunis » 12 Sep 2012, 07:36

sldawgs wrote:Who else has seen The Artist?
me

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#232 Post by sldawgs » 12 Sep 2012, 08:30

Nunis wrote:
sldawgs wrote:Who else has seen The Artist?
me
Yes, My Queen. :check:
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 50679
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#233 Post by knarf » 29 Mar 2013, 15:20

Argo

86/86
Image

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#234 Post by sldawgs » 29 Mar 2013, 16:16

knarf wrote:Argo

86/86
:green:
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
Posts: 12428
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 08:59
Gender: Male

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#235 Post by bratzks » 28 May 2013, 17:02

sldawgs wrote:
knarf wrote:Argo

86/86
:green:
Me too.
Image Image Image

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#236 Post by Mazer » 06 Jun 2013, 21:08

Yep, Argo was the only one of the nominees I managed to see.

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#237 Post by Mazer » 04 May 2014, 16:28

Around the World in Eighty Days :3.5stars: Amusing. I recognized some cameos, could tell by the presentation of other characters that they were cameos, even if I didn't know who, and I'm sure some just sailed right by me. Really a succession of pieces, some of which were fantastic, and others which went on too long (bull-fighting). Great sailing shots.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33604
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#238 Post by Steel Frog » 06 May 2014, 09:57

Mazer wrote:Around the World in Eighty Days :3.5stars: Amusing. I recognized some cameos, could tell by the presentation of other characters that they were cameos, even if I didn't know who, and I'm sure some just sailed right by me. Really a succession of pieces, some of which were fantastic, and others which went on too long (bull-fighting). Great sailing shots.
If memory serves, this was the original gratuitous cameo film: "Ah, so now we're in a saloon in San Francisco ... and there's Frank Sinatra."

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#239 Post by sldawgs » 06 May 2014, 10:41

Steel Frog wrote:
Mazer wrote:Around the World in Eighty Days :3.5stars: Amusing. I recognized some cameos, could tell by the presentation of other characters that they were cameos, even if I didn't know who, and I'm sure some just sailed right by me. Really a succession of pieces, some of which were fantastic, and others which went on too long (bull-fighting). Great sailing shots.
If memory serves, this was the original gratuitous cameo film: "Ah, so now we're in a saloon in San Francisco ... and there's Frank Sinatra."
Wikipedia lists 49 cameos, including a Frank Sinatra on piano.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#240 Post by Mazer » 12 May 2014, 17:27

sldawgs wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Mazer wrote:Around the World in Eighty Days :3.5stars: Amusing. I recognized some cameos, could tell by the presentation of other characters that they were cameos, even if I didn't know who, and I'm sure some just sailed right by me. Really a succession of pieces, some of which were fantastic, and others which went on too long (bull-fighting). Great sailing shots.
If memory serves, this was the original gratuitous cameo film: "Ah, so now we're in a saloon in San Francisco ... and there's Frank Sinatra."
Wikipedia lists 49 cameos, including a Frank Sinatra on piano.
Yeah, I caught that one. It was kind of hard to miss, what with the repeated random shots of the back of the piano player's head, and then the reveal where the camera lingers after the key players have left so he can turn and show his face.

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#241 Post by Mazer » 13 May 2014, 16:52

All the King's Men :4stars: [rating seems high, but it's definitely better/I enjoyed it more than 80 Days] An intriguing portrait, although it may be the most abrupt Face-Heel Turn I've seen - "so, there are rumours, are you taking bribes?" "Yeah". I think the movie was a little too black and white in it's present - he seemed so ludicrously evil that I found myself wondering how everyone stayed with him. But then I think about politics these days and what people have managed to recover from/had revealed and it doesn't seem to affect them, so maybe it's not that bizarre.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 50679
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#242 Post by knarf » 23 Feb 2015, 09:59

I added Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). Let me know if you need it (or anything else) marked off.
Image

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 29931
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#243 Post by Batman » 23 Feb 2015, 22:43

87/87
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#244 Post by Mazer » 24 Feb 2015, 19:33

knarf wrote:I added Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). Let me know if you need it (or anything else) marked off.
It can be checked off for me, thanks!

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#245 Post by sldawgs » 24 Feb 2015, 19:42

Mazer wrote:
knarf wrote:I added Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). Let me know if you need it (or anything else) marked off.
It can be checked off for me, thanks!
:check:
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 29931
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#246 Post by Batman » 25 Feb 2015, 01:13

Batman wrote:87/87
I didn't realize they were counting Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans as a Best Picture winner. If so, I'm 88/88.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#247 Post by sldawgs » 25 Feb 2015, 05:43

Batman wrote:
Batman wrote:87/87
I didn't realize they were counting Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans as a Best Picture winner. If so, I'm 88/88.
Yeah, most lists I see do include it. Probably because they only split the awards ("Best Picture, Unique and Artistic Production", "Best Picture, Production") that first year.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 50679
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#248 Post by knarf » 23 Mar 2016, 07:27

I added Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) Spotlight. Let me know if you need it (or anything else) marked off.
Image

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 29931
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#249 Post by Batman » 27 Aug 2016, 02:20

I forgot to add my viewing of Spotlight as a Best Picture winner. I'm 89/89.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34586
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Oscar Race (1st Place: knarf)

#250 Post by sldawgs » 04 Mar 2018, 20:58

91/91

The Shape of Water
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Post Reply